NewClearSports

Too Large PC - What can happen ?

I ordered a new PC a couple weeks ago because I had 2 mals in a row doing Hop & Pops. Because of this I requested a larger PC, but what I got was a huge f-111 32" PC.
Now it is great on Hop & Pop's, but the snach force is somthing feirce going terminal.

My question is What can happen jumping this thing terminal?

Hard Openings?
Line Dump or Bag Strip?
Damage to the Rig?
Damage to the main canopy?

Thanks for your input!
Mike

I ordered a new PC a couple weeks ago because I had 2 mals in a row doing Hop & Pops. Because of this I requested a larger PC, but what I got was a huge f-111 32" PC.
Now it is great on Hop & Pop's, but the snach force is somthing feirce going terminal.

My question is What can happen jumping this thing terminal?

I got 382 jumps with a 36" F1-11 kill-line PC on a Pilot 150.

Hard Openings?
No. ??? From PC???

Line Dump or Bag Strip?
No. ??? From PC?

Damage to the Rig?
No.

Damage to the main canopy?
No.

Don't worry to much.

BTW I have a 24" ZP kill-line Cazer PC on my Cobalt 135.

here is what I go by. never use a packer, use small bights when stowing the lines and don't dump right out the door (wait at least 8 seconds). I don't know about the PC but have read recently that a 28" F111 is the way to go for velos (and I assume jvxs). I have a 28" zp.

rm

I'm not positive,but I believe that Sunpath uses a 32 inch f111 pilot chute as standard equiptment on their rigs.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

It was actually my rigger (Also a very experienced BASE jumper) that recomended that I avoid terminal with this PC. This was because he was the 1st to test it, and was not happy with the opening. So far I've done a couple 10 sec. delays and I can agree it is just coming out too fast. Release the PC and instant Canopy above your head. Luckily it is an instant sniveling canopy, but what happens the 1st time it's packed sloppy?

It is also MUCH larger then what was on my Javelin before. (26" ZP)

I did a search and found where Bill Booth said the time from PC release to Canopy out of the bag should be 0.4 - 0.8 Sec. I know this is happening alot faster then that.

So basicly the PC is too big. I know this, but it is brand new and I just spent $180 with shipping on it and I don't want to just order another one.

So what I want to know is what can happen using a PC that is too large?

This rig is used primarily for Hop & Pop's but I would also form time to time like to jump with it from full altitude.

Again thanks for all your help.

You don't need to buy another pilot chute. Take that one back to your rigger, have him turn it inside out and sew another line of stithes about 1 inch inside the stitch line that sews the top half of the pilot chute to the bottom half. Now your 32" pilot chute is a 30"

It is an easy fix and if you don't like it you can undo it.

Dennis
D-2759

I didn't like my 28" PC, so I had a 33" one made up.

I've been extremely pleased with it.

I do 1-second delays from the 182, as well as terminal openings and it works great! - best PC I've ever had. I jump a Samurai, and it opens great every time (so far ;)).
With the exception of my locking stows, all the others are nice and loose too. (not that I advise this, but it works for me).

I ordered the 33 because I really didn't like to be able to feel each line stow come undone before I got to line stretch when dumping at terminal! The old 28" also gave me a couple hesitations on the shorter (I personally really like the insta-linestretch at terminal, and near-insta-stretch on sub terminal.

What kind of canopy do you jump?

It seems to me that if you have good line stows, and more importantly have the locking stows stowed correctly, the only thing that is going to happen is that you will have a shorter time between container opening and d-bag opening. Once the d-bag is off of the canopy the canopy should not inflate any faster, so your sloopy pack job thought would apply no matter the size of the pilot chute.

I would not worry too much about it.

Bill

have fun, love life, be nice to the humans