rsmn17

Went for my pre-lasik consult and.....

the staff was more interested in my skydiving than explaining the procedure!!! I guess this is normal for people who don't meet "crazy people" every day, but come on! I kept asking questions and they answered them all but it took soooo long because they kept asking me questions about skydiving. I only told them because I wanted to know when I can jump again. Don't think I'll ever bring that subject up again. I'm going on 12/29!! Wish me luck!

Coulda been worse; at least they eventually answered your question. I've had at least 2 doctors (1 G.P. and 1 ophthalmologist) flatly refuse to answer questions "When can I return to skydiving after [whatever] heals?" They each basically said to me "I'm not going to give you any medical advice that you can skydive." Now I never mention skydiving to a doctor if I can avoid it, and when I ask "the question" I couch it in terms of some other sport or activity.

Yeah, ask when you can go running, play soccer or softball again. Running has much more impact than landings for me. While individual landings may be more impactful (like flaring early, ground speed, etc.), running does much more damage due to the constant pounding.

Try explaining skydiving to your Hematologist when you are a hemophiliac. They are especially easy to convince.:S

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

I'm headed on 12/19 to get mine done. My doctor is a pilot and told me I would be fine to skydive but due to certain military studies with SF type guys and freefall that he suggested LASEK (similar to PRK) instead of LASIK.

Chris
--------
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy s#$* what a ride!'"

when i had my shoulder repaired, jumping was the only thing the nurses wanted to ask me about. it was kind of weird to be in the hospital, and talking nonstop about skydiving... even my anesthesiologist while he put me under. guess he thought it made me relaxed. :S
life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.
(helen keller)

I just had my eyes done (LASIK with Intralase) in November. I had great results and am really happy with my decision. I took one weekend off from jumping and was back in the air 10 days later. It wasn't that big of a deal, frankly. Get yourself some tight goggles *without* vents, and go for it. I used the simplest pair of goggles I could find (the kind we give our students) and cranked them down, and was good to go.

Good luck with your surgery. And when they ask "Would you like a Valium?" beforehand, the correct answer is: "Absolutely!"

Cheers,
--Q

PS: I had previously spoken with my doc about skydiving and she was cool with it in that timeframe.
-----
Chris "Q" Quaintance
ccqquaintance.com
D-23345

...And when they ask "Would you like a Valium?" beforehand, the correct answer is: "Absolutely!"

Shoot for the moon and ask for demerol instead...never hurts to ask.:D:D

I have SO long thought about having this done...jumping with glasses just plain SUCKS! But, alas, I'm too chicken-hearted to let sombody go cuttin', slicin' and dicin' on my eyeballs....just can't bring myself to do it.

Good luck...let us know how it turns out.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

the staff was more interested in my skydiving than explaining the procedure!!! I guess this is normal for people who don't meet "crazy people" every day, but come on! I kept asking questions and they answered them all but it took soooo long because they kept asking me questions about skydiving. I only told them because I wanted to know when I can jump again. Don't think I'll ever bring that subject up again. I'm going on 12/29!! Wish me luck!

Laugh.... Last time I went to the doc he asked me about my activities. I told him... He was interested in the skydiving, but we talked for more than 45 minutes about my concert lighting jobs as he is in a band and plays all the local bars.

I'm on the doctor end of things, and a lot of patients know I jump, so get quizzed just as much about jumping as about eyes ;) The closing pin necklace I wear gets a lot of women complimenting it, so of course it comes up in conversation.

My seizure doc had a holy hissy fit when he found out I jumped. (I have been seizure free for over a year). Docs are funny that way!

Hope your surgery goes well, and I second everyone else on have that valium:)

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda