rushboy

mystery washers

Tonight I washed two rigs for a customer. One was a Quasar and the other an Infinity. When I was done, I laid both rigs on a table. I then discovered three washers laying on the table near where I was working on the Infinity. The washers were all rubber-backed and tapered. I can't figure out where the heck they came from. Any ideas? Sorry if this is an uninformed question, but I'm at a loss...

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space.

They don't look like any closing loop washer that I have ever seen...they are tapered...as in slightly conical. They also have a rubber backing...like a small plumbing washer for a tap. I have the closing loop washer, but can't identify, or even find a possible location for the other three washers that I have described. I have never seen these on any rig I have packed, but that means very little. This will be the first time I have packed either of these types of rigs. I have only been a rigger for 2 years now. Any other thoughts?

You've got me stumped. They sound like washers out of a faucet. Any chance they came from somewhere besides the rigs?;)

Were they both serviced by another rigger, the same rigger, before? If so you might call that rigger and see if they used them for something.

In 27 years of rigging I've never seen a washer like that associated with skydiving. Doesn't mean they weren't, just that I'm stumped.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Thanks for all the input. I'm guessing that they just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time...probably left by some plumber with a fetish for messing with riggers' heads. I knew I was safe when even "Riggerrob" didn't have any ideas.;)

You've been had by the rig owner...

"I'll just throw a couple of old washers I found into the rig and watch the rigger go nuts trying to figure out where they come from."

:D:D

Sorry, dude. I asked my rigger here and he's never heard of such and animal either.

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Like http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=1133155

They also come with a conical shape.

The purpose of the rubber is to make a water tight seal. I have seen them in roofing and marine applications.

By having the washer not be flat, but conical, when it is tightened down - the washer is "smashed flat" and spring loads the system a bit so as the rubber degrades or the screw comes slightly loose, the seal remains intact.

My vote. The rig owner threw his rig in the trunk of his car where he also had a bag of parts spill. The washers ended up in the main pack tray or something.

That is close, but not quite right. I think you are right though. I'm sure that they were there by coinsidence. I can't imagine any purpose for them.
These washers had the rubber on only one side and both the metal washer and the rubber backing were tapered.