artistcalledian

Static line jumpers, best to ignore them?

In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shesh. The funny thing is I bet half the folks that bash the SL system have no clue about the SL system.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Skydive Radio #16 @ 14:36

Bill Booth bashing the static line system.

Bill is big in this sport, but he is not HALF now is he?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I think AFF is a better system than SL

Based on? Do you have ratings in either?

I do.

AFF is better for freefall skills. But, most AFF grads are missing some vital skills IMO. They don't learn to pack, can't spot, and are afraid to get out low more than SL students.

Good freefall skills are almost everyones goal. So the SL folks might take longer to get there, but they work on it and get there. Not many AFF grads work on packing, spotting, and low exits. I'd trust a SL student to pack my rig and spot for me WAY over an AFF grad with 20 jumps.

Both programs can be good. But after 7 levels, two "Spots", one 5,000 foot exit, and a packing class AFF folks are on their own to learn those skills. SL folks learn those early. These are skills that can save your life. Turning points in time never saved anyones life.

I had a guy once tell me that I would never be very better than him since he learned AFF and I learned SL.

Funny thing is I have not seen him place 7th in open 4way at the nationals.;)
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"Turning points in time never saved anyones life. "

Aye, another thing worth considering Ron.
By the time they have the same license, a static line student will have way more landings.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

uhm.

Maybe I can help:

Very few americans have a sense of humor compatible with yours, they just sorta dont get it. It was a horrendous shock to me too. Comedy here mostly sucks because of it, with a few major exceptions (who remain mostly quasi celebrities. Bill Hicks)

Americans cannot and do not ever understand dry humor, it's beyond them - with a few exceptions ("I've had British friends before", "I watch PBS", "I'm operating at a level slightly higher than mildly retarded" are comonly cited examples)

They need HUGE signposts like....

"hey, those static line guys huh! crazy! they OFFEND ME (HUR HUR HUR)...ya know? should we just kinda ignore them? (HEE HEE HEE)."

At this point they understand it and everyone gets to laugh (while I go douse myself in gasoline and hunt for a match).

On the flip side you also have the ability to say whatever comes into your head during important meetings: "Yes Sir, you're a drooling spigot of flatulence" and it's always written off as 'that whacky English guy" rather than "He who speaks the truth".

In conclusion, these here americans startle easy. Try to use subtle clues such as

[JOKE][/JOKE] tags.

OR
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I've found that most Americans realize what is in close proximity to either of those will pick up on intended humor. I think perhaps the difference in the way their lips move when hitting square brackets and emoticons snaps them out of the 'read/breathe' rhythm they get into. It's actually quite cute, like watching monkeys learning to use tools.

Except for Sudsy, mostly you'll have to send him a private message around the same time and explain the joke to him or he starts flinging poo everywhere.

i've been reading this topic whilst at work, i'm going to reply to all your kind words when i get home...but this post made me sit laughing my knackers off :D

Based on watching people go through the systems. I never said my opinion was worth a damn, just that this is what I think. Although I suppose that by better, maybe I meant easier.

But, most AFF grads are missing some vital skills IMO. They don't learn to pack, can't spot, and are afraid to get out low more than SL students.

As a general rule I suppose you're right, but for nitpicking purposes:P I was learning packing from day 1 and packing for myself after 10 jumps and less than a week in the sport. I know some static line graduates that can't pack at all.

I had a guy once tell me that I would never be very better than him since he learned AFF and I learned SL.

Funny thing is I have not seen him place 7th in open 4way at the nationals.

I would never say that either system turned out better skydivers, after all you get out what you put in right?
So yeah, all I meant was that AFF seems to me to be an easier system to learn with.

(But is easier actually better? You've started me thinking now and I hate having to do that);)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I guess then no more pillow talk for us, as I learned with the S/L. But way back that's all they had to offer, and yes, we sat on rocks in the FJC:ph34r:

Side note: Just keep posting, if some of the other posters don't enjoy your threads and your replies, they don't have to read them. I myself get a good laugh from you:ph34r:
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

You know those poor people who do static line jumps? is it best to ignore them and pretend they don't exist? i mean come on ! who would do such a thing and show the world you can't afford AFF :o they make my eyes bleed when i have to look at them, they should be removed from my line of sight when i enter the DZ

Who thinks us real skydivers should not associate with such riff raff?

That, is hilarious!

Chuck

In Reply To

Based on watching people go through the systems. I never said my opinion was worth a damn, just that this is what I think. Although I suppose that by better, maybe I meant easier.

OK fair answer. But I think SL is MUCH easier. You have very little to do on each level, it is spoon fed to you one little bit at a time. In AFF #1 you have to do plenty:
1.Climb out
2.Arch
3.COA's...And during these COA's you have to get the hand signals and then perform the task, then check to see if you have it correct
4.Pull at an altitude
5.Handle any mals
6.Fly the canopy to landing.

SL you have to:
1.Climb out
2.Arch
3.Handle any mals
4.Fly the canopy to landing.

2nd jump on AFF you have tons more to do...SL its the SAME as the first jump.

Sure you don't learn as fast in SL but there is much less work than on an AFF jump.

Faster, I'd give you. But easier? Not in my opinion, and I have taught both.

In Reply To

But, most AFF grads are missing some vital skills IMO. They don't learn to pack, can't spot, and are afraid to get out low more than SL students.

As a general rule I suppose you're right, but for nitpicking purposes I was learning packing from day 1 and packing for myself after 10 jumps and less than a week in the sport. I know some static line graduates that can't pack at all.

True, but can you spot? Can you exit at 2500 feet in a second?

But is easier actually better?

I don't think so...But while I think AFF is a good system, I think it has some very large areas it needs to be improved on. And it is not inherent to the AFF system to work on those areas. SL it is.

Of course it depends on the DZ...But in most cases AFF only DZ's turn out students that can't pack, can't spot, and are affraid to exit low at a higher rate than SL only DZ's.

AFF is better for freefall skills. But, most AFF grads are missing some vital skills IMO. They don't learn to pack, can't spot, and are afraid to get out low more than SL students.

I will agree that my canopy control skills came along a little slower as a PFF student (Canada) and that my freefall skills progressed far more quickly.

BUT... I learned to pack and spot along the way. I had my packing endorsement for my A license BEFORE I had my solo certificate. I was a little apprehensive on my first hop and pop, but getting out low doesn't bother me either. (Just my 2 cents)

...the door was open

SKYDIVERGIRLS.COM

I like Ian's sense of humour, makes me giggle 90% of time. He isn't a troll, he's a wind up merchant.

:o how dare you say i'm a wind up merchant !

Oh come on, you know damn well that you post stuff that is gonna get a rise out of people

:o not me sir !

its not big and its not clever

what isn't? a retarded dwarf?

Uh JenN, someone going through a static line progression can learn to pack to you know. lol

I understand that Nick, my point was in reference to the comment that AFF student's "DON'T" learn to pack. Which is an incorrect comment b/c I did learn to pack. By the best packing teacher at that. :)

...the door was open

SKYDIVERGIRLS.COM