garbageman

Hi alt. O2 equip

>He is not jumping a ruck sack so he does not need a system designed to do so.

I agree. And he is not doing a military HAHO jump so he does not need a system designed for that (although such a system, like an MT1XS, would likely work fine.)

We go to 26,000 feet without any bailout system at all and do OK. And again, despite the potential problems with these systems, generally they work OK.

So, what happens to someone who has a reserve deployment going out a crowded tailgate at 26,000'? Will they be OK? Will their PD 113 open OK at that altitude and airspeed?

Now, that's not to say it's unsafe, because we generally think a Javelin is strong _enough_ for sport usage, even if it would have trouble with opening at 30,000 feet with a 120lb sack attached.

What is the difference between a sport jav and a MJ that *has* been tested at 25,000' and 450 lbs all up weight?

I Googled this topic and here are a few links that I think can provide you with a turn key solution. It's not perfect,but its do-able. With the right inline attachment/valve fitting, you may be able to accomplish what the Airox VIII does by allowing you to breath off a aircraft O2 tank during climb and switch over to bailout bottles for the exit.

http://www.aviationoxygen.com/delivery_above_25000.html

http://www.aerox.com/

http://www.eastwestindustries.com/oxygen.html

http://www.fluidpowerohio.com/portable.html
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Roger that,and as you can see that has been my intention,from the manifold(console tie in) to the mouth Ive got parts(low pressure).But in the tank direction(low-high pressure)I need parts or a place to begin.To replicate the flow/pressure dynamic,will be the most important peice of this equasion.Iam guessing that some where between 5-15 lpm,at a reduced pressure,say 5psi is a ball park to shoot for.
Also the hypoxia-its at altitude while humping a small load (40lbs) heartrate about 175bpm,no acclimitation time,so its doesnt happen unprovoked at low alt.I humped 130lbs 20 miles in the backcountry ,and never had an issue msl-3500'.
If I wind up with all mil.spec parts I will still have to leake check,function check,and possibly find alternate mounting methods.
To those that have offered ideas- I do appreciate the input,and thank you for your thoughts.All of the Civilian gear is not designed for free-fall,Its function is to supliment a piolt in a controlled enviormnet,not to withstand 120mph winds,The next progression of thought is also that once a wing suit is flying it can be doing 100mpg forward so the wind is now dragging the soft corragated surface hose down ward,another reason why I'd prefer a hard hose,wich would require a different reg.
Scott,In your opinion is the mbu-20series(gentex side exhauat,intake) of masks worth a person investment?,so far as comfort,preformance,and overall usability is concerned?
Mike,can you comment on system that I was advised you had put together? If its just not something you are ready to discuss thats understandable. Thnx everyone, SFGould

The next progression of thought is also that once a wing suit is flying it can be doing 100mpg forward so the wind is now dragging the soft corragated surface hose down ward,another reason why I'd prefer a hard hose,wich would require a different reg.

IMO, this is a non issue. The flexible hose can more than stand up to the rigors of freefall be it belly to earth, ejecting out of an aircraft or wingsuiting. The hose is going to be routed downward no matter what you do due to its design and how it will have to be routed to reach the bottles. Just out of curiosity, have you done many wingsuit jumps to date?

In your opinion is the mbu-20series(gentex side exhauat,intake) of masks worth a person investment?,so far as comfort,preformance,and overall usability is concerned?

The MBU-20 is a good mask as well. It feels different than the MBU-12 in that it seals to your face differently by using an inner triangle shaped orifice for the seal and the outer perimeter of the mask is not as tightly fit against the face. The 20 is mostly found in the chambers and in aircraft/fighters. It will work equally as well as the 12 for what you want to use it for. Personally, I would go with just one model of mask just for ease of maintenance. You said you have picked up the old mbu-5, and a 12 but I wouldn't even consider the 5 worth spending money on personally.

Iam guessing that some where between 5-15 lpm,at a reduced pressure,say 5psi is a ball park to shoot for.

I can crack the TM and get the no BS numbers but I can tell you off the cuff that those numbers are way too low for the military system you are trying to piece together/use.

Also the hypoxia-its at altitude while humping a small load (40lbs) heartrate about 175bpm,no acclimitation time,so its doesnt happen unprovoked at low alt

I am confused by this bit still. What do you plan on doing while the A/C is climbing to altitude other than sitting there? If you are on O2 from the time you leave the ground(lets even say you mask at 10K) till the time you switch over to the bail out bottles you are not at risk of becoming hypoxic unless the seal on your mask is compromised or you stop getting O2 from the system.As long as you are sucking O2 you can move around and function normally. Aircraft Load masters and HALO jump masters do it all the time with full combat loads without issue.Of course the more you exert yourself the more O2 you will suck down but thats only a concern if your breathing off of your bail out bottles.

All of the Civilian gear is not designed for free-fall,Its function is to supliment a piolt in a controlled enviormnet,not to withstand 120mph winds,

The systems displayed in the links I provided are more than capable for freefall if not specifically designed for it. Even the rebreather bag on some of the civilan masks shown will stand up to freefall, not that you'll need it other than when inside the aircraft at 25k and higher. Once you jump, it's function is moot since you are rapidly decending, so even if it came off on exit,it'd be no big deal. With the links in my last post, I could build either a complete civilian system or piece meal a half civilian ,half military equipment system together that would work.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

My primary concern with the soft hose is it getting pinched,not so much its durability,it will have to enter the suit somewhere.Even if I block mount the cru to the chest strap,as is the normal configurement for a cru there will be hose flapping around,Im sure the set-up will work fine,but if I can address some smaller issues in the build stage,it will be less mods down the road,remember I will have a limited amount of jumps availible to me for test pourposes,this is on my dime,and I want to start the build process on as close to the end result as possible.
You have voiced conecern over the hypia,so I have addressed as completely as possible.Also because that has happened,I can not negate its existance,and must therefore be better prepared,when,if an issue arrises
Ive got in the nieghborhood of 300 wingsuit flights.I dont plan on jumping in a bird tommarow at 30k and flying off in to the wild blue yonder.My approach is to build, test,and evaluate at low alt(13.5k)which I can do anywhere for fit,and ergo issues first.Then to T&E [email protected] everything falls right,and murphy makes his normal showing I hope to do 30k next summer/fall.Your caution and diligence is greatly appreciated.
The mbu-5,is parts and nothing more,Ibought it for the the three pin connector,the -12 came with a QD.Ive seen the -20 series used with hard hoses,and what appears to be a med. diameter covered hose,I like the over the shoulder lead-in design,and the hard hose design,but that will require a demand style reg,as there is no expansion room in a hard hose. I have no intention of building something to run on multiple components,But I am looking to start off as close to the end result as possible,there by saving time and money.

My primary concern with the soft hose is it getting pinched,not so much its durability,it will have to enter the suit somewhere.

I honestly think you are worrying about an non issues here. Take a look at how the system was rigged up for the Gibralter flight and you will see how it was routed and how it performed in flight. You would have to bend the hose more than 90 degrees to cause it cut off the flow and even then due to the spiral shaped hose, I think you would still get a small amount of flow. I've used this system extensively to include holding the hose in place using rbbber bands and pinching has never been an issue. Head Mobility to the left/right/up may be an issue depending on how you rig it due to the hose but pinching is not something I would spend any time worrying about.

EDIT: The flow numbers you should be concerned with if using the MBU12 with a civilian bottle set up. The unit should be capable of flowing 8.2 to 9.3 lpm of oxygen with a nominal input pressure of 50 psig(pounds per square inch guage) up to 35k feet.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Ive googled gibgraltar,when I dial into wingsuits,and refine the search I only endup with a pic. from above lokking down on the formation.I'm not even sure that what I see is custum bags to hold the bottles,along the sides of the container.Where would a guy go to find detailed pics,and or desciptions?I can get a -20 gentex.Your input thus far has mirrored input from others so far as fit/comfort,and seal go.If I drop the bones on one,the unanswered ?'s revolve around the valve,and reg.
What my nontest jumper contacts tell me is the op.sys. for that mask/valve is different,and uses a different reg. Trust me I dont want the headache of building an overly complicated system,this has been head ache enough so far,but the basics building blocks Ive got,the cru-60 being the most important,as i am told the console on both civ. planes that i am aware of,(Tenn.,Calif.)will interface with it.I really want to wing suit a Herc,but thats over the horizon. I'm on the move quite a bit and havent been home in a while.replies will come faster then.

Some of the pictures can be found here

What my nontest jumper contacts tell me is the op.sys. for that mask/valve is different,and uses a different reg

There are a few different configurations, however, most are only familiar with the Airox VII because thats what is principally used for HALO. I'd have to crack the TM again but I know there is at least 2 other variations that can be used whos function is the same but the shape and apperance is different, not to mention the method of attachment. Which all goes back to what I mentioned about getting all identical(and compatible) equiment.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I saw that set up,a few days ago,If it sells it will go big on the price.Being that Ive got no exp. w/ that set-up,its not obvious where,if, a console will couple.
In a previous post in the wingsuit section,I made mention of mounting the bottles in board,on ny calves.I know the bottles will condense and plan some insulation along with thebottle bags,If this goes after-market below the cru.If it can be kept all mil.spec. I plan to shoot for an exterior bag as shown in the gibraltar pics.
My cru has a QD coupler from the tank,a three pin to the mask,and a 2pin ferrule from the console.
thnx for the pics.......

This may seem obvious but I thought I'd throw it out there just in case. If you're buying MBU-12s, make sure you buy the right size mask for your face. It makes a big difference when you have a mask that fits right compared to something too big/small. It also assures that you can obtain and maintain a proper seal on the mask. If you are unsure of what size mask you wear, there is a way to measure using calipers. If needed, I can crack the TM and look up the different size measurements for you.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING