mnealtx

Rubber banding lines while packing?

The recent mention of psycho packing had me traveling back to the Precision Aero pages to look at it again.

I've got a pretty big main (Sabre 2 230) so I looked at the tandem packing page and noticed something odd.

If you look at the 4th, 5th and 6th pictures, it shows a rubber band around a couple of (I think?) C lines. It then shows the packer putting a bight of lines into the rubber bands.

Are these the D and control lines, or just the control lines? Is there a reason to do it, and, if so, is it feasible for sport canopies like mine? (Also known as flying tuna boats)

Why or why not?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

i've seen tandems packed with rubber bands around the steering lines. i think it's actually the rubber band is looped through itself around the shortest (inboard) steering line and the other steering lines are stowed in it, much like stows on a d-bag. keeps them even and in a bunch, supposed to reduce (greatly) the likelihood of a lineover.

i have, however, been wrong about stuff before, and i don't pack tandems.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

The rubber band is used by some to control the excess control line on the PA/Eclipse and Icarus tandem canopies that results from those canopies not having an brake stow. The rubber band is half hitched to the center c or d lines and then a bight of line is slowed loosely within, in the effort to reduce line overs.

I don't use it as I think packing cleanly does much more to prevent line overs (never had one on a pack job of mine) and I think the stow contributes to the formation of tension knots. But what do I know?B|

----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Well, the page isn't working for me right now so I can't see what you're talking about. But on the tandems I pack there is a rubber band attached to one of the shorter brake lines. The two longer brake lines are then kind of S folded until the length of the shorter brake lines. Is that what you're talking about or am I completely off?

What you're describing is commonly refered to as a "tailgate" and is used heavily in BASE, most often in jumps made with no slider. It was orriginally invented to prevent tail inversions, but as was said above, is now used on some tandems with no d-brakes to lessen the occurance of line-overs.
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

What you're describing is commonly referred to as a "tailgate" and is used heavily in BASE, most often in jumps made with no slider. It was orrginally invented to prevent tail inversions, but as was said above, is now used on some tandems with no d-brakes to lessen the occurance of line-overs.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Three different gadgets to do the same job.

The original poster mentioned a rubber band - attached to an outboard steering line - to control the longer steering lines.

Tail gate is the second gadget, primarily used by BASE jumpers to prevent the tail from inflating too early and out-running the front of the canopy. Tail gates are attached to a C line and are used by BASE jumpers who exit so low they do not use sliders.

Slider gate is the third device. It is popular with BASE jumpers who take longer delays and IAD/Static-kine schools that train British soldiers. A slider gate is similar to a tail gate, but it is sewn to the trailing edge of the slider.
I don't know if slider gates really affect openings??? But, I do believe that a slider-gate's primary purpose is to force packers to focus on keeping steering lines center rear. The end result is that slider gate-equipped canopies suffer almost ZERO line-overs (as evidenced by the lack of friction burns on the top skin.

Well, I wasn't sure if the bands were on a control line or a normal line, but yeah...

I'm still curious as to the benefit for normal jumpers, though - it still seems to me that it would be helpful in keeping the control lines in the center of the packjob....especially us folks that can't stay as current as we'd like or that suck at packing (double whammy for me, there)...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

My old Airtime Jonathan had a rubberband holder sewn to the rear of the slider, just to keep the steering lines under control and in the center when packing. Always worked and opened like a charm.
Maybe Brian G can shear some light on the subject, although he was (I think) not involved with that canopy but something with an airlock that came later...

Sweetest canopy, never gave me any troubles, and always brings out a smile from me whenever I see it being flown...and oh yeah, it is mostly bright pink white white 2 & 7 cells. Haha.
chris

Sweetest canopy, never gave me any troubles, and always brings out a smile from me whenever I see it being flown...and oh yeah, it is mostly bright pink white white 2 & 7 cells. Haha.

sounds like my old sabre 190. i called it the cotton-candy overcast. you could always see me coming. :D
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001