TOOL - 10,000 days

...been waiting on this for YEARS now.

i looooooooooooove tool.

tool.

toool.

TOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLL.:ph34r:

:|

:D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

i'm gonna have to agree with hex that maynard is sounding a bit different. not as much "mmmmm" like i love in aenima it's sounding a bit more angry in a not so calm and calculated sorta way.

listening to vicarious now. there is definitely a mix of EVERYTHING tool in this - including huge sections that sound like the perfect circle side of maynard. the beginning sounds a crazy bit like pearl jam so it threw me off for a sec.

i'm looking forward to hearing the album/cd/whatever-you-wanna-call-it in its entirety.

bring it ON.

edited to add some concert dates (from their website):

Here are the dates for some smaller venue shows in the US and Canada before the band leaves for Europe:

SUN-APR-30 INDIO, CA/ COACHELLA FESTIVAL
TUE-MAY-02 SEATTLE/ PARAMOUNT THEATRE
THU-MAY-04 OAKLAND/ PARAMOUNT THEATRE
FRI-MAY-05 LAS VEGAS/ THE JOINT
SAT-MAY-06 PHOENIX/ GAMMAGE HALL
MON-MAY-08 DALLAS/ McFARLIN AUDITORIUM
WED-MAY-10 DENVER/ TEMPLE BUELL THEATRE
THU-MAY-11 KANSAS CITY/ MEMORIAL HALL
FRI-MAY-12 MINNEAPOLIS/ ORPHEUM THEATRE
SAT-MAY-13 CHICAGO/ AUDITORIUM THEATRE
MON-MAY-15 DETROIT/ FOX THEATRE
TUE-MAY-16 TORONTO/ HUMMINGBIRD THEATRE
THU-MAY-17 PHILADELPHIA/ TOWER THEATRE
FRI-MAY-19 NEW YORK/ CITY CENTER
SAT-MAY-20 NEW YORK/ CITY CENTER
SUN-MAY-21 BOSTON/ WANG CENTRE

Heard it, liked it!

I heard Yardhippie is going to buy me tickets when they come to the ATL :D

Is it just me or did we already see that show? Remember? :o:D
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

I'll be the first to admit that when I first heard Vicarious I thought it sounded basically like a Lateralus B side. Unlike other comments in this thread, I thought Maynard's different style was the best thing about the new track, as it was the only thing that seemed new or innovative.

However, I just got a leaked copy of the full album, and it is absolutely amazing. It combines elements from as far back as Opiate and Undertow with elements from more recent albums along with some entirely new, innovative sounds to create a sound all it's own. Most prominently are Maynard's continued exploration of vocals and some awesome riffs from Adam Jones. You can really hear the Meshuggah influence in Adam (that's not my opinion, he's admitted it).

As usual, Maynard's haunting and introspective lyrics are powerful. A lot of this album centers around his mother's life after her stroke and paralysis (her name was Marie). She was paralyzed for about 27 years, approximately 10,000 days.

Unfortunately, I've heard a lot of negative comments about the album, some people even speculating that the leaked version is a joke album designed to fuck with people. These people must be idiots. The album is spectacular. It's gripping, it's powerful, and it's got a groove to it unlike past Tool albums.

If you're interested, pm me and I'll see if I can't ysi it to you in a rar'ed format.

For the record, the leaked version is not a substitute for the actual album. I will be buying it on May 2.

Agreed. However, the closest show to Austin/Houston is in Dallas and tickets are going for $200-$900.

What's up with that??

And it's TONIGHT!!

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Well I'm on my 3rd consecutive listen. Each time the album gets more gripping, deeper and immersive.

My opinion, at this point, is that it's their best work to date. I haven't wanted to skip 1 track (that's rare for me to say the least) although I do feel that the album is meant to be listened to in it's entirety - there aren't many tracks I'd just 'skip to' to listen but the experience as a collective is stunning.

When they come to ATL we'll be seeing them (again - Lateralus was a great tour too!!)

edit: And while I was initally annoyed I couldn't get the CD from ITunes I am now glad because the artwork and packaging is awesome.

Blues,
Ian
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao-Tzu

It's all good, they're my brothers ~ Mariann Kramer

Well I'm on my 3rd consecutive listen. Each time the album gets more gripping, deeper and immersive.

My opinion, at this point, is that it's their best work to date. I haven't wanted to skip 1 track (that's rare for me to say the least) although I do feel that the album is meant to be listened to in it's entirety - there aren't many tracks I'd just 'skip to' to listen but the experience as a collective is stunning.

When they come to ATL we'll be seeing them (again - Lateralus was a great tour too!!)

edit: And while I was initally annoyed I couldn't get the CD from ITunes I am now glad because the artwork and packaging is awesome.

Blues,
Ian

I'll skip track 7 to get to track 8 so I don't get surprised. 8 made me jump the first couple times I listened to it.

You had me hooked until you said "it's got a groove to it unlike past Tool albums". I think Lateralus and Aenima are definately "mood" albums, a little more heady than primal. However, Undertow has definately got a primal groove through its entirety. If yer not picken up on that son, ya done got no mojo at all:P:P:P It packs a nice dark emotive vibe I dig it.

This album is refreshing in that it takes you somewhere. It has a very emersive effect if you are allowing yourself to listen. I am so tired of 3 min aural hand jobs to meet the radio format. These guys definately have taken time and sincerity to produce a mature work with this one. I was happy to shell out a paultry ten bucks for this cd which is artistically worth more than the last 10 I've bought. I would like to see it in a celebrity death match with the last Dave Mathews album...

Hixxx
death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when

Tool is, IMO, the best rock band of the last 10 years, maybe more. They're playing tomorrow night about one mile from me, and I'm not going. Big-name concerts just aren't worth the hassle, starting with the body-cavity searches, and ending with the traffic jam. There's plenty of good local music without the degradation of civilization.

I'll probably download the album on the 'net, just to spite the RIAA. At some point, I'll want better sound quality and buy a second-hand CD, again, just to spite the RIAA.

I hate being so cynical of things, but when it comes to name-brand music, damn it's easy :S
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

If you think they're the best rock band of the last 10 years, why wouldn't you support them?

You're spiting the artist too.

Blues,
Ian
ps: I'm all for D/L a CD to see if it's worth buying, but if you determine it is - at least support the artist. ;)
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao-Tzu

It's all good, they're my brothers ~ Mariann Kramer