scp

What are these rigger ratings? back, chest, seat, lap? first time I hear about it

modern rigs are all back

but earlier rigs had reserves on the front, lap etc..
Pilot rigs are different again,

they are just different types of rig set up, requiring, different methods of packing and maintenance
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

They are different types of h/c systems. The names come (loosely) from where you will find the actual parachute in a container.

The typical piggy-back systems sport jumpers use, with the reserve and main both on your back are "back" systems. Also, the common single parachute bail-out systems our jump pilots wear are "back" systems.

When you look at some old skydiving pictures where there is a bundle on the front of the skydiver, that's a chest system. Unlike our piggyback systems where both containers are integrated with the harness, chest containers are (usually?) detachable from the harness. They were attached to the harness with hardware similar to the top attachments you see on a tandem student harness.

The seat type is often used in "warbird" aircraft. The container/parachute is the seat cushion for the person wearing the h/c system.

The lap system doesn't really exist anymore. It was used in a situation where there was no other place to carry a parachute. The parachute container was held on the lap of the user. I don't know the manner of attachment of this container to the harness.

Im pretty sure the lap parachute was just a QAC, Quick attach chest, that had longer risers to let it be attached in the lap area. I believe the reason was for a rear gunner in one of those smaller planes like a dauntless (I forget which type), because with the parachute on the airmans chest, it would get in the way of the gun while swinging it around. I assume for whatever reason they didnt have enough room for a seat parachute.

I have a factory hard back book for packing one brand of lap as well as other photos and data. The lab was not a Quick Attachement Chest with longer risers. It had risers that were part of the harness. It best described by thinking of a seat pack with the container loose from the harness and flipped forward over the head. This would put the PC down toward your legs. Reverse the container on the risers and you have a lap. So it had solid risers part of the harness that were almost as long as a seat pack. The container was rectangular and sat on your lap. I haven't gotten around to scanning the best photo I have of one in the book.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Terry,

Is it possible to search the FAAs website to see if there have been any airman's certificates issued anytime recently (or when the last one was issued) giving a "Lap" rating to some rigger out there? Same question, different words, do you think there is a rigger out there anywhere that holds a Lap rating?

Is it possible to search the FAAs website to see if there have been any airman's certificates issued anytime recently (or when the last one was issued) giving a "Lap" rating to some rigger out there? Same question, different words, do you think there is a rigger out there anywhere that holds a Lap rating?

There is a rigger in Maryland with all four type ratings whose certificate is listed in the FAA database as being issued on 5/19/2003.

In the entire database, there are 25 Senior lap rating holders and 3 Master lap rating holders.

In the pictures I saw of one lap pack, the pack appeared to be shaped like an oval, though it wasnt a very good picture, I dont recall. There were so many different types--back, seat, quick attach chests, lap, I think there even was a quick attach seat.

I would assume that there are essentially no lap rigs left, except maybe one somewhere in the attic of a 90 year old widows house.

If you have a way to search for ratings I'd like to know about it. I've never found one. I was told there was a lap rating in FL but it turned out to not be true. I'd like to find out if someone living really has it.

One thing to remember is that many riggers in the database are dead. Last I knew there wasn't a mechanism to purge deceased riggers from the data base. For instance Danny Page is still there, as well as another rigger killed in 2005.

Also realize the issuance date is the date of the last change. Adding a rating or master gets you a new date of issuance.

While I'm occasionally searching for a lap parachute it would be easy to make one based on a current seat container.

I'm still on a mission.;)

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

If you have a way to search for ratings I'd like to know about it.

I downloaded the entire Airmen Certification Database from the FAA:

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/releasable_airmen_download/

I am refraining from posting names on a public forum out of respect for privacy, but is trivial to search for ratings if you know what to do with the files. Feel free to PM me if you need assistance.

One thing to remember is that many riggers in the database are dead. Last I knew there wasn't a mechanism to purge deceased riggers from the data base. For instance Danny Page is still there, as well as another rigger killed in 2005.

There is definitely a discrepancy between the searchable online database and the "complete" downloadable database. Danny Page is not in the latter (which contains just under 6500 riggers total, FWIW).

How do you search the FAA database for other than the airman's name? I'd like to find out when a certain seal symbol was issued.

To save you a 61 MB download, the downloadable database I mentioned above does not contain seal symbols and will not be of assistance in this particular task.

While I respect your not wanting to post names here, they obviously aren't private.;)

I hadn't found this database before. I should be able to parse it but it's been a while since I have. I'm surprised this other search engine on the website that requires a name is less up to date than this database.

I'll PM if I need help making it usable.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

While I respect your not wanting to post names here, they obviously aren't private.;)

Yeah, but I don't want anyone hating me for it. Everyone already hates the FAA.

I hadn't found this database before. I should be able to parse it but it's been a while since I have. I'm surprised this other search engine on the website that requires a name is less up to date than this database.

I don't think it's that the online one is less up to date. I think the downloadable one has been purged of inactive airmen. I found my grandfather in the online one, and he died over 20 years ago.