newshooter12

Ireland Currency Info.. IRL/UK people

I'm looking for info about what kind of currency to carry over to the southern part of Ireland. Some have said Euros... others have said Punt notes... i just don't want to get hosed paying through the nose exchange rates over there because all i've got is US currency or travellers checks.

what should i use there??
matt

As others have said, Euro (there's no s on the plural, fact fans!). Ireland switched 4-5 years ago.

Take your ATM (debit) card out of your wallet. Look at the back. Does it have Cirrus, Plus, or Maestro on it? If so, it'll work in pretty much every ATM in Ireland. Ask your bank how much they charge on foreign currency withdrawals - $2 + 1.5% is common. This can work out substiantially cheaper than going to your local Bureau de Change if you take out $200 at a time.

Have fun!

I didn't bother with Traveler's Checks when I went to Europe last summer. I used my credit card for most purchases and pulled out cash from an ATM machine every few days like Bob.dino mentioned. Make sure you check with your hotel on what currency they accept. The chain hotels we stayed at took credit cards but most of the small, family-owned places didn't.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon