eli4247

Katana or Mamba???

"Mamba has quite a short recovery arc or at least shorter than Katana"

Have to call bullshit on this one. On a 117 I was turning at 570feet for a 270 - and I turn in at 620 with my VX. Maybe you are thinking about the vision which is very stiletto like

I don't agree with what Dave is saying about the relative performance but what I will say is that the Mamba definetly seems to kick on later in the flare stroke - particularly when in rears - you really need to give it more as it seems to have a long stroke.

The katanna and mamba are very SIMILAR canopy - my mamba opens in very deep breakes and is definetly the most sensitive canopy I have jumped on opening. Once you get used to it - no worries but is a little weird at first. The trim is similar to a VX (slightly less) but is not as steep as Velocity

Which would I get either - katana might be a bit more user friendly but both work great. Go with whatever feels better, is cheaper, or whatever is most important to you.
"Don't blame malice for what stupidity can explain."

"In our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart and in our despair, against our will comes wisdom" - Aeschylus

hello all. im interested in possibly purchasing one of these canopies. or another with a longer dive than i seem to be getting out of my samurai 135. Any input about these two canopies (or another) would be great. my wing loading is 1.7, and ive got hundreds of jumps on Samurai's.
Thanks

Elijah

I think from this thread and the response you have gotten, it is about time you got yourself a demo and made your own choice on which canopy is best for you. In the long run it's a varied objective view on what flight characteristics we each enjoy.

When I first jumped the Mamba in 2006, it did not feel like a canopy that was the right fit for me, so I remained on my Vision (this is before I worked for Aerodyne). Over the last 2 years I have come to enjoy the Mamba, it has such great versatility. The one thing I like the most is the openings and rear riser control. ;)

I'm confident that no mater which canopy you end up buying, your making a good choice.

If your ready to demo, please give us a call at the office and lets get one out to you.

Blue Skies

Karl Meyer
Marketing Coordinator
Aerodyne Research
Office: 1 813 891 6300
www.flyaerodyne.com

hello all. im interested in possibly purchasing one of these canopies. or another with a longer dive than i seem to be getting out of my samurai 135. Any input about these two canopies (or another) would be great. my wing loading is 1.7, and ive got hundreds of jumps on Samurai's.
Thanks

You might give Brian Germain a call and inquire about the swooping lineset with its longer length and steeper trim.