jwilkinson

1st time under canopy solo

Ok, Ive got over the fear of exiting, cant stop dreaming about my next freefall, need some help understanding what it is going to feel like being under canopy solo for the first time. I suppose that I am having concerns about spotting the DZ and then getting to it. Any thoughts of your first time would be great.

J

Did you do tandems previously?

Im doing AFF. I was SHITTING it about my first solo canopy flight. It was a little disorientating after i dumped and checked canopy, trying to work out where i was, but the Target Assistant on the radio talked me through it and prior to getting up there, id been through flight planning. Surprising how much one remembers under pressure.

During flight planning, they should have you looking at aerial photos of the DZ, landmarks to look out for etc, they will also ask you to draw out the flight plan,based on current wind conditions so you will know where you will exit, open and land. They will also run through landing circuits with you.

When your in the plane, the pilot will probably do a quick circle around the DZ and ther instrctors will point out land features to held locate the DZ.

I did it under TA 3 times, im now landing myself unassisted. Student canopys are reasonably slow, and weather conditions for students are usually always good, so no worries.

They will keep you on TA until your comfortable, and even once you start landing yourself, the TA will be there as backup in case you do something not quite right.

Theres my 2 cents, but i am by no means an expert!

Have fun and enjoy!
FW

Yeah, i did two tandoms this past tuesday. After the first I had to go up again. I hope that I can start my solo training soon. My wife saw of much fun my friends and I were having so now she wants to go so it should be pretty soon. My dz is almost three hours away so it takes a good bit of planning to find time. Thanks for your 2 cents.

J

CONGRATS.
ON MY FIRST I HAD SO MUCH ON MY MIND THAT IN FREEFALL I DID NOT EVEN SEE THE DZ.
WHEN I WAS UNDER CANOPY IT TOOK ME A COUPLE OF SECONDS TO FIND IT.LISTEN TO YOUR INSTRUCTOR.THATS HOW I FOUND IT. HE TOLD ME TO LOOK AT HORIZON THEN STRAIGHT DOWNTO YOUR FEET IF YOU DON'T FIND IT TURN 45 AND DO IT AGAIN.IT HELPED ME FIND IT IN SECONDS. THEN I STARTED FINDING IT BEFORE I GET OUT OF THE PLANE.:)

Congrats!! :)You are going to be fine no doubt. I just got off student status (I did tandem progression to AFF as well).. and like some others have said... they put me out right over the end of the airport so it wasnt hard to find. Plus I also had someone talking me down. My first two landings I touched down and fell over... but Ive got the hang of it now.
Like was said... you will be amazed at how much you know and just comes natural once you are up there.
HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!
MB# 4012

My first time under a canopy solo was one of the most empowering experiences of my life. When I first opened, I looked down and saw nothing that looked remotely like an airport, so I got really scared. Then I remembered to turn around and look behind me. DUH!!! There it was. I landed like I was sliding in to home plate, but everyone was so proud for me that I didn't care.

You'll love it. Don't be afraid. Student canopies are very very forgiving. Just relax and enjoy the view.
PMS#529

Just remember that if you look all around you and still can't find the dz... don't forget to look straight down... (cause it could be directly underneath you... :D)

I'm sure everything will be fine... personally I've never been under a canopy in any manner other then by myself... in fact the concept of being under a canopy with someone else (i.e. tandem) seems a little frightening to me... :P:D
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

My dropzone is less than 5 miles away from where I grew up, so finding the airport was VERY easy for me. But being under the canopy, I managed to scare the shit out of myself. I was told the only way to get comfortable with the canopy is to play with it a little, so after my control check and everything, I started just seeing what everything did. I pulled the toggle down to about my waist, and went into a nice spin that made me scream the entire way thru. Ever since though, thats how I like to burn altitude when I am in the holding area. Its just unbelieveable when your the one in control up there. Damn it... I need to jump again soon!

A man will do anything for the right woman,
and when that woman destroys him,
that man will become a hunk of meat with the common sense of a rodeo clown! ~ Christopher Titus

Do what I did...

....I just watched hundreds of landings on skydivingmovies.com

NO, really, it works!!!

JUST KIDDING!!!! My AFFI made us walk out to the DZ and watch the other jumpers land. We watched them from the time they opened to the time they landed. It helped alot. Especially watching the ones that flared to high.

Go and watch!!! Good Luck!

Blue Skies
"Don't keep your pilot chute a secret"

I'm writing this not to scare you but encourage you. I also did 2 tandems before I started AFF. On my first AFF jump, my radio failed and I quickly realized I was on my own. My classroom training kicked in immediately and I had a very successful ride down. I even landed within 50 yards of the target. That jump gave me a ton of confidence.

Best of luck and enjoy the view!

Chris

Your instructor should give you all the briefing you need and be able to put you at ease. But in my experience...

It's easy to talk yourself out of being able to see the landing area. The key if you don't spot it right away is to relax, and look again! It's unlikely that as a student (and jumping in relatively light winds) it will be far from you when your canopy opens. One of the most common places to 'lose' the DZ is indeed directly under your feet :)
Study your DZ photo and familiarise yourself with what it looks like from different angles. By definition it will probably have a highly visible landmark, i.e the runway!

Also, make sure you know which direction the jump run is and where your instructor intends to put you out. The sun is often a useful reference to orientate yourself after opening - for example, if you know that it should be over your left shoulder for you to be facing the dropzone.

Have fun!

my radio failed and I quickly realized I was on my own

Those are scary times. That happened to me on my 3rd AFF, radio was on the wrong freq. My instructor kept trying to get me to do things to tell if I could hear him [turns, flares, etc] but I couldnt. I had my first stand up landing that day. It was scary at first, but you never forget what you learn in that classroom.

A man will do anything for the right woman,
and when that woman destroys him,
that man will become a hunk of meat with the common sense of a rodeo clown! ~ Christopher Titus