j0nes

Funny names

Ever met someone with an odd name and you thought.... what were their parents thinking?

In some cases, the names are from a different culture, so there is no way they'd know. But the American parents should know better:

1) Richard Hunter - he never went by Dick

2)I guess Bich is a common Vietnamese name. I knew this guy named Bich, the killer was his last name... he was Bich Bang.

3)Ke Gu. This guy is Chinese, so you say the last name first. The first name can be pronounced "Key" or "Kah" so it sounds like "Gookie" or "Gooka".

I think a thread like this came up before, but I laugh still whenever I think about this. I went to prep school (Baylor) with a guy named...

"Happy Dicks"

After graduation he went on to play football at Georgia.

"He's down to the 30, the 20, the 10, and it's a touchdown! Georgia's on the scoreboard with Happy Dicks!"

:D :D :D

Ima Hogg and the Hogg family are big names in Houston - wealthy philanthropists or something...

So THAT's where Boss Hogg of Dukes fame came from! :D:D:D

But boy, what a rotten apple! :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

2)Bich is a common Vietnamese name. I knew this guy named Bich, the killer was his last name... he was Bich Bang.

Bich is definitely a first name........Bang on the other hand is not (killer) it has many different meaning, but not a killer....you were misinformed.
"Love is doing small things with great love."

Lacrosse: Legally beating men with sticks since 1492

Ima Hogg and the Hogg family are big names in Houston - wealthy philanthropists or something...

I've heard a story over the years about the two Hogg sisters... Ima and Ura. Any truth to that? Was it just Ima?
Thanks!

Chuck

The actor Jason Lee named his kid Police Inspektor

Well, if we get into what "celebrities" name their kids, that opens up a whole new area ....:D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

My parents use to run a theater. One woman on the board of directors was named Betty Titsworth.

:D

Then there's the same-name types.

There was a guy in my biochemistry class named Charles Manson (he was born before the murders)

There was this distant great uncle of mine who was a preacher. He was named Jim Palmer. Now I live in Maryland, and there was a very famous pitcher for the Baltimore Orioles named Jim Palmer. This great uncle of mine is like in his 90s, so obviously he had the name first. But when people would rib him about his name, he'd just say, "Well, I pitch for Jesus, and my team NEVER loses!"B|

Oh, there is this guy who is known as the world's greatest beer connoisseur. He's written a lot of books about beer too. He's a white man from England, but his name is Michael Jackson.
:P
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Then there's the same-name types.

There was a guy in my biochemistry class named Charles Manson (he was born before the murders)

I was watching TV last night with the kids, that movie with Sly Stalone as a frozen then melted cop...

It's set way in the future, the guy having a parole hearing the same day as 'Simon' the bad guy...

Scott Peterson..:D

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I've heard a story over the years about the two Hogg sisters... Ima and Ura. Any truth to that? Was it just Ima?
Thanks!

Chuck

Never heard of Ura - methinks that story just spun off of the real Ima as a joke. I mean, really, WHY would anyone with that family name christen their daughter Ima?

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?