BillyVance

Microwave oven went kaput

Well, it just happened. I reheated some leftovers for my wife and I, then my wife asked me to heat her plate-ful a little more, so I go back to the oven, and the display screen is blank. Uhh? I open the door, the light doesn't come on... I unplug the oven. Plug it back in. Nothing. Go check the circuit breakers. Nothing wrong. Well goddamnit... Only had this Kenmore oven for 7 years. >:(

Any idea what went wrong with it? What would I expect to pay in repairs? Or would buying a new one be better? :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

6 jump tickets. Consumer reports #1 rated counter top model. http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=APPL&pid=02063252000&subcat=Countertop+Microwaves

Kenmore (Sears) 6325[2]

Can't go wrong. Why spend $50 to fix the old one when you can have new for $110.

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

Hey Billy,
Sounds similar to what happened with mine. Turned out to be a blown fuse in the micro. Cost $15 to repair and it's working fine again. Your cost may be different, but it could be worth looking into.
Stacey

Hmmm... I'll open it up in the morning and take a look see... Where would I find replacement fuses, if that is the case?

Thanks!
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

HEHEHEHEHEHE

I had some fun with capacitors in the past. Nothing like a little ZAP!!! between friends. ;)

The tiny ones are fun, but I've accidentally discharged a decent sized one in my arm. It hurt like hell, burned me a little bit, and made my arm go kinda numb for a little while.

B|

I opened up the oven, and took a look around. Found one cylindrical fuse with one end appearing to be burned with black material. I'm guessing that's the problem. I will have to take it to the store to find out what fuse it is since there's no markings at all on it, which has a white body with metal caps on the ends. I hope I find something in the small town I live close to.

I'm in luck! A couple of calls found one appliance repair business that has spare fuses on hand. A quick 10 minute drive away and only a few bucks spent. B|

Well let's hope that is what the cure is...

Exercise caution here. A blown fuse is usually an indication of something else failing. They are typically in circuit to protect the system from excessive current draws so you may have another problem [:/]
Also be aware that the magnetron that generates the microwave energy can give you an unhealthy belt or may emit the microwave radiation if you try running the unit with the covers off. A colleague once felt his car keys getting hot in his pocket when working on an industrial version. His kids are doing okay.

Foggy

Exercise caution here. A blown fuse is usually an indication of something else failing. They are typically in circuit to protect the system from excessive current draws so you may have another problem [:/]
Also be aware that the magnetron that generates the microwave energy can give you an unhealthy belt or may emit the microwave radiation if you try running the unit with the covers off.

Good advice...

Basically, go ahead and replace the fuse, put it all back together, and fire it up. If it appears to be working fine, it probably is. If the new fuse blows, I'd scrap the whole thing and get a new one.

There is no way I would run the damn thing with the cover off or even plugged in. But great news!

I got the replacement fuse for $5.00. Cleaned out the burned residue in the fuse receptacle and inserted it. Then closed it back up, plugged it in, set the clock, and ran a test nuke. It works!!!

Team America, Fuck, yeah! Coming to save the motherfucking day! Fuck yeah! B|B|B|

Of course, if this fuse blows too, then we'll have to think about a new microwave. We'll see how this one goes. :)

HEHEHEHEHEHE

I had some fun with capacitors in the past. Nothing like a little ZAP!!! between friends. ;)

The tiny ones are fun, but I've accidentally discharged a decent sized one in my arm. It hurt like hell, burned me a little bit, and made my arm go kinda numb for a little while.

B|

"Bewareth the lightning that lurketh in an undischarged capacitor, lest it causeth thee to bounce upon thy buttocks in an unseemly manner, and causeth thy hair to stand on end, thus exceeding regulation length." :D

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Well, gosh, I bet that means you are going to starve now. :S

BN

Au contriare. I remember the days before I had a microwave. I'm not as young as people think. :P