bombardier2

today`s VX

hi,
i have a question about VX openings, i have not been able to demo one so i cant see about the openings for myself.
i heard that the VX open briskly and sometimes quite hard, any truth to that? on the other hand some dudes told me the new ones open nice now. i would appreciate any feedback you could give me about how the new ones open if to compare to the
older ones ;)

I made 1 jump on a VX 80ish DOM was '04. I don't know if that is an old or a new but it opened pretty briskly. I know I personally would ignore the openings for that kind of performance though.

FWIW I read on here that some people think it is dependant on size and that the smaller ones (<99) open harder than the bigger ones (>99). But that is just what I read on here.
Na' Cho' Cheese

I had a VX 114 demo for a few months towards the end of 2006. It opened quite "brisk" no matter what I did. I'm trying to remember what the DOM was, but I think it was 2004-ish. Call it what you want, brisk, hard, solid, no matter what you call it you knew your canopy had definitely opened.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

not a bad thing, is it!?

i jump a sabre, a canopy known to have killed people on openings.. flake it, roll stabilizers, roll nose real tight, roll the back tight as well.. sounds like a malfunction waiting to happen, but so far it opened nicely.. :P

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

not a bad thing, is it!?

i jump a sabre, a canopy known to have killed people on openings.. flake it, roll stabilizers, roll nose real tight, roll the back tight as well.. sounds like a malfunction waiting to happen, but so far it opened nicely.. :P

I have never heard such contrary opinions about the right packing of a chute than I have heard from Sabre jumpers!

To me it seems that what works for one Jumper seems to kill the other. (hint: Do a search in the Forum).
Personally I wouldn't jump a canopy with such unpredictable openings...

Don't be a Lutz!

I can not talk about new VX's as I have a 1999 made one. I have a 109 and 98% of the time I get great opennings. I PRO pack it and roll the nose and for the most part get great results. I did notice that I have a very large slider and I jumped a later model 104 which had a considerably smaller slider than mine.
Kirk

For what it is worth, here is my experience with the VX:

Out of roughly 1000 jumps on a 86 (made in april 2004):

Half of those jumps were with vectran lines and the original line trim and the openings were consistently brisks as already said but I cannot recall having been properly slammed. It was always opening the same way, briskly but straight and predictable.

The others jumps were made with the line trim of the JVX (still vectran lines) and the openings are significantly softer on the average. Having said that, they are less consistant, less predictable. It's more often than not all over the place during the opening. I had a few solid openings but never been properly slammed neither *knock on wood*.

About older or newer vx, I have no information.

Hope that helps

S-P
===========================