Douva

What do you think of this sportcoat?

I'm not a big fan of trendy clothing and usually prefer to maintain a more traditional look. I've worn this sportcoat a few times and gotten some compliments on it, but Saturday night I wore it to a party with a couple of friends, and they razzed me non-stop about my "outdated" sports jacket. I don't put a lot of stock in their opinions, considering the clothes I was wearing cost about $500 more than both of their outfits combined, but I thought I'd better seek a few outside opinions. So what do you think?

EDITED: I've replaced the slouching up against a wall photo with this recent photo, in order to keep the discussion from getting further sidetracked into whether or not the coat fits.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

I'm not a big fan of trendy clothing and usually prefer to maintain a more traditional look. I've worn this sportcoat a few times and gotten some compliments on it, but Saturday night I wore it to a party with a couple of friends, and they razzed me non-stop about my "outdated" sports jacket. I don't put a lot of stock in their opinions, considering the clothes I was wearing cost about $500 more than both of their outfits combined, but I thought I'd better seek a few outside opinions. So what do you think?

I'm not one to judge whether it is outdated or not, but I don't care for it.

Walt

If its not jeans and a tee shirt I dont get it... sorry no help here...:(
Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone!

I like to start my day off with a little Ray of Soulshine™!!

WTF do I know? I still have my Nehru jacket in the closet.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

Dude, if you're gonna rock that, break out the member's only jacket while you are at it.

I also don't think you have the frame to wear that as casual wear.

It's kinda hangin on you. Can't tell if it's too big, or what.

|>.<|
Seriously, W.T.F. mate?

It's kinda hangin on you. Can't tell if it's too big, or what.

Too big on the shoulders, too short in the sleeve.

I figured that second picture was going get this response (weird body position), but those were the only two pictures of the coat I had handy. To clear up any confusion, I've taken a couple of pictures to show what it currently looks like on me. As you can see, it fits fine in the shoulders. I should probably have about a half inch let out in the sleeves (freakishly long arms), but I'm not too worried about that right now. What I'm concerned about is the International Council of Shopping Centers national convention in Vegas next week. Do you think I need a more contemporary coat before I head out to Sin City to wheel and deal with the big boys, or does this coat present the "young but mature and competent" look I'm shooting for?
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

What kind of firearm do you use to accessarize?

It depends on if it's a day event or a night event. I find this one to be a good all around choice. If I opt for the dress shirt and tie, rather than the mock turtle neck, I usually switch out the grips with the classier ivory ones. I used to go the nickel plated route, but now it seems like every guy at every party I go to has a nickel plated 1911, so it was starting to feel a little cliché. I noticed at a wedding a few months ago that a lot of guys are going with ankle holsters these days, but I just find that a bit too metro for my tastes. If I'm wearing jeans with the coat, I'll sometimes opt for the more casual revolver, but I think a semiautomatic is always called for in more formal settings.

What I'm concerned about is the International Council of Shopping Centers national convention in Vegas next week. Do you think I need a more contemporary coat before I head out to Sin City to wheel and deal with the big boys, or does this coat present the "young but mature and competent" look I'm shooting for?

Not a fan - I think it looks very very outdated, if its the "young but mature and competent" look then go and buy yourself a propper suit, or a more contemporary sports jacket.:)
Leeds University Skydiving Club
www.skydiveleeds.co.uk

does this coat present the "young but mature and competent" look I'm shooting for?

It makes you look like you're trying too hard. [:/] I agree with others who have suggested something new/different is in order. I'm not really up on men's fashion but it does look dated and not right for this time of year. I'd say get thee to a good store and get some advice on something a bit more classic and timeless.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

The sleeves are too long. They should break at the wrist or just slightly above to allow a slight amount of shirt cuff to show. All in all, it does look like you are wearing your big brother's jacket. Needs some tailoring. You are more slender and the jacket should be more conforming to your frame. Don't get rid of the jacket, yet. That style will come-back!

Chuck

It's definately time to update your style. You are so very handsom and you need something to accentuate your great features! That coat looks too big and bulky on you, you did look very nice at that wedding we went too, but remember how hot you were? (And when I say hot, I mean sweating like a whore in church hot) It's time to break out the plastic, and go shopping! I'll go with you if you want(just ask Jason, I am a fabulous fashion consultant). ;)

my body, my choice

and it looks itchy !!! Do you always take guns to parties?

It's definately, the weave of the wool fabric. A good worsted wool is really soft to the touch and not itchy. You make a good point... he looks more like a hit-man than anything!:D

Chuck

I think you should get something more like this from JC Penney. I know there are much more elegant brands out there, but they make good clothes at affordable prices. They will also tailor your clothes.

The reasons why I like it:

The silk blend is better for this time of year, especially a warm climate like Vegas.
The color has more of a Spring/Summer feel to it.
You can dress it up with dark slacks like in the picture or wear it with jeans.

As for your current look, I agree that the jacket needs to be more fitted, the sleves are too long and the shirt you are wearing with it is too severe.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I think you should get something more like this from JC Penney. I know there are much more elegant brands out there, but they make good clothes at affordable prices. They will also tailor your clothes.

That is better, but I think something compleatly different would look good - however I don't have any links to constructivly help, sorry:P
Leeds University Skydiving Club
www.skydiveleeds.co.uk