wildblue

Donating a car to charity

I have an old car that I was just planning on donating to charity. It looks like recent tax law changes make it slightly less appealling. Anyone done this lately? There's a handful of charities around here that take them - how do you pick one?
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

I did it before the tax laws changed; I just picked the one that would come and pick up the car. Their website talked about their charity status, but at that particular time, I was really just interested in getting rid of the car...

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

My parents have donated a couple of cars to charity in the past, but damned if I can remember which organization took them, maybe United Way?
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Check with your local Department of Family and Children Services. They have changed the federal rules regarding receipt of cash assistance and the goal of the departments is to get women off welfare as a way of life. Often these women have many barriers to full-time employment and one of the biggest is transportation to and from work. If you could find a rural county office that has women participating in work activities, this would be a really great way to help someone who otherwise would not be able to get/keep a job in order to support their children. This has happened in my county and the recipient is still employed in the school cafeteria and has been since 1997. We have no public transportation and it enabled a 40+ yr old woman that had never worked to become self-sufficient.