narcimund

One less nuke

I drove past that thing on a few occasions.

MAN those things are ugly! :P

They may be ugly, but we sure could use the electricity.[:/]

Why'd they shut that plant down?

Probably the same reason as all the others...1950's horror movies convinced the American public that radiation causes people to glow in the dark, grow a second and third head, etc, and Silkwood didn't help matters. The ignorance has propogated itself for decades without the nuclear industry doing much of anything to counter it, so there dwindles our most viable source of environmentally friendly energy. [:/]

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

With the way hyperboulic cooling towers work and there limited height (around 365ft) I would think that the turbulance around it would make for a very bad canopy ride!

This tower was 499 feet high. You can jump inside a tower (I don't know if this goes for this one) but if you can jump inside the tower you will have no turbulance. And if you have to jump outside it is still not a big deal for turbulance. Urban jumping is much more critical then that kind of jump. But like narcimund says, if there is nuclear stuff around a serious hazzard would be to get shot for trespasing... :)
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

PGE felt that to replaced the stainless steel pipes that were showing a hell of a lot of cracks all thru the plant it was smarter to shut it down than spending the money to replace most of them in the plant.

This is true.

The upshot is they got to spend many millions of ratepayers' dollars to convince voters to keep the plant open. Then two months later they shut it down to save money, i.e., to force ratepayers to pay for the unrecouped investment in the plant. Yes, that's right. The utility raised rates to generate the profit their power plant failed to earn.

And the only reason they got to do this was because the voters believed their political ads which said the plant was good for another 20 years and the region needed the electricity. They voted to keep it open which gave the utility the two months it needed to announce a shutdown.

It was an odd relief when Enron bought PGE years later. The ethics got better then if you can believe it.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Interesting. So far as I know the only person who jumped the Trojan cooling tower was Dwain Weston.

I may be mistaken, but there is a BASE jumping couple out of Seattle who has also jumped into it. But I could have my nuclear reactors all mixed up ... na how many nuclear reactors are there/were there in the PAC-NW.

Hey I was in that neck of the woods last weekend as I attended a swoop comp down at Skydive Oregon and I also got to spend some time in downtown Portland. I got to see some very interesting punk rockers, but despite what one of the fire fighters I was chilling with was telling me about Portland's homeless issues, I didn't see anything remotely close to what's going on here. But I only saw one small part of Portland within a short time frame. I will have to share notes with you on that town versus this one (Vancouver). But what does that all have to do with this thread? This is what happens when you're stuck at work on a holiday Monday when the weather is shitty outside and you're injured and can't jump for more than one reason ... back to work ... :)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I may be mistaken, but there is a BASE jumping couple out of Seattle who has also jumped into it. But I could have my nuclear reactors all mixed up ... na how many nuclear reactors are there/were there in the PAC-NW.

I know who you're talking about and you have your cooling towers confused. More I shan't say online ;)

homeless ... I didn't see anything remotely close to what's going on here.

The truly down-and-out population in Portland is a fraction of Vancouver's. I wouldn't speculate about homelessness because I can't tell by sight who has a place to live and who doesn't. But there's nothing like "Main & Hastings" in Portland.

I will have to share notes with you on that town versus this one (Vancouver). But what does that all have to do with this thread? This is what happens when you're stuck at work on a holiday Monday when the weather is shitty outside and you're injured and can't jump for more than one reason ... back to work ... :)

They're both great towns and similar too. Portland's like Vancouver before Vancouver grew up.

I know who you're talking about and you have your cooling towers confused. More I shan't say online

I was just about to say... SHHHHHHHHHHHH

BUt the video is pretty dayum kewl:)

Pssst.. you could always come visit us this weekend at NWSkydivers.. Mt Vernon WA....we are gonna be Partying at our new DZ.. just 50 miles south of the border:)

Pssst.. you could always come visit us this weekend at NWSkydivers.. Mt Vernon WA....we are gonna be Partying at our new DZ.. just 50 miles south of the border:)

Hmm... interesting. That's a possibility.

Another possibility is that we're going to Portland the following weekend. Might make a big combined trip out of it.

Another possibility is that we're going to Portland the following weekend. Might make a big combined trip out of it.

Someone (namely me) will be in town the following weekend (but not Memorial Day) ... if that has any bearing on your decision.;)

Perhaps more than you think. I know of at least one other with a very similar design to the one blown up this morning, and I live right next to an operating power station as well as a bunch of mothballed reactors, including a couple that never did operate... ;)

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)