Nightingale

Cypres activated teddy bear rig

I think constructing a bear-sized rig shouldn't be too much of a problem. I just need to figure out the right balance between enough weight to get the bear to accelerate enough to set off the cypres, but light enough that a large reserve pilot chute will be sufficient lift so he doesn't make a new skylight for manifest.

LOVE the idea, Nightingale!

Of course, if you prefer the trial-and-error approach, you might want to head up to Cal City for a day. Lots of clear desert area to take the spot long without worry of creating skylights. (Though the Ted might get a bit dusty, if the weight ratio is off the first few times...). Heck, they dropped a piano out of an Otter at Cal City for a 'Senseless Acts of Video' episode, so I imagine a stuffed bear would work out just fine....

Good luck! Post pictures!! :)
KC
Signatures are the new black.

Just don't end up with what happened in Quincy in about 2000 or 2001. A Teddy bear deployment, which landed very near to me and was easily recognized, was mistaken for a jumper going into the corn under a reserve and reported. Resulted in several hours of dozens of people searching until it was decided that it was the bear that was reported.>:(

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Kris, you should get in touch with mjosparky and ask him about "Little Don". Little Don is an Air Trash mascot with a peg leg, modeled after AT member Don Vredenburg. Sparky has even built a small round canopy for Don. Don has some 20+ skydives by now. He is carried out the door by a live human jumper and is hand deployed and released in the air.

I'm sure Sparky can give you all kinds of advice, especially since for your old Cypres you'll need to have your doll cooking along at least 78mph in order to scare the Cypres into firing.

Send sparky a PM and he'll be happy to give you the lowdown, I'm sure.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Kris,

letter below is from our Pink Panther - who wants to help you, plus hopefully find a panther friend...

Dear Kris,

I am a disappointed panther.

I’ve spent weeks looking at all previous forums – and I cannot find anyone else like me!!!!

Aren’t there any other skydiving panthers out there? Am I the only licensed non-human skydiver?

Come on – any other panthers, pink or not – let’s hear from you!!!!!

It’s not that I don’t have any human friends and jump-buddies, I do. Heck, it was a human who put me through jump school and went on to coach me through RW training, packing, and even drinking beers after a hard day at the DZ.

But I’d really like a jumping-panther buddy, preferable a cute female panther. Or any type of soft and cuddly bear type of jump buddy – hmmmm, again, preferably a female one.

So get back to me – I’m a sensitive new age pink panther.

Blue Skies,

Panth
B|

P.s. Pics of me at the DZ are attached. I’m a bit older and wiser now. Also some of me doing RW and hanging with some human jump buddies as well as me at my instructor's wedding (I was a guest of honor) way back in the late 70's.

Just don't end up with what happened in Quincy in about 2000 or 2001. A Teddy bear deployment, which landed very near to me and was easily recognized, was mistaken for a jumper going into the corn under a reserve and reported. Resulted in several hours of dozens of people searching until it was decided that it was the bear that was reported.>:(

I wouldn't do a teddy bear deployment without permission from the dropzone, so everyone would know what was going on. =)

The reserve PC has a lot more weight to it then the main PC does. You've got the weight of the spring and the hard cap to start with. Depending on the design that could be over 2 pounds alone. What you would not want to have happen is the PC to flip upside down and end up using poor Teddy as a streamer to it. I'm not smart enough to figure it out but there should be some formula to figure out how much more the bear needs to weigh to fall faster then the PC when it is inverted and not inflated to keep that from happening.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I think the issue is that to get something like a teddy bear over 78MPH in order to deploy the cypress, you're going to have to weight it a fair bit (like bag-of-lead-shot weight, probably). Thus, a regular 28" pilot chute isn't gonna slow teddy down enough to prevent him from cratering on impact, while a tandem drogue (basically a giant pilot chute) might slow him down more. But neither one has a spring to get it away from the rig when the cypress cuts the closing loop like a reserve pilot chute does, and cypress deployments kind of rely on that tension.
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

Sounds like way to much effort for little pay off. Why not just get a bigger bear or other stuffie and use a old rig, there are lots of old rigs around you could find for free. You should also be able to find a round reserve to pack into the rig, weight it up and toss it out.

If you took the time to do this right and found all the parts, and used a FXC on the main you could jump it more then once. I have seen Elmo make about 12 jumps over the years, that dummy has his SCR and I think a NSCR. He is a full size dummy too.

In Colorado we used to have a bugs bunny that was about 4 and a half foot tall, we had a old 26ft lopo made to streamer and he would get tossed out with half a cinder block strapped to him at about a grand,IAD. He bounced in the parking lot once and almost took out two cars. And then we also had a aircraft owner and his wife on the airport, and she freaked out bigtime seeing what she thought was a real person dying.

Long story short is, your not the first to think it up, but sounds like you need to re-think what your going to use if you want it to work.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

If you took the time to do this right and found all the parts, and used a FXC on the main you could jump it more then once. .

Excellent point. A FXC can be manually re-set after each use, where you would have to replace (and spend mucho dinero for) replacement cutter units every time you drop the little guy. Should be plenty of FXCs kicking around for cheap and all the badmouthing aside, they're actually quite reliable, certainly for your intended purpose.

You ask Sparky about any of this yet ?

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !