ccowden

Stephen King

Marten is not Flagg, but,

Marten Broadcloak is Walter O'Dim is Randall Flagg (who just happened to be good at being "dim" in The Stand). He is also referred to as "Legion" in The Stand and identifies himself as "Legion" in The Gunslinger. Common names between The Stand and Eyes of the Dragon include "Flagg" and "the Dark Man". It became perfectly obvious in The Drawing of the Three, but the seed was already set in the first book of the series with the Legion alias.

Blues,
Dave

Well wasn't one of the points that King made in the final book of the dark tower series that almost all his books were about the dark tower... ie big hairy spider monster from IT.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Well wasn't one of the points that King made in the final book of the dark tower series that almost all his books were about the dark tower... ie big hairy spider monster from IT.

more afterthought.

nonetheless, i seriously dropped my book in frustration when i learned he had written himself into the series. very blatant and tasteless...

(granted, some of his characters are King-like. some are authors, live in maine, were/are teachers, worked in laundry.... but this obvious grandiose display just stuck in my craw)

Marten Broadcloak is Walter O'Dim is Randall Flagg (who just happened to be good at being "dim" in The Stand). He is also referred to as "Legion" in The Stand and identifies himself as "Legion" in The Gunslinger. Common names between The Stand and Eyes of the Dragon include "Flagg" and "the Dark Man". It became perfectly obvious in The Drawing of the Three, but the seed was already set in the first book of the series with the Legion alias.

Blues,
Dave

Not to mention the Turtle in IT... ;) Yeah, you're right, I was just trying to show that the interconnectedness of it all started much sooner than the last book in the series. Given that SK started the Dark Tower in like 1973 or so, it stands to reason that ideas would pop up in his other novels. There were occasional glitches, but overall I love the way he did it.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

but overall I love the way he did it.

i don't. i think he started off with something great and then threw a whole bunch of shit in there....

kind of like the matrix movies.

To each their own. I mostly agree on the Matrix movies...there was sooo much more potential to explore. That said, I did just buy the Matrix box-set two days ago. ;)

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I did just buy the Matrix box-set two days ago.

Didn't you need to buy something worth more? Like used toilet paper? or broken scissors handles?

The matrix-series really was the biggest piece of crap of all time. But at least it was hyped up.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I would say that on the whole I was let down by The Dark Tower. I feel that I waited for so long and it was for naught. I also think that From a Buick 8 was total crap, crapity crap, crap crap.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Blues,
Dave

Yeah, my bad. But I was going with early stuff since the connection is not made till Book 4 (and thus would add to the , "he pulled it out of his ass" argument).:ph34r:
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

Might as well give the man his own thread!

Is anyone else in the SK Library? I am. I have all his hardcovers.

I actually like some of his "newer" books. Needful Things, Desperation, The Dark Half. But his older ones are classics!

On page 560 of the 7th book of the Dark Tower series - good stuff

I would read more SK books if i had them. I don't buy books at retail. I buy books at the used book store or library book sales where the books cost about $1 each. At my old job a few of us traded books and i loved that. But now that i work with a bunch of guys...im not sure they can even read.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

At my job they have this Book exchange... I only read one book off of it, because most of the other books are freaking romance novels, and such... however I am currently reading "The Thousand and One Nights" at work and at home I am reading "Utopia" In the library here I stumbled across the American Military Medicine Textbooks one is for Ballistic Injuries, Blast Force Injurues, and Burn Injuries the pictures are awesome in that book... the other one is the textbook of NBC
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

nonetheless, i seriously dropped my book in frustration when i learned he had written himself into the series. very blatant and tasteless...

(granted, some of his characters are King-like. some are authors, live in maine, were/are teachers, worked in laundry.... but this obvious grandiose display just stuck in my craw)

How is that tasteless? I thought it was clever. He has a true near death experience and decides to use it in a story he's been writing for 20 plus years. I don't see how that's grandiose or tasteless. Then again I'm actually a fan.

I liked how the Dark Tower ended. It was a total mindfuck that left me angry and wanting something more. :D

--------------

(Do not, I repeat DO NOT, take my posts seriously.)

My job is my pergatory... 16 hours on 16 off with no end in sight untill we hire a new EMT and even then when we want to hire them it takes six months for thier initial security clearance
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

My job is my pergatory... 16 hours on 16 off with no end in sight untill we hire a new EMT and even then when we want to hire them it takes six months for thier initial security clearance

Does someone need a hug? :)

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

sick sick sick. all claim to be SK fans, but virtually no mention of Carrie, 'Salems Lot, Christine or The Dead Zone. ALL classics. and NO mention of The Mist or Firestarter. and what about the amazingly creepy stories in Night Shift?? how about The Boogeyman? i couldnt sleep for months with my closet door open "just a crack". Night Surf is a prequel to The Stand, and Jerusalems Lot is the prequel for 'Salems Lot (very much Lovecraft inspired).
stories in Night Shift that have been made into movies (most horrible BTW) -
Trucks
Sometimes They Come Back
The Lawnmower Man (King sued the writer/dirctor)
The Boogeyman (Frank Darrabont)
The Woman In The Room (Frank Darrabont)
Quitters, INC.
The Ledge
Night Shift
The Mangler

Frank Darrabont went on to direct The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile.

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

The Dark Tower series is my favorite and The Gunslinger in particular. I've read it at least 8 times now.

I've also read everything Anne Rice and her pen name have written and used to read Dean Coontz and John Saul but got a bit bored with them.

I knew I'd finally find one redeeming quality about you evenutally. :)
The first 4 books of the DT series were better than the last 3, although I did like him writing himself into the tale. And I was pissed at the ending -- reminded me of the whole "it was just a dream" thing on Dallas years ago....even though I wasn't a fan, I still thought it was a cop-out.

'The Long Walk' is still my favorite King story.

Try reading the 'Frankenstein' books by Koontz. New modern twists on an old tale.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."