ccowden

Stephen King

The Tower encompasses everything, including King himself and the books he is writing about the Tower. Its all a circle.

that's the part I didn't like. The series didn't start off that way..... .

Huh? The series started out, "The black man fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed". You don't think either of those characters tie into other books? :S

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Huh? The series started out, "The black man fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed". You don't think either of those characters tie into other books? :S

Fill me in then... what non-Dark Tower books did either of those characters tie into?

Dark Tower is not horror or even suspense, but these are my favorite books by King
You're saying lobstrocities, the thinny, and all those mid-world freaks are not horror? Only thing that p[issed me off was how long it took for him to finish the series. I was really PO'd at the first DT book when they were on Blain, riddling to save their lives...and then ....nothing for like 10 years!

Speaking of the Dark Tower series... see if you can get these phrases out of your head! Once they got in mind, I had a dickens of a time getting them out! :D :D :D :S :S

Did-a-chick
Dod-a-chock
Dum-a-chum
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Four pages, and no-one's mentioned "Black House," the sequel to "The Talisman." Interesting continuation of the series, and does in fact tie into the rest of the books which have DT characters.

And I loved "Eyes of the Dragon" too...

Arlo, yes, it was a black Grand Torino, George Stark, the psychopomps...

Good stuff...next time I've got some extra time, I think I need to revisit some old friends and some old creepy enemies.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I knew Flagg was the bad guy in:

"The Eyes of the Dragon" & "The Stand"... i don't know about any others.

later Dark Tower novels refer to him as Flagg, but I recall him either as man in black or Marten in "Gunslinger" and "Drawing of Three".

i think just pulled it out of his ass.....

I dont' like him anymore. I got tired of having to sleep with the lights on. :D

Do you think his kids would ask him for bed time stories when they were young?

(Dark Tower is one of my favorite series)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

i'm in the nashville airport waiting for a flight to raleigh-durham. in the bookstore I picked up Everything's Eventual, 14 Dark Tales. Anyone read them? How are they? I've always been a big fan of SK's shorts... (stories that is, not boxers):ph34r:

-the artist formerly known as sinker

Fill me in then... what non-Dark Tower books did either of those characters tie into?

Black man equals Randall Flagg of The Stand (amonst other references...he's Stephen King's ultimate bad guy regardless of the name he goes by). The gunslinger is Roland...he appeared in Eyes of the Dragon, Black House, Insomnia, and Hearts in Atlantis at a minimum, was mentioned in The Stand, and seems awfully related to Jack Sawyer of the Talisman.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

The only thing that tied in at the time was The Stand.

I think he tied it in after the fact in later Dark Tower books.

In The Stand, while the travelers are crossing the desert, you'll find the line "like a man named Roland walks through another desert far away".

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

I think he tied it in after the fact in later Dark Tower books.

In The Stand, while the travelers are crossing the desert, you'll find the line "like a man named Roland walks through another desert far away".

that's MUCH more concrete than your previous post... however it doesn't point out the link between Flagg and the man in black (Marten). That correlation is drawn much later in the Dark Tower series and in real time (years and years)

Marten is not Flagg, but,

Drawing of Three mentions Flagg:

"The Dark Tower II: The Drawing of the Three
We only hear mention of a being called Flagg in DT II. Roland relates that he has known magicians and enchanters, and that he had seen Flagg long ago, as the final crash approached his land: “One of these men had been a creature the gunslinger believed to be a demon himself, a creature that pretended to be a man and called itself Flagg....Hot on his heels had come two young men who looked desperate and yet grim, men named Dennis and Thomas....he would never forget seeing Flagg change a man who had irritated him into a howling dog.”
The two grim men Roland mentions are Dennis and Thomas from the Eyes of the Dragon. Remember, we were told that they would have “many and strange adventures, and that they did see Flagg again, and confront him.” Peter in the EotD also shared Roland’s thought that Flagg was a demon rather than a man."

So, even in the second book, King was tying other characters together. Not to mention Dennis and Thomas.

Thsu, we have, that as early as the second book in 1987, he was already incorporating ideas from his other books. While I don't think he has always known the extent that it would go, I do think he planned the connections for quite some time.

And really, who says that you have to a seven book series plotted out entirely from the beginning? That is kind of absurd.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

Ooh yay! A Stephen King thread!

I've read nearly everything he's ever written except for The Colorado Kid which I have in paperback here on my desk. I have boxes and boxes of first editions that I just can't seem to part with. The Dark Tower series is my favorite and The Gunslinger in particular. I've read it at least 8 times now.

I've also read everything Anne Rice and her pen name have written :$;) and used to read Dean Coontz and John Saul but got a bit bored with them.

--------------

(Do not, I repeat DO NOT, take my posts seriously.)

George Stark drove the "High Toned Son Of A Bitch." The actual make of the car is slipping my memory at the moment. George Stark, who is the fictitious writer Thad used to write several books, comes to "life" as the cool killer in his books, Alexis Machine. Awesome character!

Thad/George are also mentioned by the sheriff in Needful Things (along with Cujo; all of which happened in the same setting.).

i'm in the nashville airport waiting for a flight to raleigh-durham. in the bookstore I picked up Everything's Eventual, 14 Dark Tales. Anyone read them? How are they? I've always been a big fan of SK's shorts... (stories that is, not boxers):ph34r:

Haven't read all of the stories in Everything's Eventual yet, but the one that stands out is the Autopsy one. Thought it was pretty good.

Marten is not Flagg, but,

Marten Broadcloak is Walter O'Dim is Randall Flagg (who just happened to be good at being "dim" in The Stand). He is also referred to as "Legion" in The Stand and identifies himself as "Legion" in The Gunslinger. Common names between The Stand and Eyes of the Dragon include "Flagg" and "the Dark Man". It became perfectly obvious in The Drawing of the Three, but the seed was already set in the first book of the series with the Legion alias.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)