phoenixlpr

Before reline, Dracon or Spectra?

How well does it fit in your current dbag and container?

That is one thing I would consider, the step up to Dacron is going to add a bit to the pack volume.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Is "Dracon" similar to Dacron? :D

If so, I had a Spectra Triathlon relined with Dacron, and also had a Samurai relined with it. On a 7-cell the bulk was noticeable but not bad. On a 9-cell the bulk makes a serious difference, ie you likely want a size larger container.

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder is on the money when it comes to the bulk of dacron lines. There is however much much more to consider.

I will leave it to whom I consider an expert.

Consider the following.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=search_results&search_forum=all&search_string=dacron&search_type=AND&search_fields=sb&search_time=&search_user_username=billbooth&sb=score&mh=25
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Dacron has more elasticity than SPECTRA and is as mentioned more bulky. Dacron therefore will make your opening softer. Amazingly Spectra after a while shortens a bit especially the steering lines which are more subject to friction from the slider (heat caused by friction get the Spectra lines shrinking). If you don't have hard opening problems, go for the Spectra which is a more modern material and what I believe is less likely to burn your cells in case of a packing done a bit too fast.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

This is really a matter of preference and what you are using the canopy for.

Dacron is a good choice if you are doing CRW or softer openings are really important (injury, age). The tensil strength is lower, but the elasticity of the line keeps it resilient. It may help little if you have been wacked from not slowing down enough on a wingsuit jump before you pitched (though it would just be better to slow down more)

The negative of Dacron is higher pack volume and higher drag. The increased drag will result is a slightly slower full flight speed = slightly weaker flare.

Spectra is a more modern material with a higher tensil strength. However, due to its characteristic shrinkage from heat friction, it will go out of trim sooner than Dacron will get weak. Within 300-400 jumps it will have changed by 600-800 jumps it may be so out of trim that it opens hard and doesn't flare as well anymore.

So, Spectra is a lower pack volume better performing line set, but you may find yourself replacing it a few hundred jumps sooner.

Other than rigging, my experience is based on owning a Triathlon 175 with Spectra and a Hybrid Triathlon 160 with continuous center lines and Spectra.

Hope this helps, Hixxx
death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when

I have a Triathlon(RW) just before reline. It has Spectra lines now.

I don't know what line set to choose.
I jump mostly with wingsuit.
Any ideas? Thanks!

Depends on what you want from it:
Dacron stretches (softter openings for old backs)
Spectra doesn't

Spectra can slice/dice/etc your CReW partner
Dacron less likely to

Dacron takes up more container space
Spectra doesn't

Spectra can more easily catch under loose container grommets
Dacron, less so

Dacron creates more drag on smaller canopies
Spectra makes little difference on big canopies

Spectra works better (easier to install) Soft Links
Dacron makes you want a size larger link

etc...

For me:
Spectre 230 recently relined with Dacron
Reasons - wanted CReW prep, old back wanted even softer openings

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

I bought a used Spectre 190 for a second rig. The sellers described the canopy and said that it came with a new lineset. I was told (at least I swear I heard) that it had Spectra lines.) I was pissed when it showed up with Dacron! I called and was told I could return it within two weeks if I didn't like it.

Though I feel it is a little more docile than my other Spectre 190 with Spectra lines, it has become my primary canopy. I think the Dacron even makes packing a little easier, as the heavier weight of the lines tends to make them fall toward the center of the pack job.

I vote Dacron, hands down.