fpritchett64

What Can Cause a Pilot Chute in Tow?

I didn't notice if it was mentioned yet but a mis-routed bridle will cause a PCiT as well. i.e. routed under the flap where the pilot chute won't pull the closing pin.

This is what I figured would be one of the major causes and should be 100% preventable, the whole point in me making this thread. How can you misroute a bridle if you're paying attention and know what you're doing? This is another reason I posted a separate thread in the safety and training section about shouldn't we know more about our gear?

I've seen this happen twice in my short skydiving career. The first time the offender changed his closing loop in the car on the way to the dropzone and somehow got the bridle under the closing flap. The worst thing on this one is he had several closing loop checks before he got on the plane because he was worried about it being too loose and a pin check just before he got out. Now when doing a pin check I always check the routing of the bridle to make sure it goes directly from the closing pin to the PC.
The other time was a newbie with about 35 jumps. He had enough jumps where nobody was checking on him but not enough to know what he had done. Again, he had at least 1 pin check before boarding by an experienced skydiver.

Go figure.

When i let go of the the hackey it blew up into the base of the pilot chute (the base being the only place on the pilot chute that has a hole large enought for the hackey to go through) It went in between two of the webbings. It looked like a colapsable pilot chute that is colapsed. Understand???? If not let me know.
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Hi

After some discussion in the Incidents Forum on a recent fatality it got me to thinking, what all can cause a pc in tow, and can't this easily be prevented?

I've seen a PC in tow casued by a worn pin -to-bridle attachment point. The pin separated from the bridle & remained throgh the closing loop.

Could have been prevented by proper inspection & maintainance