unlucky1

Traveling with Rig F@#$-up !

I was at Target yesterday looking for a bag. I seriously thought about bringing my rig in, then chickened out. :$

I had a security person stop me on my way out of Target. "Do you have a receipt for that?" "Do you sell custom built skydiving gear with my name embroidered on it?
cavete terrae.

Having a gear bag is also wise to prevent nervous passengers from complaining about the weirdo with the parachute to security. All it would take is one passenger to express discomfort, and I think they will tell you it doesn't matter what the TSA policy is, you will not walk on with it.

That's all well and good for you normal sized people with small rigs. As it is, my rig will just BARELY clear the carryon size restrictions, and a gear bag big enough to hold it would push it over the edge.

What i do is tighten the leg straps as far as they'll go, then push them together and wrap a pullup cord around them. Chest strap gets threaded through the reserve handle 6 or 7 times and rubberbanded in place. Can't even tell it's a rig at that point, if you're a whuffo

My rig is definitely not small - Infinity I-65, about the same as yours.

Lots of carry on stuff is too big per the airline requirements, no surprise there, the airlines don't enforce it. I just accept the fact that there are some circumstances where checking the rig will be required, and so I have appropriate choices in soft gear bags or hard cases.

I think there are plenty of regular people that can identify a parachute, even if cleaned up as you describe.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Having a gear bag is also wise to prevent nervous passengers from complaining about the weirdo with the parachute to security. All it would take is one passenger to express discomfort, and I think they will tell you it doesn't matter what the TSA policy is, you will not walk on with it.

That's all well and good for you normal sized people with small rigs. As it is, my rig will just BARELY clear the carryon size restrictions, and a gear bag big enough to hold it would push it over the edge.

What i do is tighten the leg straps as far as they'll go, then push them together and wrap a pullup cord around them. Chest strap gets threaded through the reserve handle 6 or 7 times and rubberbanded in place. Can't even tell it's a rig at that point, if you're a whuffo

My rig is definitely not small - Infinity I-65, about the same as yours.

Lots of carry on stuff is too big per the airline requirements, no surprise there, the airlines don't enforce it. I just accept the fact that there are some circumstances where checking the rig will be required, and so I have appropriate choices in soft gear bags or hard cases.

I think there are plenty of regular people that can identify a parachute, even if cleaned up as you describe.

Mine's actually an I-88, for what it's worth :) But yeah, I always get to the airport early enough so that if they're really going to be chickenfucking douchecanoes about it, I'll have time to go to UPS or FedEx and mail it wherever I need to go. When in doubt, assume everyone's an idiot and hellbent on making your life hell, and your life will go easier :D
cavete terrae.

chickenfucking douchecanoes

...that's a strange expression Bruce! :D

Your canopies must fit very loose in an I-88? Seems like you're 2 sizes too big?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

chickenfucking douchecanoes

...that's a strange expression Bruce! :D

Your canopies must fit very loose in an I-88? Seems like you're 2 sizes too big?

At least I think it's an I-88. Shit, lemme go look.
cavete terrae.

I also have a large rig. W-22 with a pair of 210's. I'm halfway tempted to invest in a Pelican case.

My rig's probably too big for that particular case (Outside 22"L x 14"W x 9"D, Inside 20.2"L x 11.4"W x 7.5"D), but they also sell TSA-approved Peli-locks.

I'd be inclined to pack my gear in a Pelican with Peli-lock and check it.

I also have a large rig. W-22 with a pair of 210's. I'm halfway tempted to invest in a Pelican case.

My rig's probably too big for that particular case (Outside 22"L x 14"W x 9"D, Inside 20.2"L x 11.4"W x 7.5"D), but they also sell TSA-approved Peli-locks.

I'd be inclined to pack my gear in a Pelican with Peli-lock and check it.

You're a braver man than I'd. I'd never, ever trust my baby in the hands of those asscorks.
cavete terrae.

You're a braver man than I'd. I'd never, ever trust my baby in the hands of those asscorks.

I'd check it and watch it as it goes past TSA. Once past them and on the way to the plane, I'd be trusting a TSA-openable padlock (against pilferage), a hard case (against mishandling), and the foam that comes with it (against my rig moving around inside the case).

I'd definitely prefer positive control over my gear, but I'd still have to stuff it in an overhead. At 6'3", I can't imagine stowing anything under the seat in front of me, I barely have room to put my feet there with my knees against the seat.

At 6'3", I can't imagine stowing anything under the seat in front of me, I barely have room to put my feet there with my knees against the seat.

I'm the same height, but I deal with the discomfort, at least on domestic flights. I usually get exit row, though... International, yeah, it's going in the overhead.
cavete terrae.

I was looking at this one. It's fairly cheap and should be sturdy enough to carry gear. But I don't know if it's small enough to carry on since I almost never fly.

Nope, that's probably going to be too big. The size limit is usually 45 total linear inches, which usually translates into a bag that's no longer than 22".

I traveled from ATL to NYC with my rig earlier this year, and had no trouble I had it in a carryon, its a J4, and fit perfectly. Its worth the trouble, it keeps peoples eyes and hands off of it. They didn't even bat an eye lash. I had all the paper work suggested here, I think thats necessary. Just incase.
Yeah...You need to grow up. -Skymama

Can anyon e help with a link to the x-ray picture of a cypress I can print out??!!

I can't find one on the airtec website. Nor does their PDF downloadable manual have a copy of that x-ray picture in it.

I've got the USPA letter printed out and the letter from TSA, but want to have that extra bit of insurance with the cypress info.

I'm flying Wed. and just want to be prepared with all of the extra shit going on right now.

Thanks in advance to whoever can provide me a clicky!!:)
To borrow a line from Squeak...MY LIFE ROCKS!! HOW'S YOURS??!!!

Do a search for this post. The Cypres card is attached to it. Also in the new Cypres 2 manual they have a complete picture of the card also. I've actually used the manual's picture when I couldn't find the card in my wallet.

Chris

Re: [samhussey] The real problem with TSA and carrying rigs on the plane

Well, I just got home late last night from Cali, I took United out of El Centro CA to LAX and then US Air to Charllote NC, and on into FAY NC.

My gear was carry on, in a small Skater bag (Independent Truck Company) and fit in the over-head on all flights. No hassels from TSA, just very congested at all airports.

Stay safe,

Arvel
BSBD...........Its all about Respect,

USPA#-7062, FB-2197, Outlaw 499

Can anyon e help with a link to the x-ray picture of a cypress I can print out??!!

A copy to include the letter can be found HERE. Click on "x-ray card" and the pdf file will download in color.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I just went to Idaho from Fl. with my new rig.
I bought a large American tourister for it. I put a pillow in the shoulder straps to keep everything in shape, just in case some handler went crazy.
I then insured it for $5,000., and sent it in the luggage.
They actually called me to the baggage office to pick it up.