wingnut

motorcycle ( or auto) mechanic- HELP ME please

okay so i have this motorcycle, and i took the crankcase cover (cc cover) off to change out the stator ( sort of like a bike's alternator) and now i have to put the CC cover back on but i need a gasket. well my dumb ass ordered the wrong gasket i got the right side instead of the left, so my qusetion is.... can i use liquid gasket sealer stuff (RTV) to make my own gasket for the CC cover or am i better off just waiting a week and a half for the gasket to come in? onlything i'm worried about is that the gasket is what keeps all the oil from leaking out between the cranck case and the cover.. didn't know if rtv would be up to the challange.. well i'm off to get some 20w40 oil for when i do get the gasket and to pick up some rtv anyways to seal something else, i'l check back when get back from the store .... hopefully one of you guys ( or gals) will have a good answer for me.....

RTV could work for a little bit. Use the RTV untill the part comes in if you need to drive the motorcycly. If it isn't criticle wait for the part
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Get the gasket - The cases may have been machined with the gasket thickness in mind, and usuing the RTV solution may put the bearings or something in a bind, and eat them up. Could be costly, even fatal (to the engine, anyways-)

Easy Does It

Get the gasket - The cases may have been machined with the gasket thickness in mind, and usuing the RTV solution may put the bearings or something in a bind, and eat them up. Could be costly, even fatal (to the engine, anyways-)

do it right or don't do it at all..

wait for the gasket.

Order from Summit Racing. I bet you'll get it in less than 2 days.

i could if i needed a gasket for a car...... unfortunatly this is for a 85 yamaha virago 700......

do it right or don't do it at all..

Ya got that right - !!

I'm in charge of making sure all the equipment in our plant is running smooth - If it breaks down it affects our bottom line. the welfare of the company and ultimately the my job and my paycheck - but not to digress -

In this case, a few bucks saved now could cost many more down the road - Or worse if the engine or ??? decides to go through some major failure.

Easy Does It