sunman

Ah crap, I fell for it...

I posted my canopy in the classifieds, and somebody, speaking for their "client", wanted to buy it. I've heard of these scams, so I'm pissed at myself for falling for it. He was insistant that his client wanted to see pictures of the canopy, so I guess it seemed legit. I go back and forth with the guy and his emails for a couple months, waiting for a payment of $300 to show up for the canopy. Finally I get two international money orders in the mail, for $1500 each. I email the guy about it and he tells me there's been a mistake, can I cash the money order and send him the difference... blah blah blah. Then I remembered hearing about this sort of thing before. I guess I forgot about that old trick, or didn't see coming because I've never heard of it being done like this. Does anyone out there know what somebody has to gain by doing this? I wouldn't, but what's to stop me from just pocketing the $3000, if these money orders are really legit? I think I will just send the money orders back and kindly decline to join in on whatever fucked up scheme they've got going on. Any other ideas?

The FBI typically enjoy hearing about these sorts of scams. Especially if its across state lines. Call up your local office and see to it that these scammers don't get to take advantage of any other skydivers.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Does anyone out there know what somebody has to gain by doing this? I wouldn't, but what's to stop me from just pocketing the $3000, if these money orders are really legit?

The fact that the money orders are surely not legit. I mean, what fool would send $3000 by mistake?
Just send them back and stop answering their mails.
Cheers,

Vale