mdrejhon

Rainbow Boogie 2006 -- World's First Gay Day at a Skydiving Dropzone (Montreal, July 28-31)

[:/] Unbelievable, gay people are having their own boogie. [:/]

Next thing you know, they'll be asking for the right to vote. :|

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Good luck. I think you should do a drag-way. :)
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Maybe this Boogie will be the first time I get to wear my new Spandex Spiderman suit. Or maybe not! I do however have a question. If I register does that mean I have to go? I want to go but I am not sure if I can get the time off work. So I am hesitant to register becuase I might not end up making it. [:/] also will this weekend be an in your face weekend. Like non stop gay remarks and gay references. Gay Jokes ETC Or will it jsut be a fun weekend. with jumping and everyone being kind and sharing jumping together? I can handle some gay stuff. But an entire weekend of none stop Gayness might get a little boring for the average Straight person. I just want this Boogie to ROCK and for everyone to have a blast jumping and partying.and getting to know eachother.

The gay BASE jumpers I know have never done drag... I think our former friend set the record for that one. :-)

And then there's Vic... ;-)

-=Raistlin
find / -name jumpers -print; cat jumpers $USER > manifest; cd /dev/airplane; more altitude; make jump; cd /pub; more beer;

also will this weekend be an in your face weekend. Like non stop gay remarks and gay references.

I believe all gay remarks and references will be confined to the official Gay Camp Booth after jumping is complete for the day.

Non-sexual remarks and finger snapping will also be allowed in common boogie areas after three beers have been consumed, but only if a general vote of the attendees shows 66% are in favor.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

also will this weekend be an in your face weekend. Like non stop gay remarks and gay references.

I believe all gay remarks and references will be confined to the official Gay Camp Booth after jumping is complete for the day.

Non-sexual remarks and finger snapping will also be allowed in common boogie areas after three beers have been consumed, but only if a general vote of
the attendees shows 66% are in favor.

make sens. I do think that this be a gay event, people attending should expect somekind of "gayness" during the day. But then again, all depends who will be there and how they usually are in their normal "out life". Of course, if only "queens" are coming to the event...expect some crying after a bad jump! :P
-------------------------------------------------
"Life is much too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it."
-- Oscar Wilde

Maybe this Boogie will be the first time I get to wear my new Spandex Spiderman suit. Or maybe not! I do however have a question. If I register does that mean I have to go? I want to go but I am not sure if I can get the time off work.

Everybody who's "interested" or "not sure" should register anyway. Rainbow Boogie 2006 Registration.

The spandex spiderman suit would be more fun than a barrel of skymonkeys, and would make excellent photos. I've seen a spiderman skydiving suit at Florida Skydiving Center (a videographer there wears a spiderman suit, and he filmed us during Deaf World Record attempts, which I participated in).

For Rainbow Boogie 2006, there are all kinds of people attending, straights, gays, bisexuals, lesbians, including supporters. You'd fit right in, no problem. I'd expect there will be subgroups of various interests, just like how a mixed party may split into or a mixed bar setting. CRWdogs, freefly freaks, RW bellyfloppers and bellyflyers, young and old, self-confessed "fag hags" (in a nice way), and a Plane Load Organizer that's "one of us". No doubt, after the Beer Light turns on, some will joke around crazily, but others would hang out with people who joke around less. Others will leave the dropzone to take part of Pride festivities. There are also Nouvel-Air regulars who will just have to blend right in. So we are certainly expecting enough people to fill multiple simultaneous planeloads. If one person scares you with queer jokes, just scurry a few feet away to another cool more laid-back person to hang out with. It looks like we have all flavours attending.

At the worst, full Twin Otter planeloads is no problem for Rainbow Boogie 2006 and I expect some of the extra planes will have to fly too. If Nouvel-Air does a good job marketing very well for tandems, the dropzone could be packed with both experienceds and tandems and regulars and there would be back-to-back loads like at a real busy boogie.
At the most hectic, it is possible Nouvel-Air will be scrambling all their pilots on all 4 jump planes for back-to-back loads with no propeller cut.

We've had amazing interest for Rainbow Boogie 2006. Before the Internet, people like us in other cities couldn't easily network. There are many of us widely dispersed all over the world, sometimes being the only "queer" one at our dropzones or not willing to come out because skydiving has had a "macho" rereputation in the past and wasn't conductive to such a boogie until today. The Internet as well as Canada's hospitality, now make it possible to easily co-ordinate such a first-of-a-kind official DZ-sanctioned boogie that's big enough to saturate their jump planes. There's even one in Moscow (who might come), there's two from New Zealand (of one who is already booking a ticket), and multiple from UK (of which one is definitely booking, and two others are considering booking). Dozens have expressed interest (with answers ranging from "interested" to "yes") from either USA or Canada, or expressed interest in attending. And other countries that slips my mind at this time.

PS -- It is a good idea to come one or two days early if you'd like, when it is a little less busy, to get to know people before things get crowded and people come-and-go for the OutGames/Pride celebrations (Montreal Pride parade is at sunset on Sunday July 30th!).

I'll be there all day July 27th, probably arriving late the 26th to setup camp. I know some of you are already coming 1 or 2 days early. It will be much more quiet on Thursday June 27th, and this gives you more time to get to know people better (including the organizers, etc)

Excellent suggestion. Air fares are much cheaper to VT.

Attention JetBlue ticket holders! (mimic intercom speaker) ;)

I have a carpool vounteer who said he is willing to pick up through Vermont and New Hampshire. (up to car capacity, of course) on his way to Rainbow Boogie 2006. This includes the Burlington airport that JetBlue serves!

If you plan to fly JetBlue, please let me know. I will confirm a specific preferred arrival date, and I will hook you up to him (contact information), so that your 65 mile ride from Vermont to the dropzone can be accomodated. Contact me through the website or at [email protected] if you need me to co-ordinate your carpooling.

He might ask to reimburse maybe one jump ticket for the gas costs, but that's a good deal if you save a lot of money flying JetBlue from the west coast!

For people in UK, I found prices are cheaper through Air Canada and Zoom Airlines than with British Airways. You can get prices as low as ~£250 or thereabouts, and maybe if you catch a fare sale, just maybe as low as £199 (not including taxes) from UK for a nonstop flight from London to Montreal. Taxes are expensive though, no matter who you fly with though, but every little bit helps! Hopefully people from UK can catch a good price between now and boogie time.

Mark

You're just beautiful putting this boogie together and the website is really good.

Kyrsten is a real good load organizer who has been on several National 4-way teams. There is another out skydiver that jumped at Spaceland but I don't know if he lives in the Houston area anymore. All I know is that he is a Lear Jet 45 Pilot and has been flying since he was about 16 and has been jumping for about as long.

Chris

There are many of us widely dispersed all over the world, sometimes being the only "queer" one at our dropzones or not willing to come out because skydiving has had a "macho" rereputation in the past and wasn't conductive to such a boogie until today. .

Soo true honey, just like some of the big name football (and soccer) stars out there still scared to out themselves, the more I read the more I'm so pissed I won't make it this year but well done to Mark for setting this all up and a brilliant website, have a blast xx
Blue ones, Neil

Hey Yall. Um So I jsut got off the phone with Gregory Douglass's Manager. For those who dont know him he is a Gay song writer Very awsome If I may say so myself. Go here http://www.gregorydouglass.com/ for more info Also check out his song hard on there is soo good. He will talk to Gregory and see if he wants to come up and put on a gig for us. His music is much like Dave Matthews, Coldplay type stuff. Very Soft and fun. His Manager said he would most likely love to come up for this boogie and have a blast. Also maybe we could somehow get him up and skydiving! well go get on the site look him up and listen to his songs and write back and let me know if you want me to pursue this more and bring him up.