Peej

Titanium Removal

I broke my fib and tib a little over a year ago now and i know that i need to have the screws and the plate taken out in another six months or so.

What i'm wondering is how does the procedure work, can anyone who's had it done shed some light?

Is it painful?

How long does the procedure take?

Do they put you in a cast again?

Will i be able to walk out of hospital or is it more time on crutches?

What about physio therapy? Will i need more after the op?

Any info is appreciated :)

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

I'm having it done next month, but I also went through it 6 years ago with my other ankle. Its pretty straight forward- they go in through the original incision and remove the plate and screws. They shouldn't put you in a cast- just stitch it up and wrap it in gauze. You might be able to walk out of the hospital (should be outpatient) but I was told to bring my crutches just in case it was too sore to walk on. Then, take it easy for about 6 weeks (nothing high impact) while you bone grows back. I doubt you will need PT. Good luck!

Thanks Tigra!

I can tell the time to have it out is getting close. For the first time since i had the metal put in the skin over the screws is starting to become really sensitive. My body wants it out!

But your reply has set me at ease, thanks again!
PJ

Had mine out earlier this year. Was in overnight, got up on the AM on 2 crutches, down to 1 crutch by the afternoon and was walking fine the day after.

Wasn't painful at all, I refused the morphine and just had a couple of paracetomol a couple of hours after I came round.

I didn't need any physio at all, just had to pop to the hospital evry few days to get the dressing changed and the wound inspected (I had them taken out early as I had infection behind a plate and they wanted to keep an eye on it).

All in all glad they came out early, I feel like I've got much better mobility since they came out as I broke the tib and fib right at the bottom.

"This isn't an iron lung, people. You can actually disconnect and not die." -Dave

(I had them taken out early as I had infection behind a plate and they wanted to keep an eye on it).

Wow, i didn't know that was possible :|

All in all glad they came out early, I feel like I've got much better mobility since they came out as I broke the tib and fib right at the bottom.

Sweet, i broke them in the same place.

Thanks for your reply! :)

I got the infection because I came off my mountain bike and scraped all the skin off one pin and a bit off the plate were poking out :S. Even though I rinsed it well and scrubbed it clean something nasty got in behind the plate. Bloody swelled up like a bastard over a couple of days and immobilized my ankle so I couldn't walk. That actually hurt more than the removal of the pins.

Luckily due to our excellent health service here in Jersey I went in to the hospital the afternoon of seeing the doc, had the op that evening - and it didn't cost me a penny.:)

"This isn't an iron lung, people. You can actually disconnect and not die." -Dave

expect pain for years later

Really? [:/]

So far i think i've been lucky, apart from the pain immediately after the surgery i haven't suffered much. Lots of people said it would hurt duriing winter but nothing thus far (Granted it doesn't get super cold here. I think my two weeks in Austria this winter will be the real test tho :S:D)

Any pain after the hardware is out is probably arthritis, but not everyone develops that. My understanding is it depends on the fracture(s), how much cartilage you lost, that kind of thing.

And if you are uneasy about general anesthesia, you can usually opt for a spinal- you're awake during the surgery but you don't feel a thing and they give you so much "happy stuff" you really don't care that they are cutting open your ankle.

.... I refused the morphine...

This is the part I don't understand....;)

When they stuck the metal in me in the first placethey stick an IV morphine thing in to which I could control myself. Apart from getting in the way when I got the nurses to move my bed to the smoking area I discovered, rather disapointingly that morphine sulfate makes me feel like puking:S I prefer my opiates unrefined :)

And if you are uneasy about general anesthesia, you can usually opt for a spinal- you're awake during the surgery but you don't feel a thing and they give you so much "happy stuff" you really don't care that they are cutting open your ankle.

Oh no, i'm a "knock me out cold" kinda guy :D I love my sleep and I find that waking up after that anesthesia sleep is like the best rest you can get!

I kept the screws! I mean, I did not go back to have them taken out. You should see what I paid (well, the insurance company paid) for those suckers !

There is no way I am having those suckers removed!!!!
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

Yeah the cost of having them removed is something that's on my mind for sure (even though medical aid will be paying) but i've heard that our bodies don't really like having metal inside them.

Don't they bother you at all?

My screws and plate bothered me, that's why I had them removed.

I was put in a removable walking cast for about a month after the hardware was removed. The doctor was worried about a spiral brake. The screws leave a hole in the bone, and if you are not careful, you can do a spiral break from the holes.

As far as the amount of pain from getting the hardware removed, I guess it depends on how big of an incision has to be made, and how much metal needs to be removed. Keep in mind you are being cut on again, and any time I get cut open, I'm in pain for a few days.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Thanks Flyangel!

I have six screws and a plate in one side (the outside of my leg) and a single screw in the other (i can never remember which is fib and which is tib :$)

Hopefully it won't be too bad. I'll probably ring my doc in a few days anyway and ask what it's going to involve.

Thanks again
PJ

Nope doesn't bother me at all... In fact, I rarely remember that I have them there (except for VERY COLD days, I feel some tingling, that's all).

During the last visit to the Orthopaedic he menitoned that removing the screws is "optional" and there is a small possibility of the screws "breaking", but he continued by saying that even if they break in place, removal is not a problem. So, I opted to keep the souveniers installed in my body ....

Check with your Dr. if there are any long-term effects to having the extra metal in place ....
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

Yeah the cost of having them removed is something that's on my mind for sure (even though medical aid will be paying) but i've heard that our bodies don't really like having metal inside them.

They don't bother everybody. I've had mine for over 10 years now. No problems....

linz

They don't bother everybody. I've had mine for over 10 years now. No problems....

linz

Do you beep the metal detectors when you go through them??

"Sir, You can't say bomb on an aeroplane!"

I think true friendship is under-rated

Twitter: @Dreamskygirlsa