Radioshack

Firelite vs Raven (reserves)

Ok here is the deal, I have two reserves and am wondering which I should keep, one is a firelite 176 (manf 7ish) and the other is a raven (g) I, manf(95)... I am looking to put one of these into my mirage m4, and maybe sale the other one, if I can't find a use for it.

Any suggestions about which one is a "keeper"

Thanks!

Then why are you jumping a PD reserve loaded more than that since it's an old design also . Seen many a firelites loaded at 1.6 and higher that flew and landed just perfect . I have a half a dozen rides on the test rig that I jump loaded atleast 1.3 again with perfect landings . But since it's not PD it's an inferior design . I have jumped both of these reserves and would say the biggest difference is you can't sink the raven as well for a deep brake landing . I do work for Red at Flight Concepts from time to time so some might think I favor his products . I think all the manufacturers make some great products but not a single one makes the perfect chute for everyone . There's your unbiased opinion . Joe Bennett

I have two reserves and am wondering which I should keep,

Any suggestions about which one is a "keeper"

I'd pack each one as a main and test jump it (I can feel the flames now). If there's any difference in landing, it should be obvious. If not, consider which one has fewer repacks (not necessarily newer) and what color is better--really. A bright solid color that is unmistakably a reserve might be an advantage during a dual deployment or just so others will know you've had a mal. A fabric color that contrasts well with the thread is easier to inspect. Also in extreme cases, a lighter color may pack a little smaller. Speaking of which, I'd also consider pack volume. Does either one of these pack smaller and fit better in your container? That may be a consideration also.

BTW, I jumped a Micro Raven 150 loaded above 1.2/1 and find that it lands quite well. I've also landed a Raven I (g) loaded at 1/1 and it feel huge in flight and landing.

Personally, I wouldn't load any pre-1990 F111 canopy over 1.0. They weren't built to handle it. But I am assuming that "manf 7ish" means pre-1990.

Nor would I recommend that anybody with the OP's jump numbers load any reserve over about 1.0. Reserves should be sized for worst case scenarios - sunset into someone's backyard, not midday landing in the main landing area.

As for Super Ravens, sure they "can" be landed just fine at higher wingloadings, but it takes skill. Seem far too many people who don't have the skill and several who do have the skill stall them on landing. Tailbones are precious, I see no need to bust one on landing.

imho, of course. YMMV.

The last time I spoke with Chris - at Precision - he admitted that Ravens flare poorly when loaded at 1.4 pounds per square foot.
Then he gave me the sales pitch about why R-Max reserves were so much better.
Later that same year, I deployed an R-Max 118 and was pleasantly surprised at how well it flew.

Advising any junior jumper to exceed 1.0 pound per square foot is foolish.

Yeah the raven is manf in 1995, and the firelite in 1987... (missed the 8 there) :-)

I weigh about 160 pounds, both seem in great cond. Raven is white, and firelite is light blue.

I have a mirage m4 container and it says that it can hold a raven (g) I. And it looks to me like the lines on the firelite are a lot thicker (double that of the raven)