stoneycase

Was I too hard on my roomate?

I do like your point here: get a communication line open between myself and the source of the $.

But I'd have to agree with Lisa on the additional lease. CA, especially, has some rather complicated and "sticky" housing laws/regs. Although I do have a "renter's manual" I could read through to be certain, I'm fairly sure that I wouldn't be able to get away with something like this.

Now that being said, the point is still valid: I need communication b/w myself the $ source. Since the middle man/woman is a complete and total waste of space, I need to take the extra step to make sure the machine continues to run as it should.
Does whisky count as beer? - Homer
There's no justice like angry mob justice. - Skinner
Be careful. There's a limited future in low pulls - JohnMitchell

Don't apologize. Throw her ass out or make sure her dad sends you the rent money directly. She's obviously too much of a child to do it on her own.

Dude get the money from her dad FIRST and then throw her out.

I'm actually gonna' have to vote for this one. After reaming TWO roommates for pulling this shit for not one month but TWO months in a row, they got all butt hurt, packed their bags while the other roommates were in class and left.......oh yeah, left us with their long distance phone bill, their portions of the electricity, gas, water/trash bill and yes, their portion of the rent (which was the largest amount since they shared the master bedroom). Hunted the bitches and their parents down and their PARENTS defended them telling us there was no way to prove their daughters owed this money as they were not on the lease nor on the utility bills. The remaining 3 of us, not rich bitches like these two, had to cover their bills so as not to have our utilities shut off or get an eviction notice.

The real great part of this story: 1 of these lovely ladies is now an attorney in a rival law firm I work with.

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky..." - Jimi Hendrix

If in all other aspects she's a good room mate accept cash or cashiers checks only for a period of time. Yelling at her a second time today won't be necessary and could be counter-productive. I don't see any need to apologize for your earlier outburst, she deserved it.
Someone mentioned sex, forget that... it'll cause more problems in the future. Keep it strictly business....
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

Ask for contact information for her family

Technically that isnt his place to ask.

Unless it states in the lease that a bounce check is cause for termination of lease then there is no legal way to do this. People bounce checks, regardless if she is daddys rich little girl she does have rights. The landlord will add fees the girl will have to pay them and well do not take cash from her anymore

I give that a big fat whatever.

1.) Her fiscal irresponsibility is demeaning his word, and landlord/tenant trust.

2.) She is showing a pattern (2 bounced checks).

3.) She doesn't show enough respect to get her dumb ass up and handle the situation, instead choosing to go to class. Class if for suckers anyways!!!! :P

4.) She suspected that this issue would occur, but didn't even alert him to the fact! Childish!

Have her handle it tonight, and if she doesn't, maybe it's time for dad to start a direct deposit.

.jim
"Don't touch my fucking Easter eggs, I'll be back monday." ~JTFC

Or, how about by other "legal" means?

Send her this via certified mail.

NOTICE

To: Jane

Stoneycase is the payee of a check you wrote for $725.00 on (date). This check was not honored due to insufficient funds.

Pursuant to California Civil Code section 1719(a)(1), notwithstanding any penal sanctions that may apply, any person who passes a check for insufficient funds will be liable to the payee for an amount not to exceed twenty-five dollars ($25) for the first check passed on insufficient funds and an amount not to exceed thirty-five dollars ($35) for each subsequent check to that payee passed on insufficient funds.

Pursuant to California Civil Code section 1719(a)(2), you shall have thirty (30) days from the date that this written demand was mailed to pay the amount of the check ($725.00), the amount of the service charge payable to the stoneycase ($____.__), and the costs to mail the written demand for payment ($__.__).

Pursuant to Civil Code section 1719(a)(2), if you fail to pay in full the amount of the check, the service charge payable to stoneycase, and the costs to mail the written demand within this 30 day period, you shall then be liable instead for the amount of the check, minus any partial payments made toward the amount of the check or the service charge within 30 days of the written demand, and damages equal to treble (triple) that amount, which shall not be less than one hundred dollars ($100) nor more than one thousand five hundred dollars ($1,500).

If you become liable for treble damages for the check that is the subject of this written demand, you shall no longer be liable for any service charge for that check and any costs to mail the written demand.

Therefore, within thirty days, please remit a check payable to stoneycase in the following amount- $____.__, as accounted for by the following:

1) $725 (Rent);
2) $__.__ (service charge);
3) $__.__ (costs for certified mail; and
4) $25.00 (statutory fee pursuant to Civil Code 1719(a)(1)

I think that will get her attention.:)

My wife is hotter than your wife.

If in all other aspects she's a good room mate accept cash or cashiers checks only for a period of time. Yelling at her a second time today won't be necessary and could be counter-productive. I don't see any need to apologize for your earlier outburst, she deserved it.
Someone mentioned sex, forget that... it'll cause more problems in the future. Keep it strictly business....

Make the sex strictly business charge her 725 for it ;)
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

;) Well I'll certainly admit I've bounced a util check before (only once), but I've never bounced a rent check...

But you're story, at least to me, seems far different:
1 - you were out of town, my problem wasn't
2 - you apologized, i got a "you're rude, be calmer" response...

It does suck I got hosed. It's my "good word" at stake here. My check to my landlord, in this case, is my word 'on paper'.

I wish I could validate your hypothesis, but really, we accepted her as a roomate for othe reasons:
1 - we had a time crunch
2 - she came from money (so i assumed money wouldn't be an issue, way to go dumba$$ james...)
3 - she would working and going to school (not a homebody)

Her looks, of course, weren't a negative, but I have reached the age (barely) where I've begun to realize that nice butt/legs are not the "end all be all" they once were.

I tried Karen, honestly I tried. I just throught wrong. I figured girl with rich parents = no problem paying bills. What I've discovered is girl with rich parents = girl with no money mgmt skills.

I think that will get her attention.:)

Or daddy's attorney ;)

That'd be good. Because the attorney would say,"She better pay it.'

Here's the source.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=civ&group=01001-02000&file=1708-1725

Just scroll on down through that easy to read section. (BTW - he lives in California, folks. This won't work anywhere else).

Now this I can definitely sign-on to. I like.

That was my whole point for getting angry on the phone: make this into a HUGE issue, make it a pain in the ass, make her *feel* my pain over the problem. Cash or Cashier's check, that's the way the process is going to work from now on.

I also like the employer/employee analogy. I think it goes well here.

I think I will apologize, slightly, for using the profanity - but I agree, I won't feel sorry for being agitated or angry.

ah the sexual favors response...i knew that was coming :) hell, i'd probably even suggest it myself, if one of you were posting this as an issue...

but, alas, i do not think i would have been quite as witty and come up with the "if she's gonna fuck you, it might as well be in a good way." that may be a new sig...

the spanking, also an excellent idea!! + pics/video, i could make a website...(j/k i don't dip the pen in the corporate ink, and i dont turn my life into an epside of the Real World, at least not anymore)

jesus christae man. that's what i calling leaving you in the lurch...well it puts it in perspective for me. at least i've got a rich bitch willing to go get cash and put it into my bank acct on the same day (after she gets out of class, of course...)

It's the bonfire. Anything goes here lol

A bit more on the serious side though:
Damn too bad you don't live in SF I have a friend who's roomates keep dicking him out of thier shares of the rent money, and he could use a solid person to share the burden of the bills.

Cash, Cashiers Check. The excuse that her daddy didn't deposit the money on time is a BS excuse. She violated your trust, and as such I believe that you handled yourself appropriatly. Allthough the strong language is a little tough, but understandable. She violated your trust, and blew it off. It is no wonder that you are pissed off.

A little less serious here:
Why dosen't she run a webcam like all the other cash strapped college girls. It can be quite profitable.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Man, you must be on the same brain wave I'm riding at the moment. Your 4 pointer basically sums up the reasons why my fuse was lit, and the blood was boiling:

1 - seriously folks, as corny as it sounds, my word is my bond when it comes to money. even my good friends know this. if i say i'm going to pay someone back, or i'm going to do something involving $, i do it, and i do it on time.
2 - yup, a pattern of not caring. the response to the cox bounce was something along the lines of "so is that a problem?"
3 - EXACTLY. you can be late/not go to class to take care of this. there are 2 other people invovled for christ sake. the world does not revolve around you...
4 - This probably frustrated me the most and sent me into the big tailspin. Telling me right from the get-go that "I thought this might happen" and having hte check bounce YESTERDAY (again I was unaware until this afternoon)...If she would have come to me and said, "I think the check might bounce" I would have kicked into overdrive and put a solution into place right then - transferring funds from my own alt accts or whatever. By coming to me up front she would've shown some spine, some character, and personal responsibility. Telling me after the fact she knew it was a problem, and then telling me I'm over-reacting or being rude...well I come from a military family, I don't hold anger in - it comes out in typical military fashion - at loud volume with *extreme* emphasis, often using long strings of profanity. ;)

You rule. I knew that CA has tough "check bounce" laws/regs but I wasn't fully aware I could collect on my own, above and beyond the actual fees I incurr.

If this goes south tonight, which it may, your letter will be in the mail first thing tomorrow AM.

Haha, $25, that's a jump ticket. So there is a silver-lining to this story...

Just wanted to thank everyone for chiming in. I'm normally the last person to start a thread, on anything, let alone a personal situation. So I certainly appreciate the serious (and fun) responses. Thanks.

Since posting this, and reading the responses I've done the following:
1 - Called the landlady, left a VM: "So sorry" 2 minutes of apologizing "Jane bounced a check to me" 2 more minutes of apologizing "If possible can u wait 1-2 business days for her cash deposit to clear" "If not, again I'm very sorry and I'd like to make sure all fines and fees are paid accordingly by Jane" "You know this is not the way I like to operate, I hope this doesn't adversely affect your view of myself or Arthur, we very much enjoy our current living arrangement, though we are frustrated with Jane."
2 - Formulated a plan for tonight

The plan:
1 - get beer
2 - get calm
3 - talk to jane: apologize for profanity. not apologize for overall anger/position. ask for cash/cashiers check for next month. tell her i've contacted irma. again re-emphasize that this looks really bad on her part and the lease renewal is coming up (basically spell it out that i will not be looking for her to renew)

and if it all fails, then notify her she will be receiving a notice via certified mail from me (thanks lawrocket, you're talking to a guy who was once pre-law, so i appreciate the point in the right direction)

i once had a roommate who just stopped paying for anything, toilet paper, food, soap, deodorant, utilities. when he went out of town at the beginning of the month without leaving me rent money, that was it. his name wasn't on the lease, so i tracked him down and told him when he got back to get the fuck out. problem was that without his income, i couldn't pay the bills. my credit went from perfect to fucked up in a hurry. this is a serious situation. your word is one thing, but credit blemishes will cause you problems and cost you a lot of money for many years. take every precaution to ensure you will get your money on time or kick her out. you were not too hard on her.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

You rule. I knew that CA has tough "check bounce" laws/regs but I wasn't fully aware I could collect on my own, above and beyond the actual fees I incurr.

If this goes south tonight, which it may, your letter will be in the mail first thing tomorrow AM.

Haha, $25, that's a jump ticket. So there is a silver-lining to this story...

Hell, hit her with a copy of it tonight. Let her know it was sent via certified mail today, because the Code says that's how it's supposed to be sent. And, yes, let her know that if she doesn't pony up the dough, she will be liable for $725.00 plus $1,500.00.

It's nice because:
1) Just hand it to her (print out the code section and enclose that with it). Let her know that it is delivered as a courtesy, and should arrive in the mail tomorrow for her.
2) Tell her that you are sorry for blowing it, and that this notice really says what you want to tell her.
3) Tell her that you mean what the notice says. No offense, but this is business and finances.
4) You really do expect it all within 30 days;
5) If it isn't paid off, you'll get a small claims court judgment for the rent amount unpaid, plus triple that amount
6) The next check that bounces will be $35 extra charge automatically, so March rent better clear, too.
7) "Please, this sucks. Don't make me prepare another one of these, but I will."
8) "So, I heard something happened at Buchanon Hall today..."

Nothing makes a point like small talk backed by a serious looking legal notice.;)

I think you should go home and spank her.I can't believe you people let this thread go this long without an appropriate response.

Some of us had to work today, i apologise for the late response...
I would get a few Blow jobs as a late fee. Maybe get some of her college friends over..Use your imagination. These college chicks will work for money..I've seen it on the tinternet
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

I thought I saw that Goleta was your "old stomping grounds" in the "postal lady goes postal" thread...so hello fellow Gaucho (you attend UCSB?)

Here's question for you though: the service charge - is there a formal limit, or is it a limit based on reason? Can I charge $50 for service fee? Can I bill her out an hour of my time, like I do my clients here at work? I don't see much in the notice about how the service charge is calculated. I confess, I haven't read the code yet, but I will. Knowing the CA housing reg's, I'm betting my answer lies in there...somewhere...

I've decided to give her a bit more leash than you suggest though. If she puts cash in tonight, then I will
1 - provide her copies of all my service charges and demand she pay them in cash in 30 days
2 - hold her liable for any and all service charges we receive from the landlady or other 3rd party as a result of this BS and demand that she pay those in cash asap, or within the required time limit.
3 - not serve her the formal notice

But, if this goes south, and I get more of the "you're being rude" or "it's not my fault it's dad's fault" then out of my briefcase will come this notice and the code section. In the morning I'll move fwd by sending Cert Mail. I really would rather not do any of that (even though it means a jump ticket) simply because I do consider myself a relatively "nice guy". But yes, this is business and it is finances. I guess now that the blood pressure has dropped a bit, I'm willing to be more flexible.