baseknut

Question for Riggers

I am interested in getting my riggers ticket. But, i am confused on how to obtain it.

For anyone out there who knows about the process for becoming a rigger, can you please elaborate??

thanks all.
jake
Step into my (sub)terminal Playground

There are many comments made on this subject area. Just do a quick search and youll see wht I mean. Best advice work under a local rigger and do your 20 pack jobs and repairs etc.........he / she will be able to expain on the rest..
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

By the way... good luck to you in your endeavors.
Chuck

Chuck,

Thank you very much.

To get back on topic, that was a very well written piece by Hooknswoop some 4 years ago. I’m sure it has helped many since.

Jeff

Glad you found it! I read the entire thread and thought it was well done with some very good contributions.

Chuck

Hooknswoop, had a real good thread on this topic... check it out! (If, you haven't already)

It is a good article, but there is one small flaw in the sequence of it all.

You need the Block V endorsement from the FAA before you can take the written test. Not just before the practical.

The proper sequence is as follows:

1.Pack 20 Parachutes under supervision

2. Have a letter issued to the FAA written by the supervising rigger.

3. Take the letter, your logbook, and two completed original copies of FAA form 8610-2 to your FSDO.

4.The FSDO will sign off Block V.

5.Take the 8610's to the written test location of choice. The FAA's Block V endorsement on the 8610-2 allows you to take the test.

6.After passing the written, take the test results and the two 8610-2's to a DPRE for the oral and practical.

Cheers,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Mark -

Exactly - I noticed that, too. I could not take the written until I had visited the FSDO and got their endorsement: which required the repacks, logbook examination, supervision letter, etc.

Oh, and proper ID. You REALLY need proper ID. I had my ducks in a row, and the FSDO people were wonderful to me. (Hint: since I became a rigger as an apprentice, calling my FSDO early and often was very helpful to me. They really will go out of their way to help you if you just ask.)

One small note: I was able to fill out the 8610 forms AT the FSDO. In fact our local guys seemed to prefer that.

MEL - thanks much for the linesets B|.

All my best,
Dawn