linestretch

what the?....

Okkum's Razor.
Look for the simplest explanation.

The primary function of the slider grommets is squeezing lines together, restricting airflow to the bottom skin immediately after the d-bag opens.

By the time you start calculating grommet friction, the canopy is already half-inflated.

In conclusion, if brake lines are not routed through slider grommets, a canopy will open quicker because the trailing edge will catch air earlier in the deployment sequence.

footnote: there are several different ways to spell "Okkum."

Whether the short end or long end - of a Maillon Rapide - is oriented towards the riser or lines really only makes a difference when risers are made of thick webbing.
For example, if risers are made of thick - Type 13 - webbing, it is difficult to massage links to lay straight (i.e. Absorb the load along their long axis).

Odd!
I have only seen Smart reserves packed into Icons.

Since the container manual supersedes the canopy manufacturer's instructions ... then you can only install a PD reserve - in an Icon - with soft links.

Whether you install Aerodyne soft links or (reserve) PD Slinks is a minor difference.

But we are really splitting hairs here.
Either type of link (soft or steel) will work - as long as it is installed in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.

This thread is primarily about lazy riggers, ignoring manuals, etc.

Rob you say the orientation does not matter but I see that FAA-H-8083-17 section 5-9 states:
If the canopy is equiped with Rapide links, they should be oriented on the riser with the barrel inboard and to the bottom so it tightens upward.
it goes on to say how tight, etc.

LIFE IS LIKE A CIGARETTE, YOU CAN SIT THERE AND WATCH IT BURN AWAY OR YOU CAN SMOKE THAT BITCH TO THE FILTER

You are correct.
That is the best way to install Maillon Rapide connector links.

I was merely trying to point out that there a couple of other ways to install Maillon Rapide links that will not kill you.
For example: for many years Para-Flite and PISA shipped reserves with Maillon Rapide barrels OUTBOARD.

That only pesents a problem when slider grommets slam into links during hard openings. I got soooooo tired of rubbing (emery cloth) rough edges out of slider grommets, that I installed bumpers on most of our student reserves. I also re-oriented Maillon Rapide links - the FAA-recommended way - on most of our student gear.

Thanks Rob< also I am still looking in the Icon Manual to see where it is stated "specifically not to use bumpers" I just can't find it.

LIFE IS LIKE A CIGARETTE, YOU CAN SIT THERE AND WATCH IT BURN AWAY OR YOU CAN SMOKE THAT BITCH TO THE FILTER

I am still looking in the Icon Manual to see where it is stated "specifically not to use bumpers" I just can't find it.

In my Icon Harness Container Packing Manual (TM162, Edition 05-2005) on page 34: "Warning: never use slider bumpers on the reserve canopy."

Mark

I see that FAA-H-8083-17 section 5-9 states:

The preface to the PRH reads:

"The discussion and explanations reflect commonly used practices and principles. This handbook provides a basic knowledge that can serve as a foundation on which to build further knowledge. Occasionally the word “must” or similar language is used where the desired action is deemed critical." (my emphasis added)

I think the difference between "should" and "must" is clear to most of us. I've seen at least one good reason to deviate from the "prescribed" method of Rapide link assembly, and I'm reading that the FAA doesn't intend to take away the rigger's discretion. Of course individual mfrs. can establish thier own requirements.

I am still looking in the Icon Manual to see where it is stated "specifically not to use bumpers" I just can't find it.

In my Icon Harness Container Packing Manual (TM162, Edition 05-2005) on page 34: "Warning: never use slider bumpers on the reserve canopy."

Mark

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

That is because Aerodyne planned to sell a Smart reserve with every Icon.

Since Smart reserves come standard with soft links - and bumpers are silly when installed on reserve soft links - ergo, it is silly to install bumpers in Icons.

Are you following my logic?

how bout the fact that the misrouted brake lines could cause a line over...? not something i'd want on my reserve.

Damn, someone beat me to it! That would be my biggest concern by far. BASE canopies deployed with no slider or the slider tied to the links/risers are nearly always equipped with a device called a tailgate. A device who's primary function is to prevent the line-over that would be much more likely with no slider grommets to control the steering lines.
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

I don't have time to find it on the Apex site, but I do recall reading something along those lines now... It was to prevent tail inversions, with the added bonus of preventing line-overs. Sorry.
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

No the breaklines are the thing that slow down the slider. thats why they shrink alot faster than other lines also as they take alot more friction from slowing the slider down.

Uh, aren't the brake lines the lines that speed the slider down? Being at the highest angle? and that's why they shrink the most, due to that angle?