karenmeal

Australian and Thai Recipes

I need to come up with some recipes for Australian and Thai food. My boyfriend and I are helping to make food for our friends' (surprise) wedding reception.

Anyone have some fairly easy to prepare dishes to represent either place?

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

My time in Australia I really didnt see a great recipie that was strictly Austrailian.
I had lots of seafood which was prepared wonderfully, some fast food here and there, and even some roo (not bad acutually)

so basically, I have nothing that will help you. :|:P
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Try Lemongrass chicken or Basil Beef

Basil Beef: thin strips of very lean beef prepared with ALOT of Basil,Nukmam, Garlic, and TONS of Black Pepper.

Caution Black Pepper freshly ground in these amounts can be VERY hot

Lemongrass chicken is just Lemongrass Garlic and whitepepper basically..Nukmam too.

Don't forget lots of sticky rice

Also you might want some chicken in red curry sauce or Satay.

If you want Aussie food try a whole roasted lamb on the Barbie:D

Thai curries are really easy to prepare.

You'll need: coconut milk (canned - usually available in the Asian foods section of the grocery store ... NOT the sweetened stuff you'd use to make pina coladas, though!)

Thai Curry Paste (red's usually fairly easy to find in grocery stores)

Fish oil

Whatever meat or vegetables strike your fancy.

Mix a small amount of the coconut milk with about a tablespoon of the curry paste in a pan (about 1 or 2 tablespoons per can is usually plenty hot enough). Mix together just so it gets smooth, then dump the rest of the coconut milk in.

Add some fish sauce (maybe a teaspoon), then add whatever meat and veggies you want (chicken is great, cut into chunks or slices, onion, zucchini, sweet bell peppers, potatoes, etc.).

Cook till everything's cooked through. Easy peasy.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I've got my own version of larb that I figured out.

Brown some ground beef, and drain about half of the fat. Add some minced garlic and onions and let those flavors come out.

Then add some red curry powder and some good chili powder, adjusting the chili powder for the intensity of the heat.

Mix it all up and then add juice from limes to it. Once it's ready, garnish it with red onion, cilantro and lime wedges - maybe even some mint leaves - and serve with some nice blocks of lettuce. It's pretty damned good.

Another one I figured out is my put together cersion of something I loved called "Kao Soi." It's a soup. Get some chunks of beef, chicken and cook them in a mixture of peanut oil and red curry paste (I like red curry). Add some garlic and some onions, some peppers, etc. Whatever you think will balance and adjust the flavor.

Add some coconut milk to the soup mix and get it heated up. Add some vegetables, like carrots, etc. The add some of those fried thin Thai noodles from the grocery store and cook until tender.

Serve it with some sticky rice and some pickled vegetables on the side, and it's good stuff.:)

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Shrimp on the bar-bie...bloomin' onion, and Aussie beer...for a start.

Bobbi

That would be the most UN AUSSIE feed you could make:D:D:D
We don't put shrimps on barbies,
the Bloomin Onion is an Outback Steal house thing it does not exsist in Australia
And Fosters is NOT Australian for beer, NO ONE here drinks that swill:D:D:D:D:D

We dont really have an Australian Cuisine, some of our foods like Croc, Roo and Emu are Native meats but otherwise we are a very multicultural nation when it come to food.
A meat Pie with tomato sauce is about as aussie as we get.:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Hi
if you arelucky these websites may point you to the US distriibutors of quality Australian Wine
www.houghton-wines.com.au (that ones for Squeak) www.penfolds.com.au
www.taylorswines.com.au
www.henschke.com.au (buy him a bottle of Grange or Hill of Grace and he will be your friend for life)
He may be a Bundaberg Rum fiend -
Anyway Australia (being the size of the US - excluding Alaska;)) is a large diverse country - and we do tend to have regional variations in our cuisine - how about asking him what favourite sorts of dishes he got at home - you may be suprised at what his mum cooked up - how about a pavlova for dessert - as close to traditional Ausise weding fare as you can get.

Well, I probably won't go asking him what his favorite aussie food is.. since it's a surprise reception.

I was thinking along the lines of meat pies or some sort of pastie or something. Oh.. and miserably cooked prawns.:P

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

It'd be really cool to order in some VB or something.. Even though it might not be great beer.. it seemed like that was all I drank over there. And Carlton's Draught and Bundi and Coke... hmmm..

It would seem awfully fitting to have the Australian part of the reception represented by the alcohol...

What about Pavlova!!!:)

The Pav is actually from New Zealand not Oz, we just stole it. We tend to do that with most decent things that come out of N_Zed:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

The Pav is actually from New Zealand not Oz, we just stole it. We tend to do that with most decent things that come out of N_Zed:D:D:D

I did know that but there is not a hell of a lot on offer. Bit like all the Aussie Stars;);)

I did know that but there is not a hell of a lot on offer. Bit like all the Aussie Stars;);)

Yup, so best if she only serves a few beers and a couple of dogs eyes with dead horse :ph34r:
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?