Gary73

Strange Freebag

Can anyone identify what kind of container this freebag belongs to? It's made of a heavy, ripstop fabric and is about 10" high by 16" wide at the mouth. Manufacturer didn't put any markings on it. Thanks!

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

Do you think this is from old gear or from something contemporary?

If it is old, then there were several rigs in the early 80s or thereabouts that had such a design. The Altitude Shop Corsair is an example of one of these rigs. I don't recall the names of other similar rigs, probably because I didn't own one of them.

But the picture doesn't seem to be of a 20+ year old freebag to me, so I might be pointing you in an entirely wrong direction.

Hi Gary,

When ParaPhernalia ( who made the Northern Lite at the time ) first began to put squares in their reserve containers they did not do any marking on the free bag.

I first came across this on a repack of one of their rigs and asked Tom Classen, who worked for them at the time, and his comment was "We have to eat don't we?"

I thought his comments were in very poor form ( and I considered him a personal friend ).

I also felt ( and feel ) that any and all free bags should have some type of marking so that a rigger in the field can determine if they are FAA-OK or not.

And if you cannot, just don't pack it. But this is only my thoughts,

JerryBaumchen