screwbag

"normal" people

Good Morning Screamer!
(knock, knock, you wake yet? Please don't shoot me!)
Divadiver

This post is for divadiver's motorcycle forum inquistion. I'll have to check w/ some of my biker cronies about any forums (we're a bunch of racers, not harley type bikers). Anyway, you should check out Bike Week in Daytona Beach during the spring. The town is invaded by over 600,000 bikers on everything imaginable for over seven days. Oh yeah, and Daytona is only twenty minutes from Deland, home of PD and Relative Workshop as well as an amazing dz. Nothing better than riding to the dz and then jumping out from the gate of a skyvan! If you're thinking of spelunking, you should check out Carlsbad Caverns in SW New Mexico. They have everything from beginner stuff to unexplored sections, truly something to be experienced. The main cavern is unbelievable, although it's not exactly spelunking. It has paved walkways, and is so enormous, it even has a cafeteria down inside the cave. In my opinion, these are two things that one should not die without having experienced them. But then again, just my two cents.

Hotload:
Sweet! Thank you for volunteering to ask around for me!
I'm in Virginia (o.k., go ahead a laugh Pammi), so I'll probably start out either here or West Va. caving to see if I like that kind of thing. First the sky, then the ocean and now I'm going underground!!
600,000 bikers!! Woow, sounds like there would be some wild times to be had there!
Thanks again!
Diva

Yo Diva, thanks for the quick response to my private message about bikes. I think that what you said about the DMV is true here in TX, believe it or not. I think most people have someone they know teach them how to ride first, then study for the license test. We have BIZILLIONS of Harley Riders where I live so I better go kiss up!!
Sis
"What we're all really seeking is something where we can feel the rapture of being alive."J.Campbell

In my limited experience it is hardly fair to call skydivers 'one-dimensional'.

That's not quite what I meant. If that's the way I came across, my apologies. What I was trying to get across was that if you have tha attitude that whatever whuffos talk about or do is boring then that's kind of one-dimensional thinking: "skydiving is all that matters". From what you've said, I'd hardly call you one-dimensional. Then again, from reading some of your posts, I think 3-dimensional would also be an understatement. :D
As far as Emma's comment that whuffos get bored quickly... I totally understand. My wife gets that way. Basically it's because we naturally fall into skydiver-speak, which most people don't understand.
I've found most people respond postively if I avoid terms like "AAD" and "big-way" just describe the concept as if I were teaching it to someone for the first time. They seem to get into it more and ask more questions.

***And then I go back to being 'novelty skydiving friend' who is no longer able to converse about anything except a pretty esoteric sport that simultanously fascinates and bores the masses. So I end up being humoured until I can escape***.
I hear that Emma! I dont bring it up because of those same reasons. Last week I got to do a 120ft night wall dive (SCUBA), then played at my first "island" DZ. What a thrilling week!!!!!
Sitting with the "normal" people last night. All I did was keep my mind in the latest adventures and nod when it came to the do's and dont's of lawn care.....and whoever "Raymond" is..

Emma,
Lovely response. It is wonderful to discuss a delicate topic with you in such a rational and benevolent manner. Others tend to get a bit defensive when opinions don't equal theirs'.
Very nice counterpoints, may I say. I hope that you did not view my post as a direct attack on your thoughts. I certainly respect your opinion, however different it may be from mine. Although, it did serve to decrease my threshold regarding the prevailing sentiments that are expressed towards the non-skydiving community on this site, as well as around my dropzone.
My rebuttal would consist of just a few thoughts. If you can't seem to talk to your friends about anything at all, then maybe the problem is not that of skydiving. It seems as though the rift has been formed when your friends decided to pursue the more domestic avenue of life. As Zennie so eloquently stated previously, "different strokes, ya know?" To which I couldn't agree more. I also agree with you completely in that I have no interest in the words baby, family car, lawncare, or any other parts of speech indicitive of the nuclear family. Possibly a more distant relationship with these specific friends would be beneficial to you both.
As for whuffos pigeon-holing skydivers, it absolutely does happen. However, these are the people who are generally ignorant in nature, and with whom I choose not to associate. I think one of the differences in our perspectives is that I have maintained a relative balance between skydiving and the other areas of my life. This is presumptuous on my part, having no knowledge of your lifestyle. I may have completely missed the mark, but it is food for thought, and nothing more. This way, my friends still view me as the person they've always known, with only a slight modification to my weekend activities.
I have also found it helpful to keep responses regarding skydiving very brief. I try to let my friends continue inquiring until they are content. For example, if someone asks me how skydiving was that weekend, I usually tell them it was fun. They will usually ask how many times I jumped or something general, to which I respond accordingly. At this point, they either become more intrigued, or move on to the next topic. However, I find the less descriptive I am, the more inquisitive they become. Which is fine by me as I do enjoy educating people about our beloved pasttime. That may very well be another potential difference between us. I 'talk' to my skydiving friends about skydiving, while I try to 'educate' my other friends about skydiving. But only when they present the topic. It seems to work better that way.

Well, for whatever it is worth, those are some of my thoughts on our topic. It was very nice talking with you, Emma, and I look forward to reading your insightful reply.
-Anonymous 'Bob'
(Is that better?)

I 'talk' to my skydiving friends about skydiving, while I try to 'educate' my other friends about skydiving. But only when they present the topic. It seems to work better that way.

AnonyBob, I think you hit the mark on that. People tend to glaze over when I bring up skydiving - when I push it onto the conversation, so to speak. However, if I'm a little recalcitrant when they ask about it, we spend longer talking about it than if I'd started the discussion myself. I still have to stop myself from taking off on a rant if they mention the word "dangerous." I've done a lot of research on relative fatality risks in several sports, and frankly it makes me wary of driving and SCUBA diving. Now if only I could get them to listen on that point...
Blues, squares,
PTiger

Until I feel the need to give a name,

Well lets see if we can offer you a need!
You felt a need to give your opinion!
How about courtesy!
Maybe common decency!
Or maybe even just plain politeness!
Respect for others!
How about manners?
This is why the rest of us feel the need!
Did someone mention flameproof underwear? I guess after this one I'm gonna need a pair! :P
Hopefully in the near future you'll feel the need so we can all get to know you. You had some great points, and some not so great. :)some fun eh!
bleau skies
Cloud9, AKA Cloud, but Mom just called me Larry

Anonymous 'Bob':
RE:'If you can't seem to talk to your friends about anything at all, then maybe the problem is not that of skydiving. It seems as though the rift has been formed when your friends decided to pursue the more domestic avenue of life......
Yes indeed. It seems as if, just as (some of) my friends have 'settled down', I, conversely, have taken off - several times each weekend in a Turbolet 410, to be precise. My Mum is starting to question why I prefer leaping from 'perfectly good' aeroplanes, to getting married and impregnated. Hmmm. Tough choice.
My Nan wants grandchildren. My colleagues think I'm so-o-o-o-o wacky! (Ugh)
My boss looks at me every Monday as if he's surprised I'm still alive - because he actually IS surprised.
A bit off the subject, but it reminds me of some nice old chappy we had down the DZ a while ago. His 18 year-old son was down to do a tandem, and so he was enquiring about how safe it is....The DZO just decided to tease him a little bit (well, it had been a long, tandem-filled day), and told him it was pretty safe really...In fact, he said, 'We only lose 20 or 30 tandem passengers here each year'...To which the bloke replied with a RELIEVED smile, 'Oh, well that's not so bad then, I suppose'
!!!!!!!!
Yes, we did put the record straight. But it was his own son! Does he think skydivers are crazy? Obviously, yes!
RE: 'I also agree with you completely in that I have no interest in the words baby, family car, lawncare, or any other parts of speech indicitive of the nuclear family'.
Buzz words in my suburban weekday hell are:
fitted kitched
'Wedding' magazine
Garden furniture
Pension plans (oh yesssss)
Stencilling (!!!!!)
Tescos home shopping (actually very good for the time-poor)
Anyway, it's Friday and we have a 3-day weekend here in the UK, perhaps I may even get to launch an exit that doesn't funnell this weekend!
Emma

Screwbag, I guess that over those four years of your skydiving experience, you had plenty of opportunities to figure out how dull the "normal" partying with whuffos may be. But that must've become usual for you... That's news to me yet as I graduated from andygrom's AFF course only about a month ago (andygrom - thanks and see u this week-end for yet another RW dive :) )

just curious, is it normal to gradually start feeling more and more guilty about seeing your non-skydiving friends less and less - just because you spend all week-ends at the dz? From my perspective, the better technique is to get as many of your buddies into skydiving as possible. It's a pity that it doesn't work as often as it should...

Hey, I think we are all "normal", whether you jump or not. I enjoy hanging out with my neighbors and friends who do not jump, just like I get a kick out of hanging out with my jumping friends. I feel it is important to embrace other people's interests. All my non-jumping friends are aware that I jump, and many of them ask how it is going. If they bring the subject up I answer their question, then we talk about 4 wheeling or fishing or whatever.
Every now and then, one of them will approach me or give me a call to ride up to the dropzone and do a tandem.
Anyway, that is my 2 cents...
later
glad to be here!!

On second thought....
I do get the same questions all the time..
How high did you go?
Did your parachute open?
Are you crazy...you have kids, that is so irrespondsible.....
Can you breath in free-fall?
What if you parachute did not open?
is your parachute round???
and the list goes on...

Ryan.
glad to be here!!

You realize you just pulled up a 4 year old thread, don't you? I don't think Screbag even posts here anymore. :S

Damn! I wasn't even around when you could post as a guest! LMAO

Did we ever find out who anonymous was?

--------------

(Do not, I repeat DO NOT, take my posts seriously.)