garymccutchen

Best jumpsuit to help slow fall rate.

www.skimmersuits.com -- The "Big John", if you're seriously fast. I thought I was going to need one but we just went with a regular RW suit with puffy sleeves and Kim's booties are big (added drag and power). If the regular suit slowed me down, the Big John has got to be mega slowing.

Good luck! Fast fall rates blow but a custom suit will make a huge difference. You'll finally get to start flying naturally and concentraing on the dive vs. your fall rate and your confidence will skyrocket. Or at least it did for me.

a wind tunnel camp (with a pro-RW coach, not some oldtimer from the home DZ) will alway help with fallrate range too - dramatically

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Just throwing this out there . . .

I'm assuming your talking RW and not vRW but I'd say the same thing applies.

You might not be going low due to jumpsuit issues. You might be going low because lots of folks with 70 jumps go low. I did and I'm average size. It's sometimes more a case of not slowing down soon enough and/or not approaching formations by staying in what we used to call, "the cone of possibility."

What I mean is you can be well above a formation and already be low because you are on the wrong angle. In that case there is no way you can get there without winding up underneath it. This usually happens, and for good reason, because you are trying to be too conservative and your approach is too shallow.

The problem with throwing on a big jumpsuit now is you'll use it as a crutch. And sure some jumpers do need a bit more drag but it might be more the people you are jumping with now just aren’t falling fast enough so don’t make their problem your problem.

There was an idea years ago in skydiving akin to boxing. Heavyweights don’t get into the ring with featherweights. So find four guys your size and experience level, form a team, and you'll be turning and burning with the best of them in no time . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

As a fellow "Anvil Brother" I'm speaking to you from experience (6'6" 250#)... FliteSuit will make an RW suit that has a ten inch wing with ZP inside the wing. With swoop cords, flying in the mantis position, I can vary ny fall rate from 108 MPH to 125 MPH. Tony (tonysuits) made me an RW suit last year. He uses an eight inch wing, but runs the ZP 3/4ths of the way down the sleeve. With his suit, i can vary my fall rate (in the mantis) 113-126MPH. I can't speak to FF'ing as I don't do that much.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

a wind tunnel camp (with a pro-RW coach, not some oldtimer from the home DZ) will alway help with fallrate range too - dramatically

If you didn't say it, I was going to. Thanks Bill.
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

If you didn't say it, I was going to. Thanks Bill.

lots of posts about slowing down if he does a search - after learning to fly better, then he can effectively consider various suit options - some can't wait. that's ok too. it's their money.

I have opinions on that too.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2945121#2945121

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Looking for ideas for the best jumpsuit or manufacturer of jumpsuits for a heavier jumper. I am always going low, no matter how hard I try to correct it. I am new and have bought jumpsuits off of here, however I think I need to get one custom ordered. Thanks for any input

I say forget all the extra wing and swoop cords and I won't suggest that maybe you have some other problem.
I find it disconcerting that some are suggesting this type of gear considering your jump numbers. You are only asking for trouble using a swoop cord.
I would suggest you find a jumpsuit maker that will line the inside of the arms and lower legs of your new jumpsuit with zero p fabric and then line that with a more comfortable material that will be against your skin. Although it will be hot in the summer months there is nothing better to slow you down until you are ready for the zero p wings and swoop cords. (The swoop cords however are useless while freeflying) This is similar to what some of the tunnel guys are doing. Not only does it slow you down because it is layered and thick and flaps a lot less but the zero p lining creates a pressure differential that is similar to what makes a wing fly by not allowing air to flow through it but forces the air around it, albeit the effect is minimal.
I am 245 lbs out the door and fall very fast. With my jumpsuit I can match fall rate with my freefly partner that is 135 lbs.
Try TonySuits. That's what worked for me.