happythoughts

a little too serious

1- the parking nazi

I am going back to work tonight, a little after 8pm. I pull into a 3 story parking garage. There are 4 other cars. The security guard comes to the door to watch.
"What's up?"
"Nothing. We are supposed to keep an eye on things. "Employees have been parking in the visitors spots."

Visitors? At 8pm ? :S

Security guards making the world safe from...umm...something.

2- that essential 10 ft.

Driving around today. In the middle lane, doing 70, 40 ft off the next guys bumper, nobody behind me. The guy in the next lane pulls up and whips in front of me to get an extra 10 ft ahead.

So, at 70mph, he is going to cover 10 ft in how many milliseconds? I wanted to yell, "Hey buddy, just leave and extra 1.3 milliseconds earlier and you won't feel rushed." :D

I changed lanes and pulled up 4 cars ahead of him, then pulled back in and slowed down. :ph34r: Why, yes, I am a butthead, thanks. :D

Whenever I get tailgated or "pushed" I slow to the legal limit.

Only once did I have to slam on my brakes to avoid a deer that apparently I was the only one to see in the roadway ahead of me. The guy who was behind me (apparently tailgating me, I didn't notice) didn't see the deer either because he was busy fishtailing on the nice wide shoulder of the highway there.

Shame, that.

reply to 2

Don't you know that it is a race everywhere you go. Whatever cars you can pass makes you one more car closer to winning.
The ones I love are the ones that fly by you on the way to a red light. Hey dumbass why are you in a hurry to stop. Then as I roll up and the light is changing to green I roll right past them never having to have braked.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Whenever I get tailgated or "pushed" I slow to the legal limit.

Only once did I have to slam on my brakes to avoid a deer that apparently I was the only one to see in the roadway ahead of me. The guy who was behind me (apparently tailgating me, I didn't notice) didn't see the deer either because he was busy fishtailing on the nice wide shoulder of the highway there.

Shame, that.

Same thing happened to me on the way to work one morning. I was leaving a 50ft buffer between me and the car I was trailing, while about 3 people tailed me bumper to bumper. I spotted an empty 5-gallon bucket rolling across the highway and my buffer zone allowed me to see it and avoid it. The people behind me did neither. :D The sad thing is they don't learn... after annihilating the bucket and their tires (in a failed attempt to miss the bucket), they were right back on my ass 30 seconds later.

Here in Orlando tailing you is the least of what they do. I've had people honk, flash brights, and even PASS ME ON THE SHOULDER because I was leaving a short gap in front of me, while travelling as fast as the traffic would allow.

The most bitter irony of all is that these people are ostensibly trying to drive "efficiently" (so they think), but their manner of driving actually has the opposite of the desired effect, contributes to congestion because it doesn't allow the traffic density to equalize smoothly, during rush hour. I've done a lot of analytical thought about what causes traffic to back up at rush hour and a big part of it is people who refuse to leave safe gaps. The gaps allow people at on-ramps to merge, and if they can't merge they slow down to 10mph and THEN merge anyway, which propagates back and eventually creates a huge jam.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Hahah, my brother has gotten rear ended a couple of times by slamming on his brakes and making tail gaters rear end him. Everytime it was somebody he knew cuz it was always near our highschool. He didn't mind though cuz he had a '87 rusty ass Chevy Blazer. One dude smashed the front of his brand new car and got $3,000 in damages and it put a little dent on my brother's rusty ass bumper. w00t.

Best freeways I ever drove on were in Italy. I hear Germany is similar.

Stay off of the median lane unless you are passing. Somebody flashes their lights at you, move the fuck over. They may be going 10 mph faster than you or 100.

Oregon has that "passing only" law too.

Don't you know that it is a race everywhere you go. Whatever cars you can pass makes you one more car closer to winning.

True I have seen those bumper stickers that state I'm not tailgaiting I'm drafting. :D I thought it was pretty funny. Thing I hate more than being tailgated in a car is when I'm on a bike. Then a little fender bender turns into me being dead. >:( I've lost it on people a few times when this happens. ROAD RAGE. But hey if I can get it through their thick ass stupid skulls that next time they tail a biker they may get their wrath they may think twice about doing it.... :)

***Glory Favors the Bold***

MIT used to (and may still) have some cool modelling software that would allow you to build those sorts of scenarios. And from what i remember its what you said - kinda.

Around Minneapolis, they use lights on the entrance ramps to the highway going around the city. Apparently, they are using some kind of computer model to determine the best flow.

Anytime I see a bike on the highway, I keep a close eye on them and folks around them, just because people drive like shit here.

If it's necessary, I'll even drive interference to keep people off their biker butts, just so I don't have to witness a brain-slick happen (no helmet laws here!)

Most of the time the bikes are passing me and my lead foot though, in which case it's via con dios, dude. B|

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

Anytime I see a bike on the highway, I keep a close eye on them and folks around them, just because people drive like shit here.

If it's necessary, I'll even drive interference to keep people off their biker butts, just so I don't have to witness a brain-slick happen (no helmet laws here!)

Most of the time the bikes are passing me and my lead foot though, in which case it's via con dios, dude. B|

You ROCK! here have a :D on me! and your right people do drive like shit here. and ya those guys doin 120 on their crotch rockets. well what can you do! I'll haul ass but only if I have alot of open road and no traffic. :)

Here in Orlando tailing you is the least of what they do. I've had people honk, flash brights, and even PASS ME ON THE SHOULDER because I was leaving a short gap in front of me, while travelling as fast as the traffic would allow.

I had a guy try to pass me on the left shoulder once while I was doing 85-ish in the fast lane in moderately heavy traffic. After noticing that the guy behind me was driving erratically, I saw him move onto the left shoulder, saw an abandoned car not far ahead on the same shoulder, and floored it to ensure that any accident would take place behind me rather than in front of me. The guy had plenty of room to get back in behind me but didn't attempt to do so until the merge was beyond his ability. He lost control getting back into the lane and caused a massive pile-up that I watched in my rear-view mirror...I'd guess at least a dozen cars were involved. [:/]

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Good stuff.

One day in bumper to bumper ATL traffic I was leaving a small gap in front of me so that I didn't have to keep pushing the damn clutch in and out a billion times. Well I notice mr impatient behind me wanting to speed up so that inevitably we could stop. I just kept up my own little pace. Then I slipped and left a little larger space than I wanted. Slick behind me whips around the left side of me into the left shoulder and proceeds to try and get around me. I didn't speed up, the traffic in front stopped. He tried to get back in, but I had already taken up my spot behind the car in front of me. He had like one wheel back in the lane. I proceeded to lay on my horn until we started moving again. Thing is I have an air horn installed in my car and that thing is loud as shit. I looked around and people in all the lanes were looking over at his dumb ass. I gave him the finger and left it at that after we started to move.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Thing I hate more than being tailgated in a car is when I'm on a bike. Then a little fender bender turns into me being dead. >:(

Oh man I don't think I have known a more nerve-racking or infuriating position then atop my bike, whith another's car-bumper kissing my ass.

Loud pipes save lives

Yup, and airborn spark-plugs explosively obliterate windshields. :)

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

The only time I felt forced to use the inside shoulder to pass someone was when I was in the left lane going through a major interchange with another interstate. The merge lane is on the right side, and the interstate I'm on is 3 lanes each way. There was a long line of vehicles merging on from the other highway, and some fucking idiot swerves all the way across three fucking lanes right in front of me! >:( Luckily the shoulder was wide so I swerved around the fucker and rolled the window down to give him the finger... asshole...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I changed lanes and pulled up 4 cars ahead of him, then pulled back in and slowed down.

Yeah Bill but you do not have the ideal car for doing that. I would run your ass over in my truck.:D

I do the same thing but I have a full size truck. :P :D

Of course many people call me many things and it is amusing. :D

Laters,

K-MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!B|

The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!

"HESITATION CAUSES DEATH!!!"
"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES

Thing I hate more than being tailgated in a car is when I'm on a bike. Then a little fender bender turns into me being dead. >:(

Oh man I don't think I have known a more nerve-racking or infuriating position then atop my bike, whith another's car-bumper kissing my ass.

Loud pipes save lives

Yup, and airborn spark-plugs explosively obliterate windshields. :)

:o:D:D:D Don't know why I didn't think of that,:ph34r: One day when I was more than a little irritated with fuck head drivers I took home a bunch of little steel bearings nothing to due to much damaged maybe a chip or two but sure would scare this shit any asshole that got to close. :);)