Sky15

Would you keep jumping if....(question for veterans)

This is geared toward those with some time in the sport since probably everyone newer at skydiving can't imagine quitting. I know I sure couldn't until recently.

Question is..would you keep jumping if you could only jump for "fun" and not have asprirations or goals (i.e., competing, doing world records). You can do occasional students for now as well. No boogies or traveling.

I'm at a dz now where most of the skydivers are doing team stuff. Due to family circumstances, I will never be able to travel, or spend a lot of money or time making a lot of jumps. And this won't change as the kids get older.

Could you go from 250-300 jumps a year to just 60 to 100 a year and be satisfied?

Could you step down from the sport being your passion for years, running your own training program, and only jump sometimes only occasionally, depending on time of year, money/students, etc.?

I still love being in the air, but feel a little out of place now. Can't be full time staff, can't compete, can't travel. I used to teach full time and did aspire to record jumps, and did some years ago.

How do you know when it's just not worth it anymore?

If you are an instructor...if you had to stop jumping with students would your answer change?

I had to take what amounted to a break for a couple of years... very little jumping, and those were mostly hop & pops. It was still a fun hobby, but not the consuming thing it had been before. At the time my aspirations had been instructor ratings, and when I got the last one (AFF), I looked at my skydiving and asked myself "What now?" That was a couple years ago. I still fun jump some, I instruct as much as possible, and I strive for improvement, but it's different now without clearly set goals in front of me. I used to think about competition, but I doubt I'll ever follow through. I used to think about bigway world records, but I'm not sure I want to pay all the dues to get to that level. I'm trying to become a better freeflyer, and I have fun learning to fly my wingsuit. Even if I couldn't work with students, those things hold my interest enough to keep me in the sport. Once I've got them down as well as I do my belly skills I'll probably try to find something else to do. If I can't find anything, well, I've already shown myself that occasional jumping (less than the stated 100/year) is better for me than not jumping at all. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I have been seriously injured twice.

Once Skydiving and Once Military Jumping.

The Skydiving Incident took me out for 2.5 Yrs. Much of that time was rehabilitation. I wanted to make sure I was as good as I could get back to normal.

My instructor ratings went uncurrent. I am in the process of updating now.

Personally I do not do it for competing or World Records. I would lIke to possibly get on the World Team but the military keeps me too busy to stay in the loop.

With that said, the answer is yes. I enjoy just being in the atmosphere. Helping where I can. Assisting young up and coming jumpers.

Just your knowledge can help them out and you do not always have to charge for assistance.

I did not see what state you live in but I am fortunate enough that I can goto a boogie without it being an inconvenience.

Even so I could go out and enjoy the time I had when I could go.

It is all by choice though.

I personally do not jump for recognition or medals. I do it for the pure enjoyment. All aspects of it.

:)

Laters,

K-MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! B|

The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!

"HESITATION CAUSES DEATH!!!"
"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES

You can do occasional students for now as well

sweet... fresh meat..........

as for not being able to travel or make as many jumps as before.. well i've never been able to make more than 200 a year as it is and i would be satisfied with 60-100 a year.... wouldn't be as current as i would like but it would work.... i love jumping even if it is not alot.......

I can, and do, jump only for fun. I don't really teach, except for a little very informal mentoring and coaching (for which I have no ratings and don't charge). Passionate devotion to the sport is great, but it's not for everyone. People who are single and pre-kids can do that; it's a lot harder for people who are in the rasing-a-family stage of life. And even if you're on your own, who says you MUST be all-consumed by skydiving? Seems too much like work to me. To me, it's a wonderful hobby and recreation, nothing more, nothing less. And that's what makes it worth it for me. Being strictly a fun-jumper is only "not worth it" if it's not worth it for you.

Thanks for the input..

Also, I have coached and jumped with many off student status, and have never been paid a penny and only a couple of times did I even let them pay my slot.

It's just that I've always had goals/direction in the sport, and been mostly teaching for over 10 years, so it's an adjustment to switch to just sporadic/occasional jumping with no goals or even possibilities out there. Guess I'll just hang with it til I decide no more and take it one weekend at a time for now, sent in the renewal and $.

Good to know I'm not the only one at my experience level not doing or planning to do any serious stuff.

Thanks!

Would I keep jumping if...?

Without a doubt!

My circumstances have changed considerably over the years: I gave up instructing so that I could devote more time to competition and still maintain a family life.

I gave up competition when I accepted a contract in Saudi Arabia 2 years ago. Timing sucked as the DZ I jumped at in the UAE sold its Caravan and has only operated a Cessna 182 since then.

Now my rate of jumping has gone way down, but I have no intention of giving up. The fact I can't jump as much as I want is one of the factors that have made me change my circumstances again and I will not renew my contract here in 2 months' time.

I had no problem giving up competition and the rate of jumps needed for that. I have a problem doing as few jumps as geographic circumstances currently permit.

To get back to your original point: skydiving is worth sticking around for.

Honestly, I have enough going on in my life that if I don't go to the DZ I don't mind. I have done my fair share of stuff (13 years, 3800 jumps), got on some big ways (110), scored well at nationals (7th in open), did some cool demos (82nd team member), taught some students (AFF,SL, Tandem), Lived on a DZ in FL for about three years (Zhills), met some great people, lost some great people.

One of my friends burned in...And another quit over it. My friend that quit once told me, "Ron, I used to drive to the DZ every weekend. All the people I passed I thought, what idiots, I am driving to the DZ to SKYDIVE! And they go about their lives never living".

Now that he has been out a few years (2003). He tells me, "Now I drive to (insert about anything). And I think of all the guys on DZ's thinking they are living life...But all they do is the same thing weekend after weekend. I miss my friends, but I don't miss the money drain and the time drain on my life. I have money an time to do things now"

I still like to jump, but now that I live 80 miles from the DZ not on it, and since I have other things going on in my life...A weekend at the DZ without jumping is as much fun as any given day at the DZ.

You fill your life with what you can. It does not matter what it is.

If it were not for my 4way team....I bet my DZ visits would be much lower than they are now. Its not that I don't like skydiving...Its just I have other things to do. (as I type this in an Airport in the middle of the night for a Vacation/work trip)

Relax and you will find your place....It might be on the DZ, it might be time to find the next thing in your life.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

in reply to "How do you know when it's just not worth it anymore?

If you are an instructor...if you had to stop jumping with students would your answer change?

Everyone's an instructor in this sport although only some are actually qualified;)

Doing 100 jumps in a year over say a six month period can still be very rewarding. You may not be at the same intensity level as before but you see a whole lot more than when you've got your head down working hard.

Veteran skydivers are an asset to any operation whether they are employed or not. Just by you being there and sharing your experience others will learn from you . You may be surprised just how much direct contact with students still happens especially if the FT instructors have less time in sport than you.

It's especially rewarding to be able to indirectly assist students /novices/(& any-one ) with a quiet word or two after they've approached you. They appreciate it and remember what you say and get to see you practice what you preach.
Every-one wins if our most experience skydivers are still hanging around and remain approachable.

B|