mdrejhon

Rainbow Boogie 2006 -- World's First Gay Day at a Skydiving Dropzone (Montreal, July 28-31)

Without further ado, as one of the organizers, I've now finally publicly announced the event.

This Bonfire thread is for any other discussion that might not belong in the other thread in the "Events & Places to Jump" thread. Please, no "Speaker Corner" material, I obtained permission from a greenie to announce the boogie -- and they did say they will watch for any posts that might get out of hand.

Summary: There's a Twin Otter an 3 Beench 18's. People are already booking tickets to fly in (including a New Zealander), and I already have a Load Organizer tentatively attending from Skydive Spaceland, as well as more than one sponsor have expressed an interest in the event! We already have almost enough attendees to fill a Twin Otter already, and that's without having started advertising yet (ie magazines etc)!

My Announcement in Events & Places to Jump:

Rainbow Boogie 2006 -- Montreal, July 28-31 -- World's First Gay Day at a Skydiving Dropzone!

WHO: Everyone is invited - all gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered skydivers, and their straight friends!
WHEN: July 28-31st, 2006
WHERE: Montréal
OFFICIAL SITE: www.RainbowBoogie.com

hey, look up Kramer he's a hershey jokey...damn whats the world coming to. you guys/girls thats lesbians and homos should hold the event in NC or Alabama:D:D
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

you guys/girls thats lesbians and homos should hold the event in NC or Alabama

I think that Alabama was an early choice...but soooo many locals expressed an interest that it became obvious that no local DZ could provide enough capacity. B|
Owned by Remi #?

hey, look up Kramer he's a hershey jokey...damn whats the world coming to. you guys/girls thats lesbians and homos should hold the event in NC or Alabama:D:D

We are going to make this an annual event. Rainbow Boogie 2007 maybe.

For 2006, we talked about the host city for many months. For the Rainbow Boogie 2006, we chose between Chicago, San Francisco, and Montreal. Montreal won by default because Nouvel-Air was the only dropzone we contacted that said they would be happy to host the event.

We are getting posters printed in about a month. If you want posters for your dropzone, contact me through the RainbowSkydive.com website.

Hey Mark,

you may want to ammend the location... Saying its Montreal is kinda vague wrt the dropzone itself.

Nouvel Air in in Farnham, about 45 min. SE from Montreal.

Have fun with it!

EDIT: never mind! I see that your event post has the DZ on it!:)
Remster

Thats cool your doing this but what attendance are you expecting. I know canda is a little liberal is that why your holding it there
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

True, I agree, but foreigners don't know where the hell Farnham is. Montreal is the nearest familiar city and the nearest international airport ;), airport code YUL. Sometimes there are great airfare deals to that city, if you wait for the right time. Flying into Boston or Toronto is also a possibility if you save enough money to be able to rent a car, if you don't mind a 5 hour drive from either city.

There are a couple of people looking for carpool buddies - people who can't afford to fly, may be able to drive. I know someone in Ohio is looking for a roadtrip buddy to come to the event.

Montreal is near the U.S. border:
5 hour drive from Boston
5.5 hour drive from Toronto
7 hour drive from New York City
6 hour drive from Rochester
16 hour drive from Chicago

I'm going to move my response from the Event thread over here ... seems more appropriate.

Rock on - I think it's a great idea and I'd love to be able to support an event like this (makes me sad that you had to include that last line as a caveat).

It's perilously close to Lost Prairie timeframe for me to work it into my boogie schedule, but if I'm working in the midwest or east coast at the time, I might be able to swing it since it'll be a quicker flight.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Thats cool your doing this but what attendance are you expecting. I know canda is a little liberal is that why your holding it there

We are attempting to get 50 experienced skydivers to show up. We even already have almost that many "interested" (almost 50), but currently only 15 are able to clear their schedule and book airfare. Almost enough to fill a Twin Otter, but this number is rapidly increasing. Several people are not members of dropzone.com. And we will have advertisements in magazines within the next two months. Keep tuned. I've got a great friends with good contacts in the industry.

Plus well over a hundred tandems (mostly locals). Nouvel-Air will recruit a lot of tandems by having a booth at the OutGames (a gay olympics event in Montreal - www.montreal2006.org). The Montreal pride parade (one of the world's biggest pride parade; bigger than San Francisco) is on the weekend after the boogie, so it's a good idea to make it an extended vacation.

The OutGames being there and the DZ'z welcoming attitude combined to make this the choice.
Owned by Remi #?

The OutGames being there and the DZ'z welcoming attitude combined to make this the choice.

Don't forget Montreal Pride Week and Montreal Pride Parade!

That's about million attending the city combined for all events combined in such a short time period, and we can easily find a few skydivers out of that bunch.

The dropzone is looking into a shuttle back and fourth between the dropzone and Montreal, so we can all enjoy Montreal nightlife as needed, and partake in OutGames.