TheAnvil

Evictions are Ticking me off

I'm a landlord in NYC. When tenants are late with rent, it is hard to pay the bills. To me, it is very simple, once you stop paying rent, you have to go. It is just like any other business transaction. Once you stop paying for a service, you are not entitled to that service anymore. We are no different than you car insurance, cable service or the bartender. Once the $$$ stop, paying, the goods and services stop. It seems more personal because some ends up in the street. The simple fact is 2 tennants not paying rent at the same time would put me very short for money. If it went on for a long period, I would need to look ways to raise the money. This is my business. Sad to say, I cannot afford charity.

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

I would be checking out WHY I am having this problem. Is the admissions policy to your apartments too lenient? Do you have a good credit checking policy? Can you do a police background search?
Do you check out previous landlords/ roommates?
The number one thing that used to impress me when I was renting to people was their CAR. Not type, age or expense, but how they took care of it.
I always walked them to their car, made comments on it, to make sure it was theirs. If it is clean and well cared for, they will probably be careful of their home as well. If it was a junk heap, I tore up the application as soon as I got back inside my shop.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

I use credit check as the only criteria. In NY, the tenant pays the real estate fees. I simply tell the agent if ANYTHING comes up on their credit report, don't bring them to see the apartment. Even with that, I have had two people fall behind. They all paid and went on to be good tenants.

The simple thing is your problems are not my problems. If you lose your job, get laid off, hours cut back, etc, etc, etc. That is not my business. My business is being a landlord.

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

My car's full of junk, school stuff, karate stuff, papers, skydiving gear. It's 8 years old and hasn't been washed in two years.

I've never, ever, not once been late on my rent. What you can't see is that my car has regular oil changes, brake maintenance, and tune-ups.

Part of the reason I don't have a new car is BECAUSE I pay my rent...oh...and I've always gotten most of my deposit back when I've moved out of an apartment.

The number one thing that used to impress me when I was renting to people was their CAR. Not type, age or expense, but how they took care of it.

I do the same thing. It's not what they drive, but how its maintained and cared for. If the back seats are filled with empty cig packs and fast food bags, then thats an indication they could do that in their home, too. Its not a rule, tho...I keep my car clean, but my bedroom's a disaster. So I also gauge personality, cleanliness, hygiene, and credit. I personally wouldn't rent a non-smoking apartment to a smoker. Smokers aren't evil...its just too much of an expense to repaint every time someone moves out to get the stench out. And since I include heat, a cracked window to vent a smoky room costs me $$.

I also give my tenants the same courtesy...lawn gets mowed regularily, plowing is as prompt as possible, repairs are made immediately, etc.

I think I'm putting in a new clause in my already long lease. An eviction clause where the renter agrees to pay me $1000 for an inconvenience fee if I have to evict their sorry ass for any reason. $1000 would buy a lot of tequila.

:S>:(

If they dont pay the rent according to the terms of the lease, what makes you think they will pay that fee?
__

My mighty steed

They won't pay it. I'll end up snagging it via garnishment. It will be more $$ for me eventually to offset my inconvenience and make the dirtbag remember me a bit longer.

My screening process is credit check and employment check. I think I might have to add prior landlords in too, but I'm not sure. Bad month for the business, but I guess that's part of it.

:)
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Its hard to believe that you don't ask for at least 1 prior housing reference at least.Every lease I've ever signed has required that.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

Evictions tick off the normally cheerful Vinny. What the hell is it with people who think it is ok to not pay their rent? Why do they think it's OK to steal? I've got two units now with either a bounced check or no check and I'm processing evictions and it's ticked me way the hell off. I hate ruining somebody's credit and throwing them on the street, but people who steal from me deserve it I suppose, and using my property without paying for it as agreed is stealing.

Anybody have a clue as to what goes on in the mind of these thieves?

I think I'm putting in a new clause in my already long lease. An eviction clause where the renter agrees to pay me $1000 for an inconvenience fee if I have to evict their sorry ass for any reason. $1000 would buy a lot of tequila.

:S>:(

There was a time when I had a broken back - no job and a "Pay as you go" physical therapist. Had it not been for my g-parents . . . I wouldn't have been able to pay rent.

Ask them what the hold up is - and then have them offer you proof - Not saying that their need outweighs yours, just maybe they need a little help for a while.

NOW - If it's that they just didn't want to pay - fuck-em - I'll get the rope and the zipties and we can go have us some fun. Don't forget the Patron.:ph34r:
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

-KingPin-

Landlady: "What is it about good sex that makes me have to crap? I guess it's all that pumpin'. Pump and dump.You really jarred something loose tiger.
You still owe me another months rent. So, if I were you, I would start doing some tongue exercises before friday."

BSBD
Home of the Alabama Gang

How about instead of them pating you $1000 for the hassel they can buy you a nice bottle of TO kill ya, and then you can drink to forget about them once they move their shit out.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Vinny,
Prior landlord references will not help. I try to be as general as possible on references. But not all landlords are going to extend the courtesy to you. They will tell you "they are good tennants and pay on time." When in reality they do not pay on time, are noisy, and dirty. They just want them out. Never ask the current landlord for the reference.

B