Steel

Do you think I was lucky?

I don't but here is what happpened. So I am going to lunch with my girlfriend happily. Suddenly I hear a loud pop. I pull over and look at my tires and they both look fine. So I take off again and enjoy my speed, get to my fudds go inside and eat lunch. I come out and get on my bike start rolling it back and realize its hard as hell to push, so I look down and see my back tire is completely flat. I slowly ride it down the block and try to fill the f-n tire. Now I see I have a fast leak on it. I think I am fucked because they won't fix a bike flat here and I suddenly remember that I carry a plug under my passenger seat. So I plug it, fill it and go back to work.
So was I lucky that I had a plug? Or was that just my doing as I was thinking ahead? Am I lucky that I didn't loose control? I say no, if anything I was unlucky that I ran over whatever it was that gave me a flat in the first place.
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.

I don't . . . first place.

Lucky you didn't crash - yes - blown tires on a bike can be pretty bad -
Smart - yes - nice way to be prepaired . . .
Unlucky - No - not really - shit happens it just happened to you tis time - obviously you already knew it could.:)
Glad it worked out for you.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Unlucky - No - not really - shit happens it just happened to you tis time - obviously you already knew it could.:)Glad it worked out for you.

Thanks, I think it should be ok, although I really won't know for sure until 5, when I am leaving. Then I will know for sure that I plugged it right.

Unlucky - No - not really - shit happens it just happened to you tis time - obviously you already knew it could.:)Glad it worked out for you.

Thanks, I think it should be ok, although I really won't know for sure until 5, when I am leaving. Then I will know for sure that I plugged it right.

What kind of bike?
More importantly - what kind of tire . . .
Speed bikes should really have thier tires changed (Only My Opinion) if damage occurs.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

FYI

A plug is a great temp. fix. but:

It voids ANY mfrs. warranty on the tire.
They can also be dangerous over time, especially on a bike. The plug will dry up and allow moisture to get near the steel belts thus causing rust. Which will lead to a belt separation. Usually it doesnt go that far because if moisture is getting in then air is going out so they usually just leak over time. If that happens while you are on the highway then as the airpressure decreases the airtemp. increases, once it gets to about 220 degrees F then it will blow. Not good.

I would highly suggest that you get it to the shop and let them remove the plug and patch it from the inside. They might leave the plug and just snip it from the inside thus leaving a filler inside the tire and thats ok.

I spent 18 years in the wholesale/retail tire business before I cutaway and went skydiving. Just to let you know where i learned this stuff from.

Dont forget to replace the plug you used with a new one under the seat so you can be ready for the next one.;)

Oh and yes I think you were very lucky by having the flat while you were parked.

Clint is right, if it has a greater rating than V or Z than they may want you to replace it due to speed requirements.
J

What kind of bike?
More importantly - what kind of tire . . .
Speed bikes should really have thier tires changed (Only My Opinion) if damage occurs.

Ninga, zx-9. It was in the center not on a side wall, and the tire has less than 1000 miles on it. Its actually not the first time, I plugged a tire on this bike. When I first got it, I had a flat that I plugged, and I ran the tires for another 5K miles after that.

FYI

A plug is a great temp. fix. but:

It voids ANY mfrs. warranty on the tire.
They can also be dangerous over time, especially on a bike. The plug will dry up and allow moisture to get near the steel belts thus causing rust. Which will lead to a belt separation. Usually it doesnt go that far because if moisture is getting in then air is going out so they usually just leak over time. If that happens while you are on the highway then as the airpressure decreases the airtemp. increases, once it gets to about 220 degrees F then it will blow. Not good.

I would highly suggest that you get it to the shop and let them remove the plug and patch it from the inside. They might leave the plug and just snip it from the inside thus leaving a filler inside the tire and thats ok.

I spent 18 years in the wholesale/retail tire business before I cutaway and went skydiving. Just to let you know where i learned this stuff from.

Dont forget to replace the plug you used with a new one under the seat so you can be ready for the next one.;)

Oh and yes I think you were very lucky by having the flat while you were parked.

J

Thanks, I will look into putting a patch on it, and I will of course be taking a trip to walmart to replace the plug I had as a back up.

Yes, you got lucky.

Putting a plug or a patch on a sport bike tire is stupid and dangerous however. Sorry, it's time to replace the tire. Don't be cheap with your life.:|
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

I plugged my car tire with a whole lot of rubber bands once (the idea was for it to be a temporary fix).

It never did start leaking again; I finally replaced the tire for age about a year later. But now I know that if I ever have a flat on my bike, I should not do something like that...

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

i see from your sig line you like "rent." great play and movie

Yeah I haven't seen the play but I was quite impressed with the movie and the music in it. I think me and girlfriend will probably see it next time we are in the NYC area, or if it comes to Dallas.

I plugged my car tire with a whole lot of rubber bands once (the idea was for it to be a temporary fix).

It never did start leaking again; I finally replaced the tire for age about a year later. But now I know that if I ever have a flat on my bike, I should not do something like that...

Wendy W.

reminds me of the farmers, they would take a nail out and put a bigger one in,usually worked.
Great thinking..