Icon134

Chili recipes...

So without delving into anybodies secret family recipes I've been experimenting over the past few months trying to develop a quality chili... which has actually been going pretty well...

does anyone have a chili recipe that I could try out.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Texas Beef Chili Recipe

TEXAS BEEF CHILI

2 lb beef chuck or shin, in 1/2" cubes
8 T olive oil
5 T med-hot chili powder
1 lb Spanish chorizo sausage, sliced 1/4" thick
3 medium onions, chopped
8 garlic cloves
1 T oregano, preferably Mexican, crumbled
2 tsp cumin, ground
2 tsp salt
1 tsp Fresh ground pepper
4 lb canned Italian plum tomatoes, drained and chopped
24 oz beer, Dos Equis or other Mexican beer
6 oz tomato paste

Toss meat with 3 T. olive oil and 2 T. chili powder in non-aluminum bowl. Let stand in refrigerator overnight.

Heat 3 T. oil in large, heavy skillet over med-hi heat. Brown the meat in batches (do not crowd) on all sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large pot, using slotted spoon. Add chorizo to skillet and brown well. Transfer to pot using slotted spoon. Reduce heat to med-lo. Add more oil to skillet, if necessary. Add onions and cook until translucent, about 10 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder,oregano, cumin, salt and pepper. Stir 3 minutes then transfer to pot. Stir in tomatoes, beer and tomato paste. Bring to a boil then reduce heat. Cover and simmer until meat is very tender, stirring occasionally, about 3 hours. Uncover during last hour if necessary to thicken liquid into sauce.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

If Karma and I can survive my mothers bean soup... I think we can survive your chili... :D

Though I suppose Karma is ultimate the one to suffer... personally I think my farts smell like roses... :D:D yeah right...

anyway... isn't that what they made beeno for?:P
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I have no recipe really......and i am a simple cook... the less the number of ingredients the better....

Ground beef cooked w/some garlic
canned tomatos w/green chili
chili powder
tomato sauce
pinto beans
lots of extra green chili... the hotter the better.....

put in crock pot on low.... i make about 2 lbs of ground beef and then freeze in individual containers... hubby loves it... the hotter the green chili the better....

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

I'm not home so I can't get the recipe for you, but there's a recipe in the New Basics Cookbook called "Hell's Kitchen Chili." Haven't made it in a while, but it's a yummy chili (and a proper chili... no beans, which I prefer anyway).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

My mother makes the best chilli i have ever eaten and not just because she's my mother.

But getting her recipe is very hard because she's a old country girl and when you ask here what she does you always here that, "well i just use a pinch of this and a dab of that" and when you ask how much a pinch or a dab is, she tells you she just does it to taste......her taste i guess.

I feel sorry for my sister because her husband will always ask my mom to make his chilli for him for his Chiefs Tailgate parties, and my sister always says, hell, i make it the same way mom does, i can make it for you.....to which he always reply's No Thanks.

Now my sister really does make it the same way, but she has to work all day and then take the kids to ball practice so when she makes chilli she has to do it in a hurry and let them eat it right afterwards. And everybody knows ya got to let chilli simmer for a few hours.

But to make things even worse for my sister, last week the Catholic church her family attends had their annual chilli cook-off championship and my brother-n-law talked my mom into entering her chilli.

Guess what.....she won first prize:)
So now i just know that the next time she tells her husband that she can make the tailgate chilli cause she makes it the same was, that he's gonna look at her and ask....."oh Yea, and just how many awards has your chilli won?"

I actually had to be with my mom and watch her make her chilli just so i could write it down and save it in my files.

I named the file, "Grandma's Chilli" But since she won first place, and it was at a Catholic church that has a 99% Mexican congregation, i have now had to change the name to "Grandma's Famous, Award Winning, Mexican Tested, Catholic Sanctioned Chilli":ph34r:

Thanks, she's really exited about it.

She got the $100.00 and my brother-n-law gets the stupid looking cowboy hat with all the names of the previous winners on it for one year.

Her chilli is kind of hard to explain because it also is kinda sweet and spicy at the same time, if ya know what i mean.

I still have a ton of her recipe's i have to get written down before she passes on because ya just can't beat a old country girl's cooking....and i definetly have to get down her Chicken and Homemade Dumplings. Their to die for.:)
She makes the weirdest things like Sugar Syrup with Butter and Hot Biscuts for breakfast and even Chocolate Gravy and Biscuts.

I'd bet there's not a lot of people who's ate that.

EDITED: because i don't spell worth shit. I know there is still things misspelled.

My mother is soooooo old school and also grew up so poor, (her mother died when she was 6 and as a young girl she even picked cotton to help out)
As a matter of fact she lived in what was called a tent house because it was a solid foundation with a tent erected on top of it , for about the first 14 years of her life.

I still have memories of her knuckles being so red from doing the wash on one of those old scrub boards, before she ever had a washer or dryer.
I get my mom every gadjet that comes out now even if neither one of us can figure out how it works, just so she'll have it.

Mom is the bomb as far as i'm concerned. And i'm not putting the young girls down, but they could all learn a few tricks from the old country girls.

I remember even when my mom always made her homemade pie's, Cocanut Cream, Banana Cream, and her specialty, Grahm Cracker Cream Pie, she never wasted even the extra dough from the crust. She would take it and put sugar and cinnanmon on it, roll it up like pinwheels and bake them.

They were even better than the pies, except the Grahm Cracker Cream pies.

1lb lean ground beef browned and drained
1 medium yellow onion chopped
8 oz canned mushrooms drained
2 cans ddark red kidney beans, drained
2 large cans of whole peeled stewed tomatos
1 qt v8 juice
1 larg container of tomato paste
1 packet of whatever chili mix happens to be on the wall at the store
Tobasco sauce to desired heat level
put everything except the tomato paste and v8 juice in a crock pot set for low and stew it for 4 hours (the onions will be cooked) add the v8 juice to thin it or add tomato paste to thicken or add them both (they both bring some new flavors to the chili)

good luck

J

Don´t belive the hype