miss3sixty

freaky skydive dreams

Imagine how I felt when I got up to make a drink and switched on the TV to stop myself from thinking about it that what should be on the TV but a scare mongering documentary and this guys is doing his AFF level one, his parachute detaches on opening and then he only just opens his reserve to only then fly into POWER LINES!:o

That would be Scott Lutz. I believe that was on Maximum Exposure or one of those stupid TV shows that show bad things happening.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Imagine how I felt when I got up to make a drink and switched on the TV to stop myself from thinking about it that what should be on the TV but a scare mongering documentary and this guys is doing his AFF level one, his parachute detaches on opening and then he only just opens his reserve to only then fly into POWER LINES!:o

That wasnt mr scott lutz was it?
he was an idiot
watch the video again and you'll notice he pulls the cutaway instead of the ripcord (the instructor pulls the ripcord as he cuts away).

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

I guess it was and I have been told that by other people so i guess i need to watch it again.

However at the time of viewing I had only ever done a tandem so I had no idea what was going on just that this guy was not having a good day at all.

Did'nt Richard Branson do something a bit familiar...pull his cutaway as his instructor dumps him out?
Edit:- Sorry for drifting off the subject by the way!:S

This is Richard's qote, bless him

"About 15 or 20 years ago I pulled the wrong string when I went skydiving for the first time. I got rid of the parachute rather than opening it. It was not very clever, and I was declared "wally of the decade" by the skydiving federation."

I love the word 'string' !!!!!

If you go on www.skydivingmovies.com, you can see his AFF, priceless!

ANYWAY..
Keep me up to date with your fun and games bananagirl.
(yesterday, I went to pull and found my pilot chute had come right out, so I just grabbed the bag and threw it as far out to the side as I could. the opening was fine but my chest strap was accross my neck and there was a massive gap above each shoulder (must have had the leg straps too loose)
I have downsized to a 210 and hope to jump the 170 soon x
Miss3sixty

Skydiving- it has its ups and downs

Yes I have seen it....the music is the funniest bit...."see that virgin skydiver spinnin around, c'mon fells help him out" or something like that.

If it was'nt so scary it would actually be REALLY funny..oh wait, it was :S really funny. I used up a whole box of tissues wiping the tears away.

As for your episode....

Holy cow dude! Scary. But well done for getting it sorted.B|

I'll definately keep in touch ....I am testing a potential new rig this weekend ....can't wait. I will let you know how it goes.

Lets hope I have no freaky dreams about that then.B|

I only remember having skydiving dreams one night, but it was a weird night filled with streamers.

I started out the evening jumping belly mounted reserves, often having to pull them back in and throw them out again. I never saw an open canopy over my head and never had an impact, just moved straight to the next exit. They were lucid dreams, so I kept on trying to do whatever I could to keep from having another streamer. I progressed to more modern gear throughout the night, and started getting really tired of all of these malfunctions. So after yet another nice streamer I sighed, sat down on a cloud, disconnected the main, opened up the reserve and laid it out and then BASEd off of the cloud. I finally had a good canopy over my head, and the dreams ended.

Weird.

I blame my dreams last night entirely on this thread. I've had them before but never this messed up.

We were riding to altitude in some kind of plane that didn't have a roof on the cargo area. Sorta like the space shuttle bay but with no sides. There are only three of us and I'm the only one with a rig, but I haven't put it on yet.

A warning light goes off and we decide it's time to bail so i grab my rig but accidentally deploy the main. As the bag flies around the corner of the plane I think about just jumping anyway and putting it on in freefall.

Thats obviously a bad idea so i decide to cut it away and jump with the reserve. My rig has an RSL so i reach for the tab to disconnect it. Time slowed down in my dream so I had plenty of time to find the tab. The second I yank on the connector it magically turns into the reserve handle. Now the main is gone and the reserve is about to fly out into the slipstream.

At this point I can either jump and try to hang onto the rig or go down with the plane. Like any good skydiver would, I decide to jump. Right as I get drug off the edge i think to myselft, "Man this story is going to be even better than Airtwardo's." I managed to hang onto the leg straps during opening and somehow fly the canopy to a safe but hard landing.

That's definitely the weirdest one I've had, but at least I lived this time.B|

--------------------------------------------------
Stay positive and love your life.

I've had this one several times:

I'm in freefall doing a large RW formation. Break off comes, and I watch every one track away. I look down at the ground, and don't pull (...don't know why). I then land, just like I jumped off the bed. and walk away.
We are all engines of karma

I've had the landing dreams too... about three that I recall. Always involves a total mal but I'm going in slooow and for some reason I'm flaring, falaring what? I've got not canopy out..... I've also bounced and gotten up and walked away....like no big deal.... I'm usually very tired after those dreams. Also I have had dreams that I'm gearing up and just can't quite seem to get ready in time for the plane and I'm running for the plane without my straps tightened or no chest strap or usually some b.s. that I cant get on the load...... man I always wondered if it was just me having these dreams... interesting posts guys!
-Bill

******Today is one day too late.********

Reading your link was kinda freaky, you actually dreamt my mal! :o

Have the dreams of being in freefall and feeling pretty happy. Not 'gone in' yet but have had a few vivid mal dreams, hear the clinking as three rings release then jolt myself awake like when you fall off a chair in your sleep. Gets the heart rate going.:P

Yep. I have skydiving dreams. Generally, it is the same recurring dream where I deploy my parachute and it falls below me like a rock. Then, I use the old belly mount reserve emergency procedures when it doesn't inflate. I try to shake it out and then end up reeling it in and throwing it out again. It always deploys just prior to impact and after I land I always promise myself that I'll get a new ride as everyone on the DZ is busting my chops. I've had that same dream for many years.