BoostedXT

Non-DZ jumping..

OK..I know this has been discussed before. However...one of my clients not only has a new Leir Jet but he also has a 206 for screwing around....yeah he flies them both.

Anyways..my GF's family lives on a farm with about 500+ acres of corn surrounding their house. Its probably more than that but lets just say it goes for about 1/2 mile in each direction from their home.

I want to jump in the we early morning from the 206 and land in the corn field...lol

Anyone say dont do it?
Joe
For long as you live and high you fly and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry and all that you touch and all that you see is all your life will ever be.
Pedro Offers you his Protection.

Thereis no corn anymore...its mown all flat so its a big field of dirt. WhenI say big I mean HUGE..:)
I was going to remove the door from the plane or see if there was a way to lock it in the up position.

Joe
For long as you live and high you fly and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry and all that you touch and all that you see is all your life will ever be.

I was going to remove the door from the plane or see if there was a way to lock it in the up position

if it goes up instead of swings out it sounds like it might already have a jump door on it......... if it swings out and you try and jump with it on it can be hard and also dangerous...... and if you remove it you might need to have it aproved (to be legal) to fly with it off.... but i'm not a pilot or the faa so don't quote me on the last part...

I just think it would be sweet....:)
I can ask him what type of door it has on it. How do I go about noting that Jumping activity will be happening?

joe

Remember: to be legal, all occupants must wear a parachute if the door opens during flight...you need a rig for your pilot. That is in the regs for certain. Don't ask me to look it up, I'm late for class already! :P
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I imagine the bigger consern from a FAA standpoint would be the licensing of you're pilot friend. i.e. as I understand it the FAA requires that the pilot be commercially rated to drop jumpers and if he just has a private license it might be a problem...

I don't remember what FAR references this... but there's been a lot of dicussion on this topic here. You might try doing a search.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

he is a very experienced pilot....

There are two willing pilots.

One flies his own Jet, the Leir and his 206.

The other flies his 206

joe

he is a very experienced pilot....

There are two willing pilots.

One flies his own Jet, the Lear and his 206.

The other flies his 206

joe

there, fixed it for you. sorry to be all anal on ya.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

I see from your profile
that you have been skydiving for ONE year
and have 19 thousand something jumps..:S:S
you don't know if the door of this plane swings Up or Out..
you wanna make a bandit jump intentionally into some cornfield...
and pry never even heard of a notam....:o

So Sure ! have at it !!....
Statistically speaking somebody else has to pull all the bonehead moves,, in order for the rest of us to be safe...:|
Has this pilot ever flown with an open door? or put out jumpers???. Does he understand, spotting ? , upwind ? , downwind ? sideslip??....WDI???
Do you????
keep us posted... jmy o[:-)

There is a case of the FAA taking action against a non-commercial pilot flying for free at a commercial DZ. So if the aircraft owner/DZO/whatever is getting paid for the flight, even if the pilot is flying for free, the pilot must have a commercial rating. If no one is making $$$, then a commercial rating isn't required.

Derek

even if the pilot is flying for free,

Isn't the pilot earning hours... (which is of value to a pilot)

Also, I remember a discussion about this... some time ago... the way I understand it is that if there is any exchange of money then the private pilot better be getting out of the airplane too... :P which is an expensive skydive for both parties... :D
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Remember: to be legal, all occupants must wear a parachute if the door opens during flight...you need a rig for your pilot. That is in the regs for certain. Don't ask me to look it up, I'm late for class already! :P

My impression is that's not a FAR, but rather just a condition of the paperwork for converting to a jump door (on some, but not all planes). If I'm right, and he exits the regular door, no such requirement would apply (that's not to say it ain't a good idea though).

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I imagine the bigger consern from a FAA standpoint would be the licensing of you're pilot friend. i.e. as I understand it the FAA requires that the pilot be commercially rated to drop jumpers and if he just has a private license it might be a problem...

I don't remember what FAR references this... but there's been a lot of dicussion on this topic here. You might try doing a search.

He can't drop jumpers "for hire". If it's his own plane, and he's receiving no compensation, a private license is sufficient. (Note building time could be considered a compensation, but wouldn't appear to be in this case).

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

That is in the regs for certain.

No, it isn't.

Derek

Per our PM's...:$

Naw Derek, apparently I am completely full of shit. :|

I could just swear that it was in FAR Part 91.307 para 'c'...that states "Unless each occupant of the aircraft is wearing an approved parachute, no pilot of a civil aircraft carrying any person (other than a crewmember) may execute any intentional maneuver that exceeds-" ...then it goes into bank angle and pitch. I SWEAR it used to also say 'open door'. My bad. :$

I have the brand spankin' new 2006 pilot's FARAIM in front of me and the 'door open' paragraph is not here. I might be losing my mind, maybe it was never there. Anyhoo, I am LATE for school!!! :o:o
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

With a proper notam filed, it ain't a bandit jump. Assuming the door hinges are on the front, the pilot is competent at slow flight and knows how to file a notam, the guy knows enough about spotting to put himself out over a large plot of land at a reasonable altitude, and the gear is modern (not snag-happy), I don't see much of a problem with the jump.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

Things to consider:

1) you have the property owners permission (assumed)

2) It's pretty much non-restricted airspace (i.e. not right next to an airfield, military base, city, whatever.)

3) You can safely get out of the door. Is it a 206U? Does it have a door over the step only, or is there one to the rear of that on the right side? Regular doors can be tricky to exit. Much attention should be paid to handles, and the pilot may need to help by "slipping" the A/C a bit. Be careful. The 206 is rated for door off flight. ADDING an in flight jump door would need an STC however.

4) The pilot, if recieving compensation needs to be comercialy rated. This may be likely since you say he owns a Lear. Compensation would be considered pay, paying for the fuel, and the like. The hours he adds would probably NOT be considered compensation as this is not a regular business or club, and probably because he really doesn't need them (remeber, he's got a Lear.)

You could always invite me alond as an unpaid consultant. (Yeah, I'm in CO now.:)
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

A C-206 is already approved for flight with the door off

a 206 is is aproved to fly with the door off, but you still have to get authorization to fly with "your" 206's door off.... as per faa circular ac 105-2c

para. 23
www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/c96c33525870370c862569de005bd7aa/$FILE/AC105-2c.pdf