weegegirl

Cutaway 8.6.06

:P

hey, when ARE you guys coming?? wanna make sure i'm there with tequilla in hand.

We have about twenty five that are planning on going, and are actually serious about it... Should be a good time, looking to maybe BBQ afterwards...

They're all bartenders, so they should fit right in... B|

Key word: When??

And... hell yeah! BBQ and heavy drinking... it's on. :P

So you DID drop both handles. You "lost" the cutaway handle, and "let go" of the reserve. You certainly didn't just pull the reserve out far enough to pop the reserve, look to see that it was secure in the housing, and decide to leave it there to get it later in the time that you pulled and got your hand on the reserve risers, so I am not sure why you don't just say you dropped it. It is not about whether or not you got to the ground with the handles, but whether or not you dropped them in the process of the cutaway. It's no biggie, I was just going to offer some input about dropping handles for you or others to think about when jumping HP canopies.

So you DID drop both handles. You "lost" the cutaway handle, and "let go" of the reserve. You certainly didn't just pull the reserve out far enough to pop the reserve, look to see that it was secure in the housing, and decide to leave it there to get it later in the time that you pulled and got your hand on the reserve risers, so I am not sure why you don't just say you dropped it. It is not about whether or not you got to the ground with the handles, but whether or not you dropped them in the process of the cutaway. It's no biggie, I was just going to offer some input about dropping handles for you or others to think about when jumping HP canopies.

In ALL training that I have gone through and witnessed, letting go and or dropping the emergency procedure handles is the correct thing to do. I have never seen any training material that suggests otherwise.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

First of all, I really don't appreciate you implying that I am lying to you or not willing to speak the truth. Read the rest of the thread... I have posted my thoughts about it. I am always open for learning, as I do not think I'm some skygod like some others on here.

You are right... I did not "look down" to see where the reserve handle was. I did not intentionally pop it only part way or something. But I certainly felt that it was there still and not going anywhere so I reached up and steared myself where I wanted to go. And hey, I was right... it was still there when I reached back down to stow it. And you know what, if it wasn't, I really don't give a damn. I can afford new handles.

Yes, I used two-hands on the handles. I reached with one at first for the cutaway but couldn't get a good grip on it so i ripped it out with both. Should I break this down for you even more? This video was supposed to be for entertainment purposes.

Dude..what the fuck does it matter? If you think you have advice to offer, than fucking offer it. What is the fucking point of drilling her on whether or not she dropped the handles? :S

Glad you're alive babe:)

Bet that was hard to locate the green main in the forest.

I thought I would have a hard time with that too, but two people who watched... the tandem master on the jump with me, and someone on the ground, put two-and-two together and ran out and grabbed my stuff right away.

I was actually thinking about following it down but opted not too as it looked like it was going for the woods anyway, and I just wanted to get my feet on the ground in a good spot ASAP.

Bet that was hard to locate the green main in the forest.

I thought I would have a hard time with that too, but two people who watched... the tandem master on the jump with me, and someone on the ground, put two-and-two together and ran out and grabbed my stuff right away.

I was actually thinking about following it down but opted not too as it looked like it was going for the woods anyway, and I just wanted to get my feet on the ground in a good spot ASAP.

...and in a bull-free pasture;):ph34r:

Do they have cows in Virgnia? :P

So I am way long from the lz and look down to see my two options.... one field full of about 30 or 40 cows, and the other field with just 1. Hmm.. the just one was obviously a bull and my reserve was bright red. Hahaha. I aborted that scene all together and ended up landing pretty damn far from the dz. But I guess it's better safe than sorry. I was in no mood to land and run from a bull at that point. :P

Oh this is brilliant! Now I have funks, of all people, calling me out!:S

When you watch the video you can see that one riser clearly releases before the other. It is extremely possible that if you happened to only pull the cutaway far enough to release one and not the other, and dropped the handle, you would be in a very bad situation, especially in this type of malfunction. You may not be able to get ahold of that handle again to finish the release if spinning very badly. By holding onto the handle, you can make sure it is released fully and pull it further if needed. If you drop it, there are a few reasons you may want it back. The same can be said of the reserve handle. It is best not to drop the reserve handle because you can then make sure you have it at full arms length and completely pulled and clearly see this.

The cutaway system is pretty good, but it might not work exactly like you thought in these types of situations, so it is a good idea to get in the habit of pulling the cutaway all the way to arms length, checking that you are fully released from your main, then pulling the reserve handle, doing the same thing. Shit happens fast, as anyone who has been in this situation knows, and having your handles in your hands and seeing that clearly, can be very important it something doesn't release like you thought it was going to.

I really WAS trying to help and just wanted to be clear on what happened on the video. I apologize that I came across as being otherwise.

So you are suggesting I don't use two hands? As I learned from my first and then my second chop, my arms are not long enough to clear the cables. It takes a second sweep. And when it's out, it's out. Not like I intentionally got rid of it. But I really needed to have both hands to do the same with the reserve.

You are reading training material for students then. There are alot of things that we change as more experienced jumpers that does not follow student training guidelines.

PLease link to and/or show me the literature you speak of please.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

Well, the problem with the two-handed technigue in a spinning malfunction is that the forces of the spin can get really nasty in a hurry and you may not see that coming. When you realize you are on you back, spinning under line twists on a small HP canopy, it can be a good idea to get ahold of both handles before it gets too difficult. There have been a number of instances where people have been spinning so bad that it was almost impossible to locate and get too their reserve handle after cutting away. The tendency can also be such to rush the cutaway pull in order to get to the reserve, which can be bad if you "pull, throw" and didn't get the canopy released fully.

You did a great job, and there is no one techinique that suits everyone. Just simple some things to think about that you might not have before, and now that you are jumping a smaller HP canopy.

You are reading training material for students then. There are alot of things that we change as more experienced jumpers that does not follow student training guidelines.

PLease link to and/or show me the literature you speak of please.

Dude, seriously. Can you link me to the training literature on swooping next to buldings and such? No, you can't. It is simply things we learn and do as more experienced skydivers. Most students are taught to use the two-handed technique for cutaways and alot of jumpers switch to the hand on each handle technique later on.

We constantly have to adapt what we learn to what our skills are and what each situation is.

I have been jumping this canopy and a stilleto 120 for some time now. I think your theory is good, but not for everyone. Talk to most females in this sport who have chopped and they cannot get the cable cleared with a one-handed pull. They MUST do a second sweep with a second hand. To keep the handle then in your hand is VERY difficult when you are then trying to peal and pull the reserve, which also must be cleared. However, once you feel that reserve pop off your back, there is no need to fully clear the cable until you are ready... correct?

There are two things I wish I could go back and change about how I reacted. One, I am pretty sure when I did kick, I kicked in the wrong direction. But I didn't really kick that much because it was still spinning up and I was on my back at that point spinning hard. And two, I had a lot of altitude and should have played with it a little longer. Because our spot was long I had deployed higher than normal. I had plenty of time.

And for the record, Funks may be a royal jackass on here, but he is a good skydiver and a very nice guy in person.

I think you did great. Im glad you posted the video, I was in awe when we talked sunday, my only cutaway is such a lame story.

You may think you should have done something different but you are alive and you kept your head about you. Personally I think your life is worth more then handles and the last thing someone should debate about before cutting away is if they can afford to replace the lost parts. Dont worry ... be happy and good on ya....

Dont call Funks out, lol, from what I understand he wants to be considered an asshole. What ever will become of his rep if people report how kind he is

:D
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

And for the record, Funks may be a royal jackass on here, but he is a good skydiver and a very nice guy in person.

Don't get this thread all mush an' shite!:)

And DD - perhaps you should begin writing such SOP's and "Guidelines".