DocCasey

A Little Help

Can someone please comment on this video regarding the "correct" route to land at Lodi? It looks suspiciously like a radical hook turn initiated at about 50 feet.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2009/01/28/beckford.skydiving.crash.kovr

Watching the video of what actually happened, she makes a rather low turn to avoid the highway and hits the pole.

The reporter talks about the correct route being in the opposite direction and shows the attached graphic, which looks rather simplistic.

My guess is that this is like all other news reports about skydiving accidents - not completely accurate.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Thank goodness. I thought you required to initiate hook turns at 50' at Lodi....... and well.... that might be a problem with someone with 10 jumps...not me of course but someone with 10 jumps well....sure

:o)

so you feel you can do a 360 hook turn initiated at 50' without incident?

I beg to differ. Check the route picture again... it's not a "360 hook turn initiated at 50'", it's a LOOP. :P

I think its an inside "loop" because the CNN graphic does not show the twist required for ending the "outside" loop, and you have to start an "outside" loop upside down.

I have attached pics of both "inside" and "outside" loops for comparison.

"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

I picked up on that too, and thought it looked a little aggressive for a student landing.

However, if watch the video, the student does indeed hook it, and speeds up considerably before hitting the pole. Ouch.

Now I'm not a doctor, but medically I have to adivse against speeding up before hitting a pole.

Carefully re-read my response to the poster above
who says " thought you required to initiate hook turns at 50' at Lodi... and then says it wouldn't be a "problem for me, of course."

Does anyone believe they can pull off a 360 initiated at 50'?

I understood the CNN graphic for what it was.

Does anyone believe they can pull off a 360 initiated at 50'?

I've seen it attempted, but the jumper only made it halfway round before impact... [:/]
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Reading the whole post:

Thank goodness. I thought you required to initiate hook turns at 50' at Lodi....... and well.... that might be a problem with someone with 10 jumps...not me of course but someone with 10 jumps well....sure

I believe he was using humor... If I was wrong... Sorry.

I didn't believe that someone with a C licence and over 500 jumps really believed "required to initiate hook turns at 50' at Lodi"

Can someone please comment on this video regarding the "correct" route to land at Lodi? It looks suspiciously like a radical hook turn initiated at about 50 feet.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2009/01/28/beckford.skydiving.crash.kovr

Thay link took me to a stimulating piece on a steelworks in Wales.
2 wrongs don't make a right - but 3 lefts do.

Reading the whole post:

I believe he was using humor... If I was wrong... Sorry.

I didn't believe that someone with a C licence and over 500 jumps really believed "required to initiate hook turns at 50' at Lodi"

as i always say, sarcasm is a sport :ph34r:

Now I'm not a doctor, but medically I have to adivse against speeding up before hitting a pole

Im not so sure about that!! MY girl ALWAYS speeds up when hitting the pole!! :P

yeah, but thats porbably because your pole is significantly smaller, tiny maybe even :D

as i always say, sarcasm is a sport :ph34r:

...and, as usual, some just don't get it when it's played.
:D:D

Kinda takes the fun out of it when you have to explain it to them...don't bother trying.
:D:D;)

As for the video...Low turn? yes. Hook turn? far from it.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Now I'm not a doctor, but medically I have to adivse against speeding up before hitting a pole

Im not so sure about that!! MY girl ALWAYS speeds up when hitting the pole!! :P

yeah, but thats porbably because your pole is significantly smaller, tiny maybe even :D

Hey, easy now I resemble that remarkB|!!
I may not be able to reach the end of a can of tuna . . .But I can WORK THE HELL OUTTA THE SIDES!!!:P:D
If your gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

Your mom goes HandHeld

I may not be able to reach the end of a can of tuna . . .But I can WORK THE HELL OUTTA THE SIDES!!!:P:D

Comon now! That would be like throwing a hotdog down a hallway!;)
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Comon now! That would be like throwing a hotdog down a hallway!;)

And hitting every wall simultaneously!!:D
If your gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

Your mom goes HandHeld