eeneR

Questions on Pergo/Laminate Flooring

Ok, so what has been the experince of others with laying this stuff down, over all cost and any issues you have had after the fact?
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

i have solid bamboo in my kitchen, and i like it. the advantage of solid wood is that you can refinish it, as in sanding it down.

however, i am a builder, and i put a product called QuickStep in the hosues i build. comes in a wide varity of color, and has a 25 year warrenty. and, it is a "floating" floor, with a thin pad under it, so it has some give, which is good if your house is a slab on grade floor. this stuff is about 1/2 the cost to install, due to the reduced labor.

Yea, I used to have hardwood in my old house. At the moment though I cant afford to go all the way to hardwood flooring. I want to ditch the carpet as I have 2 dogs and vacuuming the dog hair on carpet is a pain. It was so much easier maint. wise when I had the hard wood floors. So the closest option I have is going pergo/laminate for now. Maybe switch to hardwood at a later date.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

When we ripped up the carpets in our rental homes we put in Pergo flooring. It looks great and the instal was a breeze. The floor’s are about five years old and they are still in perfect condition. Our renters have big dogs and there are no scratches what so ever and they are easy to clean too!

I worked in an apartment complex that switched from hardwood to pergo in kitchens. Visually, you really couldn't tell the difference, and it was easier to install, easier to clean, less maintenance, and if you dropped a big pot on pergo, it bounces, and if you drop a big pot on wood it leaves a dent.

Dupont "Real Touch Elite" is a great product. Only available at home depot (I don't work for home depot or dupont!). It comes with the pad attached, & installs quick & easy. You can install it with two people, a table saw & a router for U shaped cuts.

Make sure your entire floor is level (3/16" over 10'). Other than that, you're pretty good to go!

It's good stuff!

Dupont "Real Touch Elite" is a great product. Only available at home depot (I don't work for home depot or dupont!). It comes with the pad attached, & installs quick & easy. You can install it with two people, a table saw & a router for U shaped cuts.

Make sure your entire floor is level (3/16" over 10'). Other than that, you're pretty good to go!

It's good stuff!

Excellent to know about that, I know when I was looking at pergo the padding was extra. Install just as easy? Snap and go pretty much?
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Spring for the extra sound padding too if they still offer it. Pergo is loud as hell if you live in an open floorplan house like we used to and have dogs. We wished over an over we had gotten it! You will LOVE Pergo when you paint because if you spill it on it it will just flake off! :)

You will LOVE Pergo! I promise!:)

Oh yeah, as far as cleaning it just use vinegar and water to clean it. TBH, anything will leave water spots on it unless you use a towel to dry it afterwards. My sister used one of those Hoover things for hard floors that sprays water and then squeegies it up and she swore it worked wonders. ??? Forget those expensive Swiffer thingies as they leave a slight film even when you get the ones for hard wood floors that are wet. Still, even with the water spots you will love Pergo!

Quick, easy, reasonably priced and looks great. It took my son and me about three hours to do a 12 X 15' room including a closet. Going to do the master bedroom next. Bought the flooring at Costco and everything else at Home Depot.
Time and pressure will always show you who a person really is!

Ok, so what has been the experince of others with laying this stuff down, over all cost and any issues you have had after the fact?

Careful, Renee. Please read this post of mine before going laminate...
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1446811#1446811
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Careful, Renee. Please read this post of mine before going laminate...
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1446811#1446811

Thanks for the info! Actually both of mine spent quite a bit of their lives early on living in a home with hard wood. Having said that there will also be area rugs etc.
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

How long did it end up taking you to do the whole room start to finish?

3 days start to finish (30 hours)...by myself.

That's tearing out the old carpet...and
I 'painted' the floor (concrete) with a sealer.
That was one day...

Two more to lay the padding and the flooring...it's a bit slow at first, but once you get the hang of it...moves along pretty fast.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I want to ditch the carpet as I have 2 dogs and vacuuming the dog hair on carpet is a pain. It was so much easier maint. wise when I had the hard wood floors.

That depends on how you look at it. W/ hardwood floors the hair and dust will blow around easily and have to be kept up often. Carpet will trap the dust and hair better and keep it from getting airborne. If you didn't have shedding dogs, I'd go with the wood floor. But with pets, I like carpet better, as long as they're house broke :)
Signed
Martha Stewarts Gigolo

---
xenaswampjumper SPANKS THIS ASS!!! I WISH karenmeal spanked this ass too.....

Havent been a flooring installer for a few years but have installed thousands of feet of laminate. unless things have changed you need to glue the tounge and groove. use small rachet srtaps to tighten the joints especially with the thicker pad you have underneath.

If it says "made for the do-it-yourselfer" or somthing similar stay away from it.

"It seemed like a good idea at the time"

I want to ditch the carpet as I have 2 dogs and vacuuming the dog hair on carpet is a pain. It was so much easier maint. wise when I had the hard wood floors.

That depends on how you look at it. W/ hardwood floors the hair and dust will blow around easily and have to be kept up often. Carpet will trap the dust and hair better and keep it from getting airborne. If you didn't have shedding dogs, I'd go with the wood floor. But with pets, I like carpet better, as long as they're house broke :)
Signed
Martha Stewarts Gigolo

But you see having had both, I feel the exact opposite. Both my dogs shed big time, and with carpet it takes a few times and a few hours to vacuum the shit up. Not to mention wearing the poor vacuum out. With the hardwood floors (yes I know laminent isnt hardwood, but I had hardwood before) the amount of time it takes to actually vacuum is less. Not to metion I have spring/fall hayfever. So carpet is bad bad bad for that. I dont want to trap the dust and crap, and with out buying a $1000 vacuum to suck up all the dust and crap, even then I dont think it does actually get all of it.

I would much rather have the tumble weeds form, and just run around sucking those up then fighting to get my huskys hair out of the carpet. :ph34r:
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

I would much rather have the tumble weeds form, and just run around sucking those up then fighting to get my husky's hair out of the carpet.

We sure think alike!

As I said I ripped out the living room carpet and put 'hard' flooring down...the house is cleaner, and gets clean easier than with carpet on the floor.

(Looks a lot better too)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Hey Eener,
I'm puttng down laminate myself these days. Pretty easy to work with and it really almost looks like you knew what you doing when you finish. Have fun.
Rainbo
TheSpeedTriple - Speed is everything
"Blessed are those who can give without remembering, and take without forgetting."

Eener!

My husband and I just helped my father lay the "snap in" laminate flooring that has the hardwood floor look to it. It was fairly easy.(I mostly got in the way so the guys did the work and I "supervised".) They finished an entire medium sized room in just a few hours (including moving and removing all the furniture in/out of place). My dad did the entire (large) living room by himself in a weekend.Its very easy to clean and looks beautiful..made the room look so much bigger and nicer than the carpet.They liked it so much they're planning on doing the kitchen next and maybe all the remaining carpeted areas of the whole house.

Make sure you have someone help you...makes life much easier.Hope that helps.:)

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

The fact that carpet traps dirt, dust and hair is exactly why I hate it. I've got allergies and I'd much rather see what I'm breathing in!

I've got all wood floors in my house and finished the basement with Costco's laminate flooring. It took me and a carpenter friend one day to do my whole basement, and another day to do all the trim around the baseboard. It looks great, its easy to maintain and it really wasn't that hard, especially if you are comfortable with power tools. I think I spent about $1,200.00 on the flooring itself, and I did have to pay for the professional help with the install but that's because a) I needed it done in a hurry and b) my SO and I would have killed each other if we attempted it together.

eeneR- If I were you, I'd work on bribing friends with food, tequila and whatever else you think will work. :P

eeneR- If I were you, I'd work on bribing friends with food, tequila and whatever else you think will work.

1 Tequila, 2 Tequila, 3 Tequila....FLOOR!

Oh wait...that isnt what they ment by that is it :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Actually this is something I would like to handle myself, though maybe help of one or two people. When I had my house, my ex and I did the entire basement floor (1100sf) in the industrial tile, glue and all. Wow that was a pain!

How many sf did the $1200 get ya?
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto