jdfreefly

Never ask an old paratrooper how many jumps he has

Thank you kallend. You just restored my ebbing respect for Americans.

We'll have to work on that. Can't have any ferners respectin us now can we.;)

We had that in the US military too. It's called a belly mounted MIRPS reserve......

LOL, a guy I worked with wore bandages on both hands for a month after a tree landing. He got tired of waiting for the ladder and slid down the reserve........very fast. It was NASTY! He never forgot his leather gloves again after that jump.:ph34r:

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." Ben Franklin

Kallend's a Brit.

Edit: Actually, I know he went to school in Britain, so I assumed he was a Brit. I'm probably wrong as usual.

His profile says Chicago. I went with that.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

Guest 1010
My Dad taught high school math at Antioch (AHS) 1961-78, chaired the dept several years too ...

my grade school buds and I climbed over fences to get into football games, except Pittsburg of course Dad kept us home (and safe) for that one [racial troubles in those days].

The first thing my dad said last year when I told him I was skydiving was that a guy (probably a student or former student) had drowned in the Contra Costa Resoirvor, tangled in the lines was what he recalled. Anyone have a name and circumstances of that incident? I think it was in the mid-70s but don't recall why I think that. Sorry for bringing up a bad memory, but I think about that guy once in a while.

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

[email]

My Dad taught high school math at Antioch (AHS) 1961-78, chaired the dept several years too ...

my grade school buds and I climbed over fences to get into football games, except Pittsburg of course Dad kept us home (and safe) for that one [racial troubles in those days].

The first thing my dad said last year when I told him I was skydiving was that a guy (probably a student or former student) had drowned in the Contra Costa Resoirvor, tangled in the lines was what he recalled. Anyone have a name and circumstances of that incident? I think it was in the mid-70s but don't recall why I think that. Sorry for bringing up a bad memory, but I think about that guy once in a while.

Hey,
was your Dad Ron Coward? pilot and teacher???
My dad ( Neil Baker) was in first 8-stack in Livermore and a Diablo Skydiver (Antioch) Mr. Coward taught me Geometry, and told me I hung out with the "wrong people" when I cut class! I knew him since I was five years old. I used to pack the parachutes, or more correctly, wrap the rubberbands!!!,( yes rubberbands held the lines) for a quarter.
I remember the guy in the reservoir and Jeanni McCombs tried to swim to save him, but I do not remember who he was. I believe he was a student.

Posted by Toni Baker

I was visiting Skydive Dallas a few years back and an older gentleman was making a tandem. He was wearing his class A khakis. An television crew was there interviewing him. The conversation went something like this ...

Television crew asked, "You've jumped before, though, right?"

He replied, "Yes."

"When? they queried.

"June 6, 1944" was his reply.

My jaw dropped. What a cool dude!

steveOrino

the following is a true story

in 1968 there was a SF detachment in northern south viet-man.There was a navy diver team stationed at the quan tri bridge.
these jerks wanted to make some FUN jumps to continue to get there jump pay?
anyway they were asking around trying to get enough folks to make a load.like a dumb ass I said yea me too.
we met at the dong ha air base and drew rigs and got pre flight inspected.
as this was a FUN jump only basic load of equipment was carried. basic load is rifle (for me 8 loaded mags. 4 frag grenades,2 smoke 2 canteens ..no rucks.

we loaded and flew out to the south china sea (no flotation devices) and turned inland flew right up the beach called WONDER BEACH
this was an in country r.r. center.
there was concentena barbew wire on the left (inland side) and mines
and to the left was the south china sea.
we jumper from 800 feet I think as that is what was said ,it did seam low and landed great ,best landing I eved did as it was in sand, while picking up canopy found 2 small holes in it but never heard and gunfire.

next jump 30+ years later AFF level 1

59 YEARS,OVERWEIGHT,BALDIND,X-GRUNT
LAST MIL. JUMP VIET-NAM(QUAN-TRI)
www.dzmemories.com

Going to the reunions and the various ceremonies at the SOF/ABN museum has been very enlightening.

There is a great deal of mutual respect shared by those serving and those "still" serving. They may not be on "active" duty but the Veterans teach me some thing new every time I see one, so hats off to all young and old!

Have a very happy, extremely well earned Veterans Day!
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

remeber guys vetrans day is monday!!!!

The bigger question is....What is Canada remembering?

Actually, last Year was the "Year of the Veteran" up here. The vets are getting paid their dues and recognition.

Don't get me started on the present sorry, abysmal state of our military though.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

November 11 used to be called Armistice Day in Canada because the First World War ended 11 November 1918.
Now we call it Remembrance Day for all the Canadians who died during: the Boer War, both World Wars, the Korean War, Afghanistan and more peace-keeping missions than anyone can count.
November 11, 2005, hundreds of villagers gathered around the Pitt Meadows Cenotaph (War Memorial) in a cold, driving rain to remember local boys who had fallen.

Reminds me of a Commisionaire who used to guard the gate at CFB Shearwater. His face was badly scarred from machine gun bullets that he collected after jumping across the Rhine in February 1945, but he still shaved every morning. He used to tease me about my beard: "You young guys are silly to hide your beauty."