diablopilot

Words you'd like to see eliminated.

-Pre-owned. Used car, people!

-Mmm...Mmmm..., Well you know, the "M" word. Should never be used to describe a slight and correctly damp cake.>:(

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

"awesome" - it's lost it's real meaning. What do we say now to express when something really does bring about a sense of awe in us?

"extreme" - also used for too much, and lost it's meaning. E.g. "extreme sport" extremely what sport? Extremely dangerous? Extremely difficult? Extremely uncommon?
I often see skateboarding on the extreme sport channel ... huh?

This one is really a collection of words, or phrases, but I'm including it anyway, cos it winds me up. Probably because I'm too lazy to figure it out: rhyming slang - for those of you who don't know what it is, look here or here. Example: "How about a butcher's?" meaning "How about a look?" because "look" rhymes with "butcher's hook". Clever, but silly. :P

I hate the word/slang "dis". This stupid term came about from inner city thugs, then was adopted by youth who wanted to sound cool and has now found a way into the english language. I hate hearing otherwise educated people saying things like " He is dissing me" IT IS NOT A WORD!!!

I have heard newscasters use the word "dis"

I heard a senior professor (one of our top researchers) in a debate with another researcher over an article she wrote respond by saying " You don't know the subject matter well enough to "dis" my article like that". I almost lost it. She has a Phd and uses inner city punk slang like that! AAAAUUUUUGHH!!!!!!

Use of that word is indicative of the "dumming down" of the english language and our society as a whole.

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

Yeah, those are the same people who go to the "liberry", wear "julery", and eat "choclit".

Yous better stop making fun of my homies. You know they don't go to the liberry!

"One out of every four American's are suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you."

"dumming down" of the english language

Do you mean "dumbing down" perhaps?
Sorry, couldn't resist - you left it wide open :D

AAUUGGH! Busted! I plead ignorance.

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

That one word that everybody uses even though I don't think it's even a word...what the hell is it??? AHHHHHHH!!!!!! This happens every time I try to think of the word, and then when I hear it again, it's like nails on a chalk board.

>:(

"Irregardless." It's not even a legitimate word, and when I hear it, I find myself filled with an urge to stab the person who used it in the jaw.

Other than that, there are some real words that I wish people would use correctly, especially in the car world:

"Rims" is a fantastic example. Rims are part of a WHEEL. You bought new WHEELS, not new RIMS. Unless you have 2- or 3-piece wheels, which 99% of the world does not.

"Spoiler" and "wing": They are not the same thing, and should not be used interchangably.
cavete terrae.

"Irregardless." It's not even a legitimate word, and when I hear it, I find myself filled with an urge to stab the person who used it in the jaw.

I'll hold them down for you;)

"Spoiler" and "wing": They are not the same thing, and should not be used interchangably.

What is the difference? Hell...what is a "wing"?

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky..." - Jimi Hendrix

CONVERSATE and
HEIGHTH get me so friggin out of sorts.

ACROST is another.

I know, I know, the way I type I should be one to talk but really, I'm not as think as you dumb I am.

the term " ALL/ANYTHING BUT..." bothers me b/c everyone uses it incorrectly.
It should be used to explain things that could ONLY be one way, but most people use it when they mean it was "anything but" that one way.
My photos

My Videos

Pussy-Fart

It's not the word that bothers me as much as the function... :-)

-S

PS - Don't even start with the "it's a normal function", or "we have to put up with you scratching yourself", etc...