billabx

Reserve age limit

I'm trying to find some real information about the effect of age on reserve canopies. Recently my usual rigger told me they were not comfortable repacking my 25 year old Swift reserve due to it's age. While much of their argument against continuing to use it was based on advances in technology and design, they did make reference to their uncertainty about it's structural integrity based on it's age. I've owned this canopy since new and have had one or two subterminal rides on it. I've yet to be convinced that it is no longer safe to use. I'm not aware of any studies that have been done on fabric strength for materials that have not been exposed to UV or chemicals. I know there are arguments for new gear, but I'm really interested in facts over opinions. Thanks

have your rigger done a streach test? It might give you a hint on the fabric's integrity.

Here in norway we have the rule of 20 years or 20 rides, depends on what comes first. Based on our way of thinking, I'd say listen to your rigger.

Good luck.
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=search_results&search_forum=all&search_string=reserve%20age&sb=score&mh=25

Bill~

The topic has been discussed a few times here...

I'm with you, I have a couple of older G3 reserves from Strong that I have no question about jumping.

You just need to find a rigger that's 'comfortable' packing older reserves. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

There are no 'facts' that will apply to your situation. The are anecdotes, there are opinions, there are some manufacturer's statements and there are individual riggers decisions.

My opinion that you don't want. I packed an original swift up until the original owner retired from jumping about 4 years ago. But, every repack I was trying to convince him to get something else. I wouldn't pack one for anyone else then and won't pack one now. But that's my decision and opinion. Unless the manufacturer imposes a service life, and there is debate about whether they even can, there are only going to be opinions.

I have found a 1991 reserve with tissue paper fabric that tore at less than 5 lbs. It wasn't a Swift.

There are studies on the strength degredation of properly stored materials but if your specific lot of fabric wasn't studied it's only supporting data not difinative data. I don't have access to those studies. Also be aware that it is commonly accepted that the simple act of packing the canopy changes increases the porosity of the fabric. That's the basis of the PD recertification requirement.

I am sure that you can find a rigger that will pack it. It's up to your opinion whether you want to keep jumping it. Be sure that whatever rigger you use checks for the service bulletin on some of these canopies that were miscut and has the manual so they fully understand the brake system. It has stumped some newer riggers.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

No, PPPHHHHFFFTTTT.
Hey, I thought you where coming to SDC sometime this summer to visit Rainbo and I?
Slacker.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

As long as your 5-cell Swift has less than 180 pounds suspended under it, fewer than 20 deployments, fewer than 40 pack jobs, passes the PIA tensile test (the same as for round reserves suspected of having acid mesh) and was not mentioned in the "rib" Service Bulletin, go jump it.

Para-Fite never published a service life on Swift reserves.

As long as your 5-cell Swift has less than 180 pounds suspended under it, fewer than 20 deployments, fewer than 40 pack jobs, passes the PIA tensile test (the same as for round reserves suspected of having acid mesh) and was not mentioned in the "rib" Service Bulletin, go jump it.

Para-Fite never published a service life on Swift reserves.

What I hear you saying is that for you Swift service life is 20 jumps or 40 packs.

Also, if the service history of a PD reserve is unknown, I can send it back to PD for evaluation. Would Para-Flite do the same for a Swift?

Cheers,
Mark

I am saying that the life of a Swift reserve is ROUGHLY 20 deployments or 40 repacks.

Please do not take my word as gospel.

Para-Flite will not care if you send it back to the factory because they got out of the business of selling sport parachutes a decade or so ago.

As for sending un-documented PD reserves (i.e. missing a reserve packing data card) back to the factory for an inspection .... only if the canopy is really dirty or you have a couple of other reasons for refusing to repack it or you are really annuly retentive.

I guess that I am trying to make the subtle point that manufacturers' instructions are good guidelines, but they are not sacred.

I guess that I am trying to make the subtle point that manufacturers' instructions are good guidelines, but they are not sacred.

What would the courts think when you tell the FAA rep this?

Mark Klingelhoefer

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

IOW

If field riggers concentrate on keeping the basics straight, they will never get dragged into court.