BillyVance

My biggest peeve

At least I'm not as mad as Micro was about his house situation (which sucks for him), but I was really pissed after trying to call a vacuum cleaner repair business that I located online through a search engine. Mind you, I'm deaf and I have to use a relay service, which employs relay operators who translate voice to teletype and teletype to voice between deaf and hearing people.

Well, I call this business and a lady answers nicely enough. I state that I'm looking to get my vacuum repaired. She hangs up without a word. WTF? Maybe she accidentally hit the wrong button? I call again. She won't talk and hangs up... I'm getting annoyed. I try again, but the line is busy. Call again, busy. Rage is building up inside... I take a break from the computer (which I make my calls through) and go get the phone book to look up other businesses...

Found one, and calls them. Man answers and is nice and gracious, gives me directions to his business and I thank him. There are still nice people in the world. Then I see the first phone number written on paper... that bitch...

Now, I have a vice... I don't take shit from people without dishing it back. Fuck it, I'm calling this bitch back, but I instruct the relay operator not to announce to the receiving party that it's the relay service calling for a deaf person. Sure enough, the bitch answers nicely as she did the very first time. I type in all caps "YOU BITCH!!!!" and hang up.

Yeah, that felt good. I hope I ruined the rest of that bitch's day. :|

It's not the first time this has happened, and it probably won't be the last... Ignorance of the disabled just pisses me off, especially with phone calls like that. >:( It's my biggest peeve.... :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I have to say............that WAS pretty damn rude of her. [:/] Some people's kids. The only thing that ever bugged me about you is that you read lips so well I have forgotten you were deaf before. :D You were turned around messing with the TV at SD Atl one day and I am yelling "Billy........BILLY!!!!" then I realized that I am stupid and you are deaf. :D:D:D

I have to say............that WAS pretty damn rude of her. [:/] Some people's kids. The only thing that ever bugged me about you is that you read lips so well I have forgotten you were deaf before. :D You were turned around messing with the TV at SD Atl one day and I am yelling "Billy........BILLY!!!!" then I realized that I am stupid and you are deaf. :D:D:D

:D:D:D That happens to me all the time! Friends are okay... I laugh and let it go. Strangers, well it depends on how they react when I tell them I'm deaf.

Another big peeve I have is when someone tries to tell me something and I don't understand, then they say "never mind". That pisses me off sometimes. Friends wouldn't do that to me.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I'm deaf too.. and I have people hang up when I make relay calls too. sometimes if I'm buying car parts and they do that I get my brother and we "order" bunch Items and tel them we'll be in in 15 minutes have it ready! course we never show up..

if they hang up on me they don't get my business...

I'm deaf too.. and I have people hang up when I make relay calls too. sometimes if I'm buying car parts and they do that I get my brother and we "order" bunch Items and tel them we'll be in in 15 minutes have it ready! course we never show up..

:D:D:D I like that. :ph34r:

if they hang up on me they don't get my business...

Ditto...

My question is did the relay operator (dunno the term for whomever relay's your typed messages) actually call her a bitch? That must be fun for them ;)

I remember an interview on NPR with a relay operator and they were saying that the strangest conversations they have are phone sex ones. Must be strange to be talking dirty to someone even though you don't know them. I guess it's no different than working for 1-900-sexfiend.

Is there a specific reason why someone would hang up on a relay call? Is it the lag involved when going through a relay operator?

Mr.Grinch

Another big peeve I have is when someone tries to tell me something and I don't understand, then they say "never mind". That pisses me off sometimes. Friends wouldn't do that to me.

Ok, this is may be a really stupid question, but I'm really curious, and not just being an asshole (for once).

In a case like that, would it actually help to speak slower? Obviously speaking louder would be idiotic, but if a person moves their lips slower when they talk, is it easier to understand?

just curious, but as I am un-familiar with speaking with someone from a relay service I have no clue what it is like.

when you make a phone call there is an actual operator who explains that this is a call from a hearing impared person and then reads your text or something like that?

I've never experienced a phone call from someone who is deaf... the reason this popped into my head is because the worst phone call that I can recieve is an automated call, and it doesn't matter if it's a telemarketer or walgreens telling me that a prescription is ready.

Billy,

Would you send me the bitch's number?

I'd like to find out what her issue is.

rl

this is why i asked my question, if she is blantently just being intolerant of deaf people, that's just ridiculous...

but like I said, I have no idea what the 'protocol' is answering a phone from a relay service. Is it possible that she thought the call was a prank call or telemarketer, I would have no clue...

this is why i asked my question, if she is blantently just being intolerant of deaf people, that's just ridiculous...

but like I said, I have no idea what the 'protocol' is answering a phone from a relay service. Is it possible that she thought the call was a prank call or telemarketer, I would have no clue...

I was wondering about that, among other things.

That's why I want to talk to her.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

they probably thought it was a telemarketing scam. They have radio spots here to inform people about the service and how to use it both ways (both calling and receiving calls)

on the commercial, the operator identifies themself indicating that they are a relay operator (and gives badge #), and ask if the person has ever received a relay call before. The person then says "NOT interested." and hangs up, telling another person with them that it was just some telemarketing call.
Two wrongs don't make a right, however three lefts DO!

Well, I know Im going to pay attention a little better to those I think are tele-marketers. Usually I just block it out and come up with some lame line, or I just hang up... I now see that isnt the smartest reaction to have.

A man will do anything for the right woman,
and when that woman destroys him,
that man will become a hunk of meat with the common sense of a rodeo clown! ~ Christopher Titus

when you make a phone call there is an actual operator who explains that this is a call from a hearing impared person and then reads your text or something like that?

When a deaf person makes a phone call, they are using what is called a TTY. It's a keyboard that is hooked up to a phone. When the deaf person types on the keyboard, it sends little beeping sounds to an operator at the relay. What comes across the receiving end of the relay operator, is words that the deaf person has typed out. The relay operator then communicates to the hearing person that the deaf person is contacting.

A Relay Operator has been trained to introduce themselves as a voice for the deaf client, and always ask if the hearing person receiving the phone call has ever worked a relay call. If the hearing person doesn't know how to work the relay call, the operator then explains how the process works, including how to end the conversation that goes back and forth between the deaf and hearing persons. Phrases like "Go Head" and "Hanging up" are just a few examples as to how the hearing person is educated in how to work the relay call.

See Billy, even though I'm not an interpreter any more, I can still help you out;)

http://www.captions.com/tty.html

http://www.adcohearing.com/tty_what_tty.html

http://ftp.fcc.gov/cgb/dro/trs/what_is_a_tty.html
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

interesting... i never knew that thanks for the explanation!

that being the case it seems to me that the bitch was really just being a bitch!

you can give me her number too, that really pisses me off!

Unfortunately, I threw the number away... :| but thanks for the interest. And yes to other questions - relay operators are real people, and they are supposed to repeat verbatim what a deaf person types when talking to the hearing person. Although the relay operators' usual protocol is to announce they are relay assisting a deaf caller, I have the right to tell the operator NOT to announce themselves, because too many times people just don't want to bother or they think it's a prank call, I dunno... My beef with the bitch is I tried a few times and just basically got stone-walled.

Those of you who have never experienced a relay call, PM me your number and I will gladly oblige. I don't care where you are, as long as you're in the continental U.S. I can call relay long distance FREE of charge. B|

Hey Billy call me we could do a gay conversation via the operator..Lets see how far we can go before he hangs up:D:D:D:D
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

Ive had a few of them through my old work, used to work for a call centre for a bank. Needless to say not everyone was happy with their banks service and used to whinge.

I think these calls were realyed through BT and called 'type talk' or something similar. Generally they were all very good but can take a long time. Which when your working to targets can get frustrating.

I can recall one occasion where I was basically having an argument with a guy about charges he had incurred (as a result of his own fault) and I refused to refund them because hes done it before and been refunded.

I heard a long silence followed by the operator saying .... 'Im sorry, I think they've hung up'. It kind of lost its effect hanging up via a third party.

Im not sure Id be so happy relaying all my personal details via a third party, ie bank details, security questions etc but then not much other choice I suppose other than get a family member to do it for you.

Oh yeah, for those that havent had a call, in the UK when the operator has finished relaying the message they say "go ahead" which is kinda confusing at first :D Its a good system though.

We also had a text phone in the corner gathering dust and it rang once. It was like the bat phone going off. Noone knew what to do and noone was trained. I think a manager answered it in the end, but we didnt knoww hat security procedure you could do over a text phone. :S

Ive had a few of them through my old work, used to work for a call centre for a bank. Needless to say not everyone was happy with their banks service and used to whinge.

I think these calls were realyed through BT and called 'type talk' or something similar. Generally they were all evry good but can take a long time. Which when your working to targets can get frustrating.

I can recall one occasion where I was basically having an argument with a guy about charges he had incurred (as a result of his own fault) and I refused to refund them because hes done it before and been refunded.

I heard a long silence followed by the operator saying .... 'Im sorry, I think they've hung up'. It kind of lost its effect hanging up via a third party.

Im not sure Id be so happy relaying all my personal details via a third party, ie bank details, security questions etc but then not much other choice I suppose other than get a family member to do it for you.

I understand what you mean. However, relay operators are held under strict orders to keep confidential any conversation they relay, no matter how sensitive. I may be crazy, but I trust them enough with my credit card numbers when I call via relay to order something. I've never had a problem show up later from that, however, I don't do that often.

Relay operators are kept busy at breakneck speeds. As soon as one call's done, there's another to answer with 2 or 3 more on hold... I don't think they are going to have time to copy anything important for themselves.

One of my co-workers used to be a relay operator too. She said she has been through some very embarrassing calls of a sexual nature, and she has also experienced calls between angry people spewing venom and cursing each other out. Operators have to repeat verbatim and they do have to project the nature of the language that the deaf person is typing. If they're mad, the operator talks in a mad voice. It's really something... :D

And Shrek, thanks but no thanks... :D:D:D

I believe the relay operator has the same Code of Conduct to follow when I was an Interpreter for the Deaf. Heck, the things I could share with you about some of the deaf clients I had:ph34r:
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

That sucks! People can be such rude bastards :P

My neighbors growing up were/are deaf (their children weren't), I used to feel bad because people in the neighborhood wouldn't even try to communicate with them. It's truly sad when people let their fear rule their actions. Oh, and the kids took advantage of the situation and lied like crazy when they would get into trouble. :S

I was always very intrigued... had them teach me how to sign (basic), explain to me how they enjoyed music, how they knew when the kids were ill, etc. etc. The technology involved in communication is amazing. I never had the opportunity to use the relay with them, but it's very cool! B|

Take care, g

Raddest ho this side of Jersey #1 - rest in peace brother
Beth lost her cherry and I missed it
.... you want access to it, but you don't want to break it.

Hey Billy call me we could do a gay conversation via the operator..Lets see how far we can go before he hangs up:D:D:D:D

On second thought Shrek, this got me thinking. What if we actually did that? If I call you via relay on my computer, I have the capability to save the transcript to a file. Then I could post the transcript on here.

Wouldn't it be the funniest post in a looooong time? Knowing we both have some of the most twisted humor, I'm sure we could put Saturday Night Live to shame. :D:D:D:D:D:D

So, whaddaya say? :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: